Help please!! Chameleon vitamins!!

DASVlDANlYA

Hi everyone, I should start off by saying my cham is a Veiled and he's been with me for 6 weeks. guessing by his size, he's about 2-3 inches long from mouth to pooper (not including his tail.) So i'm guessing he's a little over 2 months. I got him from a reptile convention. He lives in the Zoo med reptibreeze 16x16x30 chameleon kit enclosure. And he gets his lighting/heat from the bulbs that came in the kit. (i actually replaced the 50w daylight bulb with a 100w daylight bulb because the one that came with the kit didn't give enough heat. The basking spot with the 50w would be at 75 degrees F *eyeroll*)

OKAY SO, I've read up as much as I could but I havent found an answer to my question. I give my chameleon repticalcium with no d3 every feeding.
  • I give him about 15 crickets twice a day, so 30 total and I dust all of them with no d3
  • I also leave phoenix worms in a shallow cup so he can climb up to it and snack whenever he wants. (no d3)
And I give him repticalcium with d3 and Herptivite 2x a month. (I'll dust one batch if cricks with one powder and the next batch of cricks with the other.) But recently, i noticed one of his eyes is a little wonky? The skin around it looks a little wrinkly or dry? And the color of the skin around that eye is darker as well. So I did the best I could in terms of info gathering on it and i've seen other people say he's (or she most likely) might shed soon/vitamin A deficiency/dehydration.

He shed a few weeks ago and is probably due for another soon. As far as I know, the Beta Carotene in herptivite is converted into vitamin A. I also mist him fairly often, making sure that I at least mist him 2x a day (for at least 2 minutes), and if I mist him more than 2x a day its for a shorter amount of time & cover everything in water. And I read that I should softly spray him with warm water as well because it helps clean his eyes.

Now, all that being said, I'm usually only able to sprinkle him with water on one side because that's the side that's facing me. I'm wondering if that (by some miracle lol) is it? I was able to sprinkle him the last few mists on both sides and his eye is looking a little better? I guess I just want to know if I'm doing everything correctly and if I should make a vet visit soon.

Also, I do own zoo med Reptivite reptile vitamins with d3 and wondered if thats the same thing as the other vitamins i listed above? I haven't given him this one as well because I'm afraid of giving too much vitamins.

But yeah, here's some stills of a video I took of him to see if that helps at all with figuring out what's wrong. It also looks a little sunken :/
IMG_2408.jpeg IMG_2409 2.jpeg IMG_2410.jpeg IMG_2411.jpeg

I would recommend reptivite, from what I’ve heard herptivite has artificial vitamin A, while reptivite has real vitamin A. I’m sorry I can’t help with the eye problem but im sure others can. :)

they can not convert carroten into vitamin A you need vitamin A in oil form. just one or 2 dropps a month. it builds up in the system so they should not get that much. perheps is the type of lighting in your setup wich is irritating the Eye. or he has got something in it and try to get it off, kinda difficult to say, go to the Health side of the forum and fill in the how to ask for help.

I agree with @leedragon that lighting could be an issue the uvb that comes with the zoo med tank has been said to irritate their eyes (although it has also been said to be corrected) . i think a linear tube would be better. could also be dehydration, their eyes will get sunken in if dehydrated but I think that would probably affect both eyes equally. how does his urate look? any yellow or orange? other than that, I'd second taking it to health forums or seeing a vet.

His eyes look a little sunkin, you can help his hydration by taking his entire enclosure(remove the lights) and put it in the shower. Make the water warm and aim the shower head at the wall. This will soak him and his cage(gently). Leave him in there for at least 15 minutes. This will encourage him not only to drink, but also wash his eyes. I don’t recommend any light that comes with that “chameleon kit”. Look at lightyourreptiles.com for the best lighting in the industry. Also, no need to dust Phoenix worms (AKA calciworms and black soldie fly larvae), they are by far the best feeder on the market and contain a great deal of calcium naturally.

I agree with @leedragon that lighting could be an issue the uvb that comes with the zoo med tank has been said to irritate their eyes (although it has also been said to be corrected) . i think a linear tube would be better. could also be dehydration, their eyes will get sunken in if dehydrated but I think that would probably affect both eyes equally. how does his urate look? any yellow or orange? other than that, I'd second taking it to health forums or seeing a vet.

Well his eye has gotten a bit better since i made the post which is great! I'm thinking it was dehydration because I've misted his enclosure more frequently and his eye has now the same color as the rest of his body + is not as sunken and all that. I added a paper towel wall to the outside of the back wall of his enclosure to try and hold moisture when I mist to see if it would help keep things a little more humid and I think it's been working. haha Also, he's had no yellow urate since i've gotten him, which is why I was confused on why it would be dehydration. BUT i mean its best to see if he gets better before i declare anything I guess.

Also sorry about not initially posting on the health forum, it's my first post and didn't realize there were categories. o:

Last edited:
they can not convert carroten into vitamin A you need vitamin A in oil form. just one or 2 dropps a month. it builds up in the system so they should not get that much. perheps is the type of lighting in your setup wich is irritating the Eye. or he has got something in it and try to get it off, kinda difficult to say, go to the Health side of the forum and fill in the how to ask for help.

hmmmm, okay I'll keep this in mind! I'll just put a drop on a phoenix worm. I'll also look into lighting. Thank you for the info!

His eyes look a little sunkin, you can help his hydration by taking his entire enclosure(remove the lights) and put it in the shower. Make the water warm and aim the shower head at the wall. This will soak him and his cage(gently). Leave him in there for at least 15 minutes. This will encourage him not only to drink, but also wash his eyes. I don’t recommend any light that comes with that “chameleon kit”. Look at lightyourreptiles.com for the best lighting in the industry. Also, no need to dust Phoenix worms (AKA calciworms and black soldie fly larvae), they are by far the best feeder on the market and contain a great deal of calcium naturally.

Yeah his eye looks a bit better since i made the post. More frequent mistings and a paper towel wall (which i feel is helping lol) to catch extra water + help with humidity is most likely working because it's the only thing I've changed to see if that really was the problem. And I will look into better lighting for him as well. Better to have safer options. Also, I don't dust the phoenix worms ahaha, I meant the (no d3) as in "without d3" so my bad! Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom