Help! Rescued a VERY sick Veiled :(

rcc760

Hello all! Let me just say, I DID NOT DO THIS TO THIS POOR CHAM! I have a very healthy chameleon of my own, I know how to take care of them. I don't want anyone attacking me over the condition of this cham.

So, I was walking around a swap meet last night and saw this poor cham at this disgusting little pet shop and just could not leave it there. I know it's not recommended buying from shops, etc., but she looked like she was severely suffering and I COULD NOT leave her there. I took her figuring I'd take her to my usual vet this morning and see what they say, if they think she can make it, etc., but they can't see me today apparently. :cautious:

The Cham does not appear to be dehydrated. She does appear a little skinny. But what worries me are her limbs. It looks like she has a horrible case of MBD, which I've never dealt with. My other Cham, Charlie, has never had an issue with that.

Here are some pics of the poor girl.

IMG_6838.jpeg
IMG_6839.jpeg
IMG_6840.jpeg
IMG_6841.jpeg

What do you guys think? Is there a way she can come back from this? Is there a way for me to nurse her back to health? Any advice would be very helpful! I'm so concerned about this girl.

Also don't worry about the cat in the background! She was more interested in the crickets we had and what my roommate was doing. Chameleons don't interest her. Bugs do haha

Your going to want to find a vet so they can give you liquid calcium in the proper dose to give for the size of the chameleon. Bless you for giving this girl a second chance at life ❤

Do you have a hospital bin setup?

@kinyonga @jannb @Kristen Wilkins

I have nothing set up for her right now, I've had her like 14 hours, and we were both sleeping for most of that :(

I'm about to go get stuff to make her a decent temporary cage. I have an old bearded dragon tank that I'm going to use for her for the time being. It's longer and shorter, but I saw that that will probably be better for her right now because of her limbs. If she falls, she won't fall far.

I have a double dome that I'm going to use for lighting for the time being. I know they're not recommended, but I'm not going to shell out the cash for a linear UVB until I know if she can be saved, you know? The double dome should be fine for now.

I just want what's best for her. I love my Charlie, even though she hates me haha, so it broke my heart to see this poor girl like this.

In addition to the calcium you will of course have to make sure that the husbandry is spot on...proper supplements, appropriate basking temperatures, proper UVB etc. and I'd also be careful not to overfeed her so she won't produce a large clutch of eggs.

This breaks my heart. I would have not even thought twice about purchasing her to try to give her a better life! Shame on the previous owner. They should not have animals.
not looks like a bad case of mbd and unfortunately it won’t go away. Shame she’s so young. But Atleast you can help her and she will learn to live with it.
Calcium is a must. The proper amounts of calcium with and without d3. And vitamins. Nice juicy gut loaded crickets. And the proper cage set up. Lots of vines to be on. And plants to hide behind so she feels safe. And watch Incase she’s not able to cling and climb. Don’t want her falling constantly and hurting herself. Deff bring her to the vet ASAP.
Bless you and I hope she turns out alright.

She has a good cage set up for right now. Once I have a vet prognosis, and once she improves a little, she'll get an upgraded cage.

I've been giving her a couple drops of water mixed with liquid calcium every few hours. She is very uninterested in crickets right now, but once she is, she'll have juicy ones for sure.

She's currently sitting at the bottom of her cage because she cannot cling to branches :( but the cage is short enough that she's getting a good temperature still.

And the soonest vet appointment I could get for her is Tuesday morning :( I'm just trying to keep her as comfortable as possible until then.

Okay good. Keep her comfortable until her appointment. A new environment and change could be why she’s not eating. After I moved one of chameleons from one side of the room to the other into a bigger cage he didn’t eat for a week. But she will eat when she gets hungry. Keep offering. Her staying at the bottom for now might be the best choice considering she may not be strong enough or may not yet know how to use her limbs to her best advantage. (I purchased a male veiled from a. Shop and he had mbd as a baby. Not even close to your new baby, but he is over a year now and has learned how to maneuver with his leg and it has not gotten worse. He is just fine. ) maybe put some leaves or something hanging down in part of the cage and maybe a small vine or stick or something like laying on the ground or like an inch off the ground with the leaves in front of it so she can feel like she’s in the air. She can climb and cling to the vine on the ground and be covered by the leaves so she feels safe like she’s up in the air hiding.

Hello all! Let me just say, I DID NOT DO THIS TO THIS POOR CHAM! I have a very healthy chameleon of my own, I know how to take care of them. I don't want anyone attacking me over the condition of this cham.

So, I was walking around a swap meet last night and saw this poor cham at this disgusting little pet shop and just could not leave it there. I know it's not recommended buying from shops, etc., but she looked like she was severely suffering and I COULD NOT leave her there. I took her figuring I'd take her to my usual vet this morning and see what they say, if they think she can make it, etc., but they can't see me today apparently. :cautious:

The Cham does not appear to be dehydrated. She does appear a little skinny. But what worries me are her limbs. It looks like she has a horrible case of MBD, which I've never dealt with. My other Cham, Charlie, has never had an issue with that.

Here are some pics of the poor girl.

View attachment 259719View attachment 259720View attachment 259721View attachment 259722

What do you guys think? Is there a way she can come back from this? Is there a way for me to nurse her back to health? Any advice would be very helpful! I'm so concerned about this girl.
Welcome @rcc760 . First off bless your heart . Taking on a chameleon In this condition will not be easy , she will be a lot of work I’m not sure if you fallow sweatpeas story of not completely worth checking out , Fb and Ig she is a fighter and give so much hope ❤️. She very well may not make it . However you are giving her a chance she did not have prior . I see you have set up a vet appointment great . As stated she will need liquid calcium it’s a long road . We have a boy that has early stages If Mbd it’s been a year oct he’s doing very well but it’s forever . She will always have deformities and her care will always be specialized . Keep her comfortable and hydrated . Can she eat on her own at all ?? Have you set her up with a hospital condo ?

Welcome @rcc760 . First off bless your heart . Taking on a chameleon In this condition will not be easy , she will be a lot of work I’m not sure if you fallow sweatpeas story of not completely worth checking out , Fb and Ig she is a fighter and give so much hope ❤. She very well may not make it . However you are giving her a chance she did not have prior . I see you have set up a vet appointment great . As stated she will need liquid calcium it’s a long road . We have a boy that has early stages If Mbd it’s been a year oct he’s doing very well but it’s forever . She will always have deformities and her care will always be specialized . Keep her comfortable and hydrated . Can she eat on her own at all ?? Have you set her up with a hospital condo ?
Yes, she is in a hospital bin right now. I am giving her water drops mixed with liquid calcium every couple hours. She has not tried to eat at all. I’ve offered crickets, but she’s not interested

Yes, she is in a hospital bin right now. I am giving her water drops mixed with liquid calcium every couple hours. She has not tried to eat at all. I’ve offered crickets, but she’s not interested
She Likely won’t try on Her own . She likely can not use her tongue . You want to stay under .5 of fluids at a time .

Here’s the plan for now: she’s getting a couple drops of water with liquid calcium a few times a day. She is kind of using her tongue to help her drink, which I’ve been told is good for her condition. I’m continuing to make adjustments to her hospital bin to ensure she’s comfortable and safe. Today she’s getting upgraded lighting and is starting a reptaboost regimen until I see the vet on Tuesday. I’m feeling hopeful guys ❤️

Attachments

• 4FC11957-B709-47A9-9FCC-F735E2DE681A.jpeg
    4FC11957-B709-47A9-9FCC-F735E2DE681A.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 95
  • ED85FAFB-B67F-4342-A86A-9C3CFBDCB03D.jpeg
    ED85FAFB-B67F-4342-A86A-9C3CFBDCB03D.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 130
Here’s the plan for now: she’s getting a couple drops of water with liquid calcium a few times a day. She is kind of using her tongue to help her drink, which I’ve been told is good for her condition. I’m continuing to make adjustments to her hospital bin to ensure she’s comfortable and safe. Today she’s getting upgraded lighting and is starting a reptaboost regimen until I see the vet on Tuesday. I’m feeling hopeful guys ❤
Sounds great . If your using a bin glass or a tot ( plastic ) watch your lights they heat up very quickly . If your have good conditions ( out side) and it’s not overly stressful for her you can sit with her out side . If this is stressful or it’s cold then just do as you are .

Here's an update for everyone! Pascal (her new permanent name) is alive and doing well. She went to the vet today and while they say she isn't out of the woods yet, she does have a chance. She is now taking drops of calcium twice a day, as the vet has told me. She is also being assist fed with Reptaboost and assist watered with some liquid calcium. She also has splints for the next week, which is when we'll go back in for a check up. I'm staying positive! She seems to be doing okay.

I will post pictures shortly!

Back
Top Bottom