HELP!! please

Rango201

Hi, I have a juvenile veiled chameleon. I believe it's a boy we have had him since June and the last week he has stopped eating :-( and I am having to give him water through a dropper because I haven't seen him drinking, his eyes are starting to sink in. please help me! Can I put his calcium in water? :confused:

Copy and paste the following, and give us as much detail as you can, there are a lot of things that could cause the problems you are experiencing, and this will help us figure out how to help you:

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Length is about the length of a paper towel
I believe it is a male
I don't handle him often as he doesn't like it
I feed him 5-7 crickets as told to and super worms they get dusted 1 week with calcium with vitamin D3
I have a automatic mister (reptilian) I also hand mist him. The automatic is set for 1 an hr and goes for 30 seconds.
I use a 75w infrared at night and a 75w intense basking spot bulb and I've one in the day.
He has a mesh cage with a hamoc, and fake plants. we has a habiscis plant in there I just removed it when I cleaned his cage yesterday morning.
He is on a mantle of a non working fire place

I believe it is a male
I feed him 5-7 crickets as told to and super worms they get dusted 1 week with calcium with vitamin D3
I have a automatic mister (reptilian) I also hand mist him. The automatic is set for 1 an hr and goes for 30 seconds.
I use a 75w infrared at night and a 75w intense basking spot bulb and I've one in the day.
He has a mesh cage with a hamoc, and fake plants. we has a habiscis plant in there I just removed it when I cleaned his cage yesterday morning.

It would be helpful if you would copy and paste the text from this link and answer ALL the questions: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

What I can tell you from what you've said so far is, you should be lightly dusting his feeders with calcium WITHOUT D3 with every feeding and calcium WITH D3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month.

Do you know what the temperatures are in your enclosure. Temps at the top, bottom and under his basking light? I think the 75W basking light could be too hot depending on how close he can get to it. Get rid of the infrared light at night. Chameleons need complete darkness at night to sleep. Unless your house drops down below about 50F at night, he doesn't need any heat at night.

Also, do you have a UVB light at all?

But filling out all the questions in the link and photos would help.

I believe it is a male
You should be gutloading your crickets with a simple premade gutload (Dino Fuel, Cricket Crack, Kricket Feast) Also, there are 3 supplements you should be using:
1. Calcium w/o d3- 3x's a week
2. Calcium w/d3- twice a month
3. multivitamin (herptivite)- twice a month

You might want to try a dripper, I have a chameleon that won't drink unless its froma dripper. You can simply make one with a cottage cheese contain and poke a very small whole (with a tack) in the bottom o it. Adjust the drips to drop on leaves.
Get rid of the infrared light. He does not need heat at night because it is natural for them to have about a 10 degree difference. Also, what type of UV bulb are you using? This is pretty important and what are the teperatures in the cage. (basking temp and ambient temp)
How big is the cage you have him in? Can you possibly get pictures of you setup and your chameleon?

Sorry so many more questions!! Just want to get the full picture:)

Yes I do have one I use for 8-12 hrs a day. I can't get him to eat at all and I am not sure what to do?

Back
Top Bottom