Help needed ASAP

Hi, I am a first time chameleon owner and think my 6 month old male veiled might have a respiratory infection. He just started sitting like this today and I don’t know what to do. Does anyone know what this is? He is not gasping for air or keeping his mouth open ,just sitting like this.
You need a reptile Vet now.... If this is an RI he will go down hill very very rapidly. By the time they start pointing their nose up they are struggling to breathe. Your husbandry has alot of corrections that must be done which we can help you with. But honestly without vet care if this is an RI he will die.

You can start reading through this to learn the right husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

While many of us think of Yemen as being essentially a desert, it does have some beautiful lush areas and mountains, which is where our chameleons come from. While not a tropical rainforest, it isn’t totally arid.

Not at all but lushed areas doesn´t mean it produce 100 humiditys. I have lushes ares here in sweden and it doesn´t get 100 humidity day, night, summer or winter, unless raining. I think what happens here is that 100 % humidity was recomeded for other species which this occur and was extrapolated to yemens. Next guy who reads this doesn´t know of it´s origins and just passed on and then people belive you got to have same humidity as high lands chameleons or jungle living ones.

Not at all but lushed areas doesn´t mean it produce 100 humiditys. I have lushes ares here in sweden and it doesn´t get 100 humidity day, night, summer or winter, unless raining. I think what happens here is that 100 % humidity was recomeded for other species which this occur and was extrapolated to yemens. Next guy who reads this doesn´t know of it´s origins and just passed on and then people belive you got to have same humidity as high lands chameleons or jungle living ones.
It is all info that has been put out by Petr Necas on Veileds... This is where this is coming from.

I don't know the answer for certain as I haven't been to yemen and can only look at things people have posted, but petr necas and I think bill strand recommend nights to be 100 or near for veileds(hence the fogging). I know you're a longtime member and know what you're talking about. I think the debate should be taken up with necas and strand. People here are mostly just going along with what they have been saying.

I don't know the answer for certain as I haven't been to yemen and can only look at things people have posted, but petr necas and I think bill strand recommend nights to be 100 or near for veileds(hence the fogging). I know you're a longtime member and know what you're talking about. I think the debate should be taken up with necas and strand. People here are mostly just going along with what they have been saying.
Bill recommends 80-100% with moving airflow for Veileds. Petr is the one that says 100%

Misting during the day doesn't cause RIs and isn't dangerous(though I do recommend two heavy misting times before lights in the AM and after lights in the PM). Other issues regarding ventilation, humidity, stress, etc contribute to RIs.

In my pot tent, i can get to 100%, without fog, if the lights are off, just running the humidifier. The "fog" from the humidifier is sonic pulsed water, it has not "evaporated" yet. For ventilation, i have a 1foot hole at the bottom, and a 1 foot hole at the top.

The ventilation is the important part IMHO. Otherwise, I think most chameleons will get their hydration just fine through whatever means they can(misting, fogging, dripper, etc)
i agree with this. I mean i have never fogged and humidity here is slightly higher than recommended... so fogging just makes it way to humid during the day, the moisture doesn't leave. So i mist well in the morning and an hour before lights off. Worked well for the past 8 months

No. I am not certain at all maybe 40-70% certain. I go by yemen doesn´t have the climate for 100% humidity, lushes areas doesn´t mean 100% humidity, the latter is a certain. I´ll ask Necas later on. I have seen his recomendations on putting the humidty at night or raising it at night. the 100 % humidity sounds like an extrapolering from other chameleon species.

It's definitely not an extrapolation, you can find experts saying that humidity in their range reaches up to 100% humidity at night regardless of the season:

"The climate in the Wadis is specific. Down in the Wadis lush tropical vegetation thrives in the rainy season while in the dry season they get completely dry so that even Acacias lose their leaves. The climate is typically hot during the daytime and very cold at night. The humidity at daytime is low. Even below 30%. At night it rises to 100% regardless of season. As temperatures reach the dew point so heavy fogs forms during the night and early morning hours all year ‘round."

Found here:
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-90-veiled-chameleon-husbandry-natural-environment-cage/

Or you can listen to the podcast episode.

It's definitely not an extrapolation, you can find experts saying that humidity in their range reaches up to 100% humidity at night regardless of the season:

"The climate in the Wadis is specific. Down in the Wadis lush tropical vegetation thrives in the rainy season while in the dry season they get completely dry so that even Acacias lose their leaves. The climate is typically hot during the daytime and very cold at night. The humidity at daytime is low. Even below 30%. At night it rises to 100% regardless of season. As temperatures reach the dew point so heavy fogs forms during the night and early morning hours all year ‘round."

Found here:
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-90-veiled-chameleon-husbandry-natural-environment-cage/

Or you can listen to the podcast episode.
Interesting. I am not totally convinced thou. I will have to ask Necas himself later one. then again it says during the rainy season, if it rains it´s 100 % humidity but that doesn´t have to do with the lushes. temperatures affect this aswell 100 % humidity in hot temperatures iis not the same amount of water as 100 % humidity in cold. Since air capacity of containing water changes with temperature.

Here is the bio on the guy who stated 100% humidity at night. He's been there and observed them in the wild: https://chameleonacademy.com/member/petko-dvorak/ . I just go off of what they witness--probably way more accurate then my gut instinct, especially since they are actively seeking out chameleons and then testing humidity to be as accurate as possible.

And here is Necas' care/wild info on Veiled Chameleons: https://www.chameleons.info/en/chameleo-calyptratus/ which states for 100% humidity.

I am not certain at all maybe 40-70% certain. I go by yemen doesn´t have the climate for 100% humidity, lushes areas doesn´t mean 100% humidity, the latter is a certain.
How do you know that they don't have the climate to get up to 100% humidity? What is this based on? I could come to the same faulty conclusion based on the humidity in my own region. Like you said, humidity (relative humidity and dewpoint) depends on many factors.

We shouldn't make estimates based on our own climate especially since Sweden is vastly different than Yemen--the climates are going to be completely different. The distance between Sweden and Yemen is huge! For people here in the united states, it would be like basing the climate of Guatemala on the climate from Northen Canada. Yemen and Guatemala are super close to the equator while Northern Canada and Sweden are very very very far from the equator. The climates aren't even comparable.

Here is the bio on the guy who stated 100% humidity at night. He's been there and observed them in the wild: https://chameleonacademy.com/member/petko-dvorak/ . I just go off of what they witness--probably way more accurate then my gut instinct, especially since they are actively seeking out chameleons and then testing humidity to be as accurate as possible.

And here is Necas' care/wild info on Veiled Chameleons: https://www.chameleons.info/en/chameleo-calyptratus/ which states for 100% humidity.

How do you know that they don't have the climate to get up to 100% humidity? What is this based on? I could come to the same faulty conclusion based on the humidity in my own region. Like you said, humidity (relative humidity and dewpoint) depends on many factors.

We shouldn't make estimates based on our own climate especially since Sweden is vastly different than Yemen--the climates are going to be completely different. The distance between Sweden and Yemen is huge! For people here in the united states, it would be like basing the climate of Guatemala on the climate from Northen Canada. Yemen and Guatemala are super close to the equator while Northern Canada and Sweden are very very very far from the equator. The climates aren't even comparable.
Based on the amount of rain it recives, the bodies of water, the type of plants, how far aparts they are, how vast canopies and everything there is in contraist to places where high humidity occurs.
Yepp that is true they are vastly difference, the comparation was to point out lusheness doesn´t mean 100% humidity. But I could be dead wrong and you could be right.

Based on the amount of rain it recives, the bodies of water, the type of plants, how far aparts they are, how vast canopies and everything there is in contraist to places where high humidity occurs.
Yepp that is true they are vastly difference, the comparation was to point out lusheness doesn´t mean 100% humidity. But I could be dead wrong and you could be right.
I agree. I do appreciate your comparison because it causes us to make sure that our info is indeed correct and that we have not made a mistake.

Are you sure he's not trying to get under the basking light?
Does he ever climb on the lid of the cage?
Does he gape? Have stringy saliva? Wheeze?

Back
Top Bottom