Help my juvenile veiled chameleon keeps eating sphagnum moss and won’t eat nothing else

Augustmorningstar

She is a juvenile veiled chameleon, I’ve had her for about 2 weeks now and yesterday I added some sphagnum moss and since then she would come down and eat the moss, I’m worried that she can sick or potentially not able to poop

her terrarium is 16”x16”x30”
Lights are mini combo some lamp with a 13 w 5.0 uvb mini compact fluorescent lamp and a 60 w daylight blue lamp

Her basking spot is usually between 85-90 F and the lower part about 70 F, I also spray her terrarium about 3-4 times a day as a water dripper that runs for about 20 min 3 times a day
Photos are form 10 min ago

any tips help!

Attachments

• 010E5FAB-4206-4D9E-9C53-95CDEDA38F1D.jpeg
    010E5FAB-4206-4D9E-9C53-95CDEDA38F1D.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 47FD33A3-C73F-47A9-BD78-6B3FA3C80AEC.jpeg
    47FD33A3-C73F-47A9-BD78-6B3FA3C80AEC.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 78
  • 31F2C0EB-BCD5-4FD4-93FA-7CDCDB4864A7.jpeg
    31F2C0EB-BCD5-4FD4-93FA-7CDCDB4864A7.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 82
  • C64E8934-DA82-4E49-93E0-8FC705106DCA.jpeg
    C64E8934-DA82-4E49-93E0-8FC705106DCA.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 73
Remove the moss. All of it. All its doing is providing a breeding ground for bacteria, right there for her to eat.

Fill out this form when you can, I can see right off the bat some husbandry issues. FiIl out with as much detail as possible.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

ALSO, dont make 2 threads about the same topic. It can be veryyy confusing if you have two threads going.

Remove the moss. All of it. All its doing is providing a breeding ground for bacteria, right there for her to eat.

Fill out this form when you can, I can see right off the bat some husbandry issues. FiIl out with as much detail as possible.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

ALSO, dont make 2 threads about the same topic. It can be veryyy confusing if you have two threads going.
Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 3 months old , female and I have had her for 2 weeks now
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only when I feed her so 1-2 times a day
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? ()I’m feeding her Meal worms and hornworms as much as she can for 10-15 minutes I also just got some Dubai roaches but she don’t like them , I gut load them with kale, mustard greens, apples, carrots
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use repti calcium with out d3 every feeding and I use repti calcium with d3 every other week same with the exo terra multi vitamin
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? ()At the moment I water bitter with a tube at the bottom so it drip into the terrarium and I spray it 3-4 times a day for like 1 minute and yes I have seen her drink
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? It’s dark brown with a white thingy at the end and it’s seem like it’s medium soft and she poops regularly every morning like clock work and no I have not tested for parasites
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.() unfortunately no,

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? ()It’s screened 16”x16”x30”
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? ()I’m using zoo med mini combo deep dome light fixture with 1 zoo med repti sun 5.0 uvb and 1 blue daylight bulb and the light schedule is 12 day and 12 night
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? () The top ranged from 85-90F and then gradually drops to 75F and at it stays 73F (my gf like the apartment warm, I measure my temps with a digital thermometer at the top and use a temperature gun to double check
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? () I’m not sure what the humidity levels are but I spray most her terrarium 3-4 times a day
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? ()I’m using both the live plants are 1 dragon tree and 1 aloe Vera
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Its next to a window in the spare room that no one really uses and it next floor heater that keeps the room at 70-75 degrees all day and night
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in Eugene Oregon

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about () she won’t eat her food

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 3 months old , female and I have had her for 2 weeks now
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only when I feed her so 1-2 times a day you shouldn't be handling this often. you should handle once or twice a week at most imo
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? ()I’m feeding her Meal worms and hornworms as much as she can for 10-15 minutes I also just got some Dubai roaches but she don’t like them , I gut load them with kale, mustard greens, apples, carrots no mealworms, try superworms. mealworms will cause impaction.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use repti calcium with out d3 every feeding and I use repti calcium with d3 every other week same with the exo terra multi vitamin
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? ()At the moment I water bitter with a tube at the bottom so it drip into the terrarium and I spray it 3-4 times a day for like 1 minute and yes I have seen her drink
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? It’s dark brown with a white thingy at the end and it’s seem like it’s medium soft and she poops regularly every morning like clock work and no I have not tested for parasites the white thing is a urate. that's their pee
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.() unfortunately no,

• Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? ()It’s screened 16”x16”x30” minimum is 18x18x36 but your best bet is a 2x2x4 screen cage.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? ()I’m using zoo med mini combo deep dome light fixture with 1 zoo med repti sun 5.0 uvb and 1 blue daylight bulb and the light schedule is 12 day and 12 night make that bulb white light, colors hurt their eyes. you have to have a linear bulb or she will not survive to the fullest extent. you need a linear 10.0 or 12% bulb
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? () The top ranged from 85-90F and then gradually drops to 75F and at it stays 73F (my gf like the apartment warm, I measure my temps with a digital thermometer at the top and use a temperature gun to double check the top should be 85 (basking) at most
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? () I’m not sure what the humidity levels are but I spray most her terrarium 3-4 times a day you need to have a humidity gauge in order to tell humidity. it should be 30-40 % during the day 70-100 % at night
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? ()I’m using both the live plants are 1 dragon tree and 1 aloe Vera
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Its next to a window in the spare room that no one really uses and it next floor heater that keeps the room at 70-75 degrees all day and night
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in Eugene Oregon
please note my annotations in red

Back
Top Bottom