Help needed with Jackson Chameleon Hatchlings

Iguanagirl8662

A lady bought a Chameleon from my boyfriend's work and it laid eggs which hatched and she gave 2 of the babies back to the store. The store can't sell them so we have decided to adopt them but I want to make sure we have everything right for them.

We are building two pvc frame mesh cages which will have paper towel substrate, plants, each cage will have a drip system, 5.0 UVB light and a basking spot of 85F.

Someone tried to tell me today that baby chameleons should only get UVB light once a week and heat for only 10 minutes after eating. That doesn't sound right to me from what I've read they need 10-12hrs of UV and basking light.

Last question is what should we feed them fruit flies or small crickets?

Thanks so much for any help and if you have anything else to add feel free.

First off, Jackson's Chameleons do not lay eggs, they give live birth. Did you see the eggs? If so this is not a Jackson's chameleon. If babies just showed up in the cage they may be Jackson's but I'm sure we would need a pic to tell you for sure. If they are new born Jackson's chams then they will need fruit flies for the first weeks. They also like the uvb just as much as the parents do, keep the humidity up and the temps low. That is if these are Jackson's chams. Post some pics!

if baby jacks then the basking temp is too high.
80F is more then enough, 76-78 might even be better. try a 40w bulb or a 25w if temps are still too high.
yes, lights on for 12 hours a day...UVB too.

fruitflys and then after two weeks or so try newly hatched crickets (real pinheads), say less then 1 week old.

again, jacksons don't lay eggs so we need photos to make sure we are giving you the correct advice.

Harry

Thanks for the info. I did not see the eggs, the lady just brought the babies in and I just assumed it laid eggs, but the mother is definitely a Jackson. I'll post pictures of the babies when we bring them home on Thursday.

indeed no egg layers , take care of the babies similar as the parents , i just had ofspring of my jacks this thursday and they already feed on the smallest crickets and fruitflies , raise them not to warm and mist or spray regular 2 a 3 times a day grts

I just had 8 little Jacksons born and are just 5 days old today. they are eating fruitflies and pinhead crickets. They're temps has been at 77 most of the time with high humidity and I also mist them 3-4 times a day in which they are drinking from the leaves. They all look great and are active and healthy. Hope this helps a little.

Back
Top Bottom