Help sexing baby panther

TracyM

I have purchased a baby that apparently is 3 weeks old seems small though. Just need help to know if its a male or female.

Attachments

• 20170425_090544.jpg
    20170425_090544.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 193
  • 20170425_090709.jpg
    20170425_090709.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 207
With the pictures, its near impossible to tell. Can you give me a picture of the baby cham standing straight, from the side view? The only way to really tell at this age is by looking at the base of the tail and its very difficult to see that in proportion with the rest of he/shes body.

I have so many pictures but can take more....how about these two pics?

Attachments

• 20170421_113800.jpg
    20170421_113800.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 20170423_171931.jpg
    20170423_171931.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 152
With the pictures, its near impossible to tell. Can you give me a picture of the baby cham standing straight, from the side view? The only way to really tell at this age is by looking at the base of the tail and its very difficult to see that in proportion with the rest of he/shes body.

Attachments

• 20170424_122351.jpg
    20170424_122351.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20170423_123957.jpg
    20170423_123957.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 161
3 weeks old? Who is selling chams that young? Seems very early to be selling them.
That's aproximately a month, although it's a pretty young age it's not a bad idea for someone looking for early socialization and exposure to their cham.

That's aproximately a month, although it's a pretty young age it's not a bad idea for someone looking for early socialization and exposure to their cham.

That's not even a month. I'm my non-professional opinion I don't think chams should be sold until at least 2 months of age (8 weeks) like most animals.

That's not even a month. I'm my non-professional opinion I don't think chams should be sold until at least 2 months of age (8 weeks) like most animals.
It is so small my veiled was 4 months when i got her and couldnt believe when the person showed up with this new baby. Everyone says the pictures dont do it justice as to how small it is when they see it.

Attachments

• 20170425_094141.jpg
    20170425_094141.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 166
Unlike other animals like dogs or cats, chameleons don't depend on their mothers or siblings for anything. In fact, in the wild, they most likely will never even know their mother at all. A dog or cat needs its mother to provide milk and it's siblings to learn social skills. Since the chameleon does not need this time, parting ways with a hatchling earlier than two months should do no harm at all and should not cause a lack of survival/mental delopment.....theyre made to live on their own. As long as the new owner is decently experienced, has a PROPER SETUP ready, and knows how to handle babies it should be just fine. Proper setup is the key here, that's really what they need the most and the right diet.

Unlike other animals like dogs or cats, chameleons don't depend on their mothers or siblings for anything. In fact, in the wild, they most likely will never even know their mother at all. A dog or cat needs its mother to provide milk and it's siblings to learn social skills. Since the chameleon does not need this time, parting ways with a hatchling earlier than two months should do no harm at all and should not cause a lack of survival/mental delopment.....theyre made to live on their own. As long as the new owner is decently experienced, has a PROPER SETUP ready, and knows how to handle babies it should be just fine. Proper setup is the key here, that's really what they need the most and the right diet.

Yes I know they don't need there mother like dogs and cats do. The reason I don't think they should be sold so young is
1. The stress of a new home for a Cham so young and small would be a lot harder on them then one slightly older and a bit bigger.

2. I don't think 3 weeks is long enough to ensure that the baby is healthy enough to be sold.

3. The person you sell it to will have to be around all the time to care for such a young chameleon.

That's just my opinion tho. Not trying to say it can't be done I just don't think it should be done. S/he does look good for such a tiny little thing.

Yes I know they don't need there mother like dogs and cats do. The reason I don't think they should be sold so young is
1. The stress of a new home for a Cham so young and small would be a lot harder on them then one slightly older and a bit bigger.

2. I don't think 3 weeks is long enough to ensure that the baby is healthy enough to be sold.

3. The person you sell it to will have to be around all the time to care for such a young chameleon.

That's just my opinion tho. Not trying to say it can't be done I just don't think it should be done. S/he does look good for such a tiny little thing.
It is eating and pooping well so, so far so good. Seems active...only time will tell. :)

My dude was 3 weeks old when i got him . now at 8 months hes super friendly and healthy. As long as baby tank nursary is set up properly and feeding. Vital vitamines and food.. your little guy should bloom in no time

Attachments

• 20170425_225407.jpg
    20170425_225407.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 159
My dude was 3 weeks old when i got him . now at 8 months hes super friendly and healthy. As long as baby tank nursary is set up properly and feeding. Vital vitamines and food.. your little guy should bloom in no time
Thats what i wondered regarding how to get calcium or vitamins in him right now he is basically eating fruit flies isnt really interested in the crickets yet.

The survival rate of babies below 2-3 months is much lower than older than 2-3 months. I raise a lot of panthers and experience a relatively good survival rate, almost all tend to do very well after 3 months of age. Before the 2-3 month age there are inexplicable deaths even though all the babies are treated the same. It goes without saying that the smaller babies are separated from the larger to give them a chance to thrive without the competition from their larger simblings. I don't believe panther babies should be sold at such a young age. Too many variables.

Back
Top Bottom