HELP PLEASE

GalaxyGhostly

I got a jacksons cham a few months back. I had researched for 6 months before that and I have a good sized set up with plants and climbs. I have two supplements for him D3 (x2 monthly) and regular every other feeding. I ordered him from backwater reptiles and I thought he came in good health. I have three major concerns about his health.

1. He has recently been sleeping in the day even though lights are out at 9 and the cage is covered with cloth? Could this be impaction? The humidity is at 50%.

2. All the cricket companies I order from are sending crickets that are too large or too small. I am worried for his digestive health. He is not dehydrated and his stomach is not swollen so I am not sure.

3. Finnally I am worried about MBD, when he came he seemed healthy but I soon noticed him twitching randomly with his mouth open. He seems of healthy weight, but I just want my cham to be okay.

Do any of you have advice. Much appreciated, thank you!

Cham Info
  • Your Chameleon - Jacksons, M, 10 Month. 4 month
  • Handling - once or twice a month
  • Feeding - Crickets 6-10 every day, gut loaded with fluckers orange cube
  • Supplements - I use flukers (D3) twice monthly and Flukers regular every other feeding
  • Watering - spray bottle twice day (30 sec), occasionally see drinking
  • Fecal Description -Brown and white some hard and some soft. not tested
  • History - came from backwater reptiles

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Mesh 16 x 16 x 20 inch
  • Lighting
    • Daylight blue reptile bulb 60 watts
    • Repti Sun 5.0 mini compact fluorescent lamp 13 watts
    • 13 hr on 11 hour off
  • Temperature - 85 - 74 unsure of lowest temp. I use a digital thermometer
  • Humidity - 40-60 % I have an humidifier in my room + misting. I use a humidity gauge
  • Plants -I have one tropical (nontoxic) plant, unsure of name
  • Placement - It is located in my room away from vents Cage is 4 feet off ground.
  • Location - North (north america)

Last edited:
1. Get rid of the orange cubes they are no good. Use fresh fruits and veggies to Gutload such as dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, berries, apples, pears, and melon. Etc.

2. Are you using any type of multi vitamin?

Jackson’s chams should be given calcium without d3 twice a week. A multi vitamin once a month and a calcium with d3 once a month.

3. He needs longer misting sessions to help stimulate drinking and so he can clean his eyes.

4. Get a tube uvb light. A t5 5.0.

1. Get rid of the orange cubes they are no good. Use fresh fruits and veggies to Gutload such as dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, berries, apples, pears, and melon. Etc.

2. Are you using any type of multi vitamin?

Jackson’s chams should be given calcium without d3 twice a week. A multi vitamin once a month and a calcium with d3 once a month.

3. He needs longer misting sessions to help stimulate drinking and so he can clean his eyes.

4. Get a tube uvb light. A t5 5.0.

I do use a multi vitamin and I will change his misting sessions could I have a link to the bulb? Thanks

This is what I use. Arcadia is also a great brand.

6A352A87-2595-4FD2-AAE4-C96E502CACFE.jpeg

As for the crickets, you should check your local pet store for some. And sleeping during the day is never a good sign... from that note you might want to schedule a vet appointment if nothing changes or gets worse.

He needs 12 hours of lights on and 12 solid hours of lights off, keep the cage covered if necessary to make it dark enough. They will not get proper sleep in the presence of visible light. This leads to sleeping during the day, low activity, poor appetite and eventually illness.
You need to improve your crickets gut load Flukers orange cubes are a very poor choice.
Your humidity should be higher especially overnight. you may need to add more plants or cover 2-3 sides with plastic to maintain proper humidity. I would recommend 3-5 misting per day with longer ones first thing in the morning and later in the evening.

Edit: You will need to use your multi vitamin once a month or switch your D3 to an all in one like Repashy Lo D twice a month.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom