Help on laying please..

keemo

Hi All,

My female veiled who I mated 32 days ago has still not layed? She is bursting and you can see the egg shapes in her sides. I have read and believe she should normally lay between 20 and 30 days after mating? I am considering puting her in a laying bin as she doesnt seem to be interested in the tub she has in her viv. She is extremely restless and is pacing all over her viv and doesnt seem to settle for more than a couple of mins at a time..

As you can appreciate this is my first time looking after a pregnant mother and I would be most grateful if you guys could offer some advice on what is or has worked best for you? The tub in her viv is 18x8x8 and I have used a 50/50 mix of soil and sand which is damp.

If I do use a bin shoulkd I put anything else in there with her? Do I need light? Any help would be great at this nerve racking time...

Best regards

Mike

Sounds like she's almost ready.
Have you made the cage feel secure and secluded?
I taped brown paper around the outside to make it more private.
Do you have a branch going down into the bin?
if 8" is the depth, it may not be deep enough for her.
If you decide to put her in a separate bin (trash can) I would provide a low watt basking light and at least 12 to 18 inches of medium.
Make sure when she starts to dig that you leave her alone.
It takes a looooong time for them to dig the tunnel, lay and refill the hole. Agnes spent around 16 hours on the whole project (pretty fast) It could take a day or two.
When she's done and climbs back up mist her a lot and give her a good calcium dusted meal!
These poor girls have to work so hard ... nature is quite cruel to the females!

-Brad

Cheers Guys,

Yeah its mega exciting, I plan to tape some brown paper all the way round her viv and see how she gits on over the next couple of days. If this fails I will look at using the big trash can method as I just dont want her to be eggbound.....

I will keep you guys posted!!! :)

Cheers Guys,

Yeah its mega exciting, I plan to tape some brown paper all the way round her viv and see how she gits on over the next couple of days. If this fails I will look at using the big trash can method as I just dont want her to be eggbound.....

I will keep you guys posted!!! :)

Update!!

Guys,

She has still not laid so yesterday I put her in a 80 litre trash can, She has dug 2 very deep holes and seems to be liking her 2nd hole better, it is 1 hour away from her normal lights out but I am unsure on wheither I should let the lights go out or should I leave it on in case she wants to continue to dig? What is best as I want to ensure she is rested however I dont want her to abandon the hole? Which is the best choice guys??

Thanks again.

Mike

I leave the lights on for mine, but I don't know if everyone does.

Thanks for the reply, however do you mean you leave the basking light on all the time? or do you use a lesser wattage light when they are laying? Possibly like a 40 watt red light??

Most of our females lay eggs in the trash can method. The heat lamp is set above one of the cut openings, and so its function is basically to keep the interior warm enough, and provide some light, not to provide a basking area. I don't know that they really need light to lay eggs, but The lower half of the room is quite cool, and so the interior of the trash can needs some additional warmth. Ventilation inside there is not the greatest, so, you definitely don't want her getting hot.

Most of our females lay eggs in the trash can method. The heat lamp is set above one of the cut openings, and so its function is basically to keep the interior warm enough, and provide some light, not to provide a basking area. I don't know that they really need light to lay eggs, but The lower half of the room is quite cool, and so the interior of the trash can needs some additional warmth. Ventilation inside there is not the greatest, so, you definitely don't want her getting hot.

Yeah I have changed the 100 watt to a 60 so its just for light and to keep the temp up slightly. She has still continued to dig the same hole which is pretty deep now as when she is digging you can jus abot see her tail. I will be leaving the light on as I am sure she will lay soon, (hopefully),,, She just seems to be taking her time as she has breaks from the digging and then reurns to dig more, is this normal???

Thanks again for the support and advice.

Mike

Yey!! She laid 43 perfectly white eggs this morning!! They are different sizes though? Is this normal?? Also what is the best temp for the duration of incubation? I have set it to 78??

She is also doing fine! Gave her a good long drink and some well dusted wax worms and locusts which she stuffed down pretty quickly... :)

Glad she finally laid them for you!

You said they are different sizes....some may be infertile (larger) and some fertile (smaller). I usually just incubate them all and if any show absolutely that they are no good then can be removed later.

Now comes the hardest part...waiting for them to hatch!

Yeahhhhh! When i read your first sentence, i had to laugh, i just asked that same question a couple of weeks ago. lol. Boy, it's a good thing we don't get worried about our chams. I'm really happy for you and HER. That's alot of eggs, give the girl some silkworms! Congrats and TRY to enjoy the next...............months.

Debby

Here are some pics of the eggs, Do they look ok to you guys?

S7000692.jpg

S7000690.jpg

Back
Top Bottom