Help pls---- I think my little guy is impacted!

paulexp

Chameleon info:
Your Chameleon -so this is waht I was told about this little guy. he's a male an ambanja, maybe 8-9 months old and ive had him for a couple of weeks.
Handling - once a day to check on him. my other cham i also handle once a day.
Feeding - i give him 7-10 1/4 size cricktes every morning (he seems to be eating them) and once a week i try to give him 2-3 small silk worms but he wont eat them.
Supplements - i use repti calcuim without d3 everyday, repti calcium with d3 every other sunday and zoo med RETPIVITE WITH D3 ALSO EVERY OTHER SUNDAY. i rotate every other sunday between the calcuim with d3 and the vitamin with d3.
Watering - 4 times a day with a mistkiing system using distilled water for 1.5 mins every time.
Fecal Description - poo was normal looking but the pee was a bit orange.
History - if you look at this post https://www.chameleonforums.com/new-family-members-121164/ you will get some history. too much for me to write.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - i use all reptibreeze for my chams for for this guy because he is so small and in bad shape i put him in a exo terra 18x18x18 glass terrarium, with a small umbrella plant and some vines and sticks for climbing. it would be easier for me to keep humidity up for him in the exo.
Lighting - 40 watt regular house bulb for heat and a shared 2' zoo med t5 h.o uvb light.
Temperature - during the day basking is averageof 83 and at night its around 75.
Humidity - it stays around 60
Plants - umberalla tree
Placement - on a coffee table type of stand
Location - in my living room.
Current Problem - guys i know i should take him to the vet but i cant! if you read my other post on this guy and his brother i saved them from an idiot. in doing so i paid 600 for both of these guys just to try and save them . i could have bought just his brother who is in much, way much better shape than this guy but i couldnt leave him to just passs away so i paid to try and save him also. i noticed this yesterday when i got home from work when i was doing my inspection of all my chams. i put him in warm water for about 15 mins and i was able to take off a bit with a q tip and it looked like the orange pee. today i also put him in warm water again for 15 mins and its hard and i wasnt able to scrape any more of it off. it always stays just like in the pictures. its hard. it never goes inside of him. anything i can do to help this little guy?

Attachments

• in1.jpg
    in1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 123
  • in2.jpg
    in2.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 117
  • in3.jpg
    in3.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 114
  • in4.jpg
    in4.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I know it is not what you want to hear, But he needs a vet. If it is an impaction and it doesn't come out, he will likely not survive. If it is not an impaction, then he most likely will not survive without vet care. I know that it is difficult to fork out more money after spending sooooo much trying to do something nice, but it may be your only option. I am in a similar situation, rescued a cham in need, and may have to spend a good deal of money on him. This is what you signed up for when you chose to rescue him.

He is lucky to have someone that cares so much. I hope that he get better and grows to be a BEAUTIFUL, HAPPY cham.

This may not be true at all but I have heard that you can feed them hornworms (I think) and it will help cleaning the system since it is mostly moisture. May not be hornworms but some sort of worm I remember it to be. But again, dont take this tip as an expert observation..

You're sure it is impaction and not a prolapse of some sort? Given that you have tried what you can without success, I would agree that it's time for a vet.

One thing I do with my impacted chams that I've never read here is: put them (their belly to be exact) in a nice warm water (just like you did) and after a few minutes I massage bottom part of their bellies gently. Works most of the time so might be worth a shot.

First more info, how long since he last pooped? Were the poops smooth or did it look as there might be parts of undigested crickets? That makes a lot of difference.

I would try the soaking the way mat3o suggested. I don't see how it could hurt. Just make sure the water is not hot. If it is hot to you it is way to hot for your cham.

Let us know if it works.

One thing I do with my impacted chams that I've never read here is: put them (their belly to be exact) in a nice warm water (just like you did) and after a few minutes I massage bottom part of their bellies gently. Works most of the time so might be worth a shot.

This is common practice with bearded dragons and works well for them, just try to make the water about the same temp as the basking spot and you will be ok. It might even feel cool to you at 85-90 degrees. If indeed it is an impaction AND your veiled eats fruits or veggies, you can also put a drop of olive oil on a piece of fruit and feed it. This has worked flawlessly for my beardie in the past, though I have never needed to do this for a cham.

First more info, how long since he last pooped? Were the poops smooth or did it look as there might be parts of undigested crickets? That makes a lot of difference.

I would try the soaking the way mat3o suggested. I don't see how it could hurt. Just make sure the water is not hot. If it is hot to you it is way to hot for your cham.

Let us know if it works.

thank you i will try these wjen i get home from work. the poo looked normal.

Back
Top Bottom