Help::p

Avallone

Hello, Iv'e just bought a beautiful male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. His name is "REPTAR". He was born late April,2011. So far I have him two days now and he has eaten 12 crickets yesterday and so far 13 crickets today. The Temperature is 80 degrees with a humidity of 60%. I keep the UVB light along with a 75 watt basking light on from 10:00am-3:00pm. I don't have a drip system but I do spray/mist the cage (18,18,20) evey 3-4 hours until my fake plants are dripping. Unfortunately, I haven't yet seen him drink and I NEEED to be sure he is hydrated. Anyone who has something to say in order to improve my enclosure please let me know Thank you

The Temperature is 80 degrees with a humidity of 60%. I keep the UVB light along with a 75 watt basking light on from 10:00am-3:00pm. I don't have a drip system but I do spray/mist the cage (18,18,20) evey 3-4 hours until my fake plants are dripping. Unfortunately, I haven't yet seen him drink and I NEEED to be sure he is hydrated. Anyone who has something to say in order to improve my enclosure please let me know Thank you

You may not see him drink as he may wait until he's not being watched. Especially as he's so new and not settled yet. If he's eating he's hydrated. Dehydrated chams have trouble shooting feeders as the mucous on the tip of their tongue decreases and the bugs won't stick. And, dehydrated chams often stop eating entirely.

Why such a short period of UV light? The rule of thumb is 12 hours a day. If you are trying to keep the cage from overheating just turn the basking spot off in the middle of the day.

so about what time should I turn the uvb off? and what time should i turn heating and lighting on. Thanks for the response!

Times for lights vary with your Sunrise time, my Chams started getting up early in Summer, so lights go on earlier........12 hours a day on, 12 off. That's a high wattage basking bulb for a small Viv - what are your basking/ ambient temps gradient? And in answer to your question - check his poop, if the urate section is white, he is hydrated.....if yellowish, then its like you having yellow urine (not properly hydrated, don't panic......:)).
If the urate is orange, then action needs to be taken to give extra hydration - more mist, shower, pipettte,...............

Poop should have a big brown bit and a littler white bit (the urate)

Nice, You might not see him drink for a bit, because chameleons like to hide so much from us.....
Do get a dripper asap though, and if you want a closer inspection of him and your setup the post up some pics.
And I noticed your profile said you DJ, so you've got to have a name?....

Back
Top Bottom