HELP PLEASE!!! new baby chameleon is having serious eye problems I need help

smileyisweird2021

I heard my baby chameleon who I’ve had for about 3 weeks now hissing in her cage and I go to check on them and this is what I see:
57BD9F54-EF2B-44D6-9365-5F6B0F7ED88F.jpeg

Please tell me what’s going on and what I can do!!!! I don’t want anything happening to her

Attachments

• C8010207-79AC-479F-A440-7BABC32D9020.jpeg
    C8010207-79AC-479F-A440-7BABC32D9020.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 76
I’m sorry to hear about your new baby. What kind of light are you using? Please post pictures of your setup.

Was the misting system on? Looks a lot like baby was trying to clean its eyes... Are the eyes back to normal now?

Was the misting system on? Looks a lot like baby was trying to clean its eyes... Are the eyes back to normal now?
I have a mister that sprays droplets/mist and a humidifier and the humidifier is on medium and the mister is spraying every 3 hours for 30 seconds.
1EF56E16-3CEC-4820-B3A1-079504D4FA9D.jpeg
33FB9F13-5BDD-4457-BF2D-710412C50C57.jpeg

No she looked like this when I woke up and the mister/humidifier was off during that time period. It also looks like she’s breathing funny, she occasionally is puffing up and opening her mouth. Her eyes are still swollen

No she looked like this when I woke up and the mister/humidifier was off during that time period. It also looks like she’s breathing funny, she occasionally is puffing up and opening her mouth. Her eyes are still swollen
You have way too many bulbs on her cage. That is going to produce a ton of heat and dehydrate her. Also that UVB T8 lamp... You have to get that plastic plate off that covers the bulb. Right now with the plastic piece over it she is not getting any UVB. The bulb should be replaced with a 10.0 T8 bulb. And the branches below it should be 5 inches down for her to get the correct UVI level.

Are you running heat bulbs at night too?

You have way too many bulbs on her cage. That is going to produce a ton of heat and dehydrate her. Also that UVB T8 lamp... You have to get that plastic plate off that covers the bulb. Right now with the plastic piece over it she is not getting any UVB. The bulb should be replaced with a 10.0 T8 bulb. And the branches below it should be 5 inches down for her to get the correct UVI level.

Are you running heat bulbs at night too?
Okay for right now should I just turn off a couple of the heat bulbs to reduce the amount of heat she’s getting? Also I’m taking off the plastic covering as we speak. No I do not run the bulbs at night.

Okay for right now should I just turn off a couple of the heat bulbs to reduce the amount of heat she’s getting? Also I’m taking off the plastic covering as we speak. No I do not run the bulbs at night.
Ok turn off all of those bulbs. They are basking bulbs and will provide very focused heat. You want 1 fixture only with a 60 watt regular white household incandescent bulb.

Remove that plastic piece and get the 10.0 reptisun T8 bulb for the fixture. 5 inch distance down to the branches below it.

Take the fogger out of the cage. Are you running it during the day? IF so this is a big no no with chams. We run them at night only. Running them during the day with tons of heat in the cage will cause the air to be hot and moist. This can cause a cham to get a respiratory infection.

What color have her urates been?

Describe her breathing to me.

Should I put her back in her cage? I’m currently hokdi
Ok turn off all of those bulbs. They are basking bulbs and will provide very focused heat. You want 1 fixture only with a 60 watt regular white household incandescent bulb.

Remove that plastic piece and get the 10.0 reptisun T8 bulb for the fixture. 5 inch distance down to the branches below it.

Take the fogger out of the cage. Are you running it during the day? IF so this is a big no no with chams. We run them at night only. Running them during the day with tons of heat in the cage will cause the air to be hot and moist. This can cause a cham to get a respiratory infection.

What color have her urates been?

Describe her breathing to me.
okay I just did and I will make a switch to nightly only. Her urates have been white she is very hydrated. I have a dropper going on her cage 24/7 that I see her vist frequently. She is currently on my hands right now I do t know weather or not I should put her back in the cage ( I followed your instructions btw). But she will puff up her throat and open her mouth slightly and make a little hissing noise. It’s not super often but it is happening quite a bit. Update this just happen: she opened her mouth and a little bubble appeared. Just posted two videos on YouTube so you can see her behavior:

Sorry for all the misspelling I’m all over the place rn because I’m so worried and I only have one hand available since she’s in my other hand

Ok baby is trying to clean its eyes... That is why they are puffing up. That is why she is rubbing them on your fingers.
Put her in her cage. Trigger the misting system to go off... It can take 2-4 minutes for her to clean whatever is bothering her eyes. So if your misting system does not go that long then you can use a hand held spray bottle. spraying the area she is in not her directly. using room temp water not cold not hot.
Look at this video...

fogger turn it off... Heat lamps all off replace ONE with a 60 watt regular incandescent bulb.

Now the breathing thing... I am concerned about a respiratory infection. This requires a vet that actually knows how to treat chams....
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

She is sick hun. Use the link above to find a vet near you and try to get her in today. Tell them it is an emergency and you suspect a respiratory infection. They will treat with antibiotics.

Ok baby is trying to clean its eyes... That is why they are puffing up. That is why she is rubbing them on your fingers.
Put her in her cage. Trigger the misting system to go off... It can take 2-4 minutes for her to clean whatever is bothering her eyes. So if your misting system does not go that long then you can use a hand held spray bottle. spraying the area she is in not her directly. using room temp water not cold not hot.
Look at this video...

fogger turn it off... Heat lamps all off replace ONE with a 60 watt regular incandescent bulb.

Now the breathing thing... I am concerned about a respiratory infection. This requires a vet that actually knows how to treat chams....
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

She is sick hun. Use the link above to find a vet near you and try to get her in today. Tell them it is an emergency and you suspect a respiratory infection. They will treat with antibiotics.

Okay thank you so much for your help, I’ll try to get her in today.

Okay thank you so much for your help, I’ll try to get her in today.
Don't keep holding her, I know its hard because your scared but it will increase stress for her. When you take her to the vet you will put her in a box with a few air holes. shove a stick through the bottom so she has something to grip and a small towel on the bottom of the box. Put her in on the stick and close up the box. She should sleep on the way there and this will reduce stress.

Don't keep holding her, I know its hard because your scared but it will increase stress for her. When you take her to the vet you will put her in a box with a few air holes. shove a stick through the bottom so she has something to grip and a small towel on the bottom of the box. Put her in on the stick and close up the box. She should sleep on the way there and this will reduce stress.
Okay just put her back in her cage, and I will do that when I can get her into the vet.

Okay just put her back in her cage, and I will do that when I can get her into the vet.
I do not want to scare you but this is not something you want to wait on hun. Vet asap. If they say they can not see you until next week you say no you have to bring her in today that she is showing signs of breathing issues from a respiratory infection. Be persistent. If she has a respiratory infection this can kill them very quickly without treatment.

I do not want to scare you but this is not something you want to wait on hun. Vet asap. If they say they can not see you until next week you say no you have to bring her in today that she is showing signs of breathing issues from a respiratory infection. Be persistent. If she has a respiratory infection this can kill them very quickly without treatment.
I know it’s very urgent but because it’s Labor Day weekend lots of the places I called are closing or don’t treat reptiles I’m gonna keep trying though.

Back
Top Bottom