Help/questions with egg laying bin

Cami2013

I have a 16"x11"x11" Rubbermaid-type tub that I filled with moistened play sand (I did a test tunnel to be sure I had the correct dampness). Cami's enclosure is screen 24"x24"x48", so her laying bin takes up a good portion of the bottom of her cage (about 1/3 of the space at the bottom). I had 4 live plants & had to remove 1 of them to make room for her laying bin. I have an automatic mister set to go off every 2 hours during the day & it hits just about everywhere in her viv. Her enclosure completely dries out between mistings. The 1st day or 2 she went down to check out her egg laying bin as evidence by her 4 foot prints in the sand. I checked her laying bin periodically throughout the next several days, sand dampness seemed appropriate still & no apparent further activity in the laying bin from Cami. I went out of town towards the end of last week & over the weekend. My boyfriend was taking care of her for me. He calls me on day 2 & says her laying bin has standing water in it???

What do I need to do differently? There isn't a place in her viv I can put it where it won't get misted. The play sand is so fine, if I drill holes in the container for drainage, it seems like the sand would drain too?? She is still round as ever & sometimes I think I can see the shape of an egg/eggs close to her hind legs (she has never been mated, but I know will still lay infertile eggs). Do chams automatically dig & lay when they are ready? Do I need to be doing something different to get the process going? Over the last couple days her colors have been darkening just a bit. She hasn't shed since 1/21, so can't tell if she's maybe getting ready to shed or if it's maybe related to needing to lay eggs.

Sorry so long.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Back
Top Bottom