Help, nails!

Dankmeleon

I just took in a veiled and jackson chameleon today off craigslist.

they are beautiful and acting healthy(a little obese, but well hydrated)

but they are each missing nails on each hand, i didn't do the official count, but it seemed as if they were each missing at least one nail on each hand if not more

is there anything that can be done to help these guys regrow nails?

here he is, i havn't photographed the jackson yet, but the veiled is very cool looking, lite turquoise, not too much intense color though

101_0519.jpg

i dunno what kid you are referring to, but i got these from a couple who purchased them at petsmart kept them for awhile and decided the cricket and hydration thing was too much, i got an incredible deal, basically i paid way less than whole sale for all the accesories and nice cages, and the chams came with it for free

Nails may or may not regrow, depending on where and how they were lost. If the "root' is gone, they're gone. If just the exterior portion is gone, they will grow back in time.

Dont' worry though, unless there is an infection.

If the animal spends time on the walls, you should change the plants or something to make them more comfortable. Comfortable chameleosn do not usually climbs walls.

thanks i did that this morning, i put them in cages with plants and realized they were not very capable of getting to them, so i built them each a bamboo frame so they have something to grip insteads of stick nails into, they are doing really good this morning!

also i really don't know much about the diet they were on except for they were over fed dusted reptical calcium with d3 on probably every feeding

is there any supplements i can give them to help ?

I would just get them on a regular supplementing schedule.
Wait a couple of weeks though before you dust with anything.
Get them outside (being careful of temps for the Jackson's) and don't D3 for at least a month or two.
Lots of water may help flush out their systems as well.
Is the Jack a male too?

-Brad

I would just get them on a regular supplementing schedule.
Wait a couple of weeks though before you dust with anything.
Get them outside (being careful of temps for the Jackson's) and don't D3 for at least a month or two.
Lots of water may help flush out their systems as well.
Is the Jack a male too?

-Brad

I'm curious why you suggested he doesn't supplement* with D3 and dust for a period. Is it to make sure that the previous owners didn't over dust and/or supplement* with D3?

to much calcium can cause little bumps on the bones so thats prob why brad said to hold off for a bit and to much d3 can also be bad. it is better to get them some natural sun and try to hydrate them as much as possible to try and flush out there systems like brad said

Back
Top Bottom