Help My Chameleon isn’t eating.

yes unfortunately I thought it would be a good enclosure but you guys have me freaking out :( like I’ve seen the chameleons with the bone problems and they look weird. I feel besides the peeling skin my Chameleon looks normal? And yes here is the bulb

Attachments

• 15215269-1B6F-45C2-9E81-36FD6D856BD9.jpeg
    15215269-1B6F-45C2-9E81-36FD6D856BD9.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 47
  • F9E4660A-1731-4846-9B13-D7A6B69AC51D.jpeg
    F9E4660A-1731-4846-9B13-D7A6B69AC51D.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 24975ACD-C196-431D-847B-24F69BCB9939.jpeg
    24975ACD-C196-431D-847B-24F69BCB9939.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 49
This is my boy clinging to the smallest stick in his entire cage he has a bit of shed left on his stomach and some on his face but otherwise he looks normal right ? Or am I missing something :(

Attachments

• 26AC070F-4F47-424D-9E40-357CA03A68A9.jpeg
    26AC070F-4F47-424D-9E40-357CA03A68A9.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 57
yes unfortunately I thought it would be a good enclosure but you guys have me freaking out :( like I’ve seen the chameleons with the bone problems and they look weird. I feel besides the peeling skin my Chameleon looks normal? And yes here is the bulb
I am guess you do not have the package for it anymore. So from that it is either a mercury vapor 2 in 1 bulb which is dangerous for cages. These should only be used on very large free range set ups because of the UVB levels they produce at close range.
OR
It is a regular basking bulb that has no uvb at all.

Once you know what the actual cage is that your getting I can help with the exact fixtures you will need for lighting. So knowing the exact width right to left is important fixtures come in a 24, 36, or 48 inch length and you want them to go all the way across.

This is my boy clinging to the smallest stick in his entire cage he has a bit of shed left on his stomach and some on his face but otherwise he looks normal right ? Or am I missing something :(
I am not seeing anything specific to MBD. But it starts internally. The external signs are the last we see.

I am guess you do not have the package for it anymore. So from that it is either a mercury vapor 2 in 1 bulb which is dangerous for cages. These should only be used on very large free range set ups because of the UVB levels they produce at close range.
OR
It is a regular basking bulb that has no uvb at all.

Once you know what the actual cage is that your getting I can help with the exact fixtures you will need for lighting. So knowing the exact width right to left is important fixtures come in a 24, 36, or 48 inch length and you want them to go all the way across.
So originally when he was small I bought the paludarium kit and it including this small 3 in 1 bulb now I have the big three in one bulb second pic and I read the directing and have his basking area spaced far enough from the light and what not and it specifically says on the stuff it helps prevent MBD so I thought it was good for him ☹️ It even has a little chameleon on the box and I realize now you meant to send you pictures of the actual bulb not the holder and I feel dumb but I can send pics later when his light is off it’s either 125 or 175 honestly idk I had the guy tell me which one was best for my enclosure size and chameleon

Attachments

• 1A7C7A28-C047-4EF7-B5C1-5335CE63AD8C.png
    1A7C7A28-C047-4EF7-B5C1-5335CE63AD8C.png
    284 KB · Views: 76
  • AC81AB83-9493-425C-9AE6-96B4E41CBCF3.png
    AC81AB83-9493-425C-9AE6-96B4E41CBCF3.png
    875.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 73B75F3D-913C-4976-9A68-8F202EE059CC.png
    73B75F3D-913C-4976-9A68-8F202EE059CC.png
    246.3 KB · Views: 50
So originally when he was small I bought the paludarium kit and it including this small 3 in 1 bulb now I have the big three in one bulb second pic and I read the directing and have his basking area spaced far enough from the light and what not and it specifically says on the stuff it helps prevent MBD so I thought it was good for him ☹ It even has a little chameleon on the box and I realize now you meant to send you pictures of the actual bulb not the holder and I feel dumb but I can send pics later when his light is off it’s either 125 or 175 honestly idk I had the guy tell me which one was best for my enclosure size and chameleon
Yeah it is not that they arent ok to use... The coil bulbs are bad... The 2 in 1 your using is a mercury vapor. These should not be used without a solarmeter 6.5 to measure the UVI output to make sure it is at a safe distance. While underexposure is bad and leads to MBD overexposure is equally as dangerous. It is like you going out to the beach day after day being already burned. We don't know a lot about it but lets just say the UVI levels that these bulbs produce at close exposure is higher then what we even see on earth with the sun. Even the bulbs that are recommended if used at an incorrect distance can cause the same issues. But with these we know the distances for use.

So originally when he was small I bought the paludarium kit and it including this small 3 in 1 bulb now I have the big three in one bulb second pic and I read the directing and have his basking area spaced far enough from the light and what not and it specifically says on the stuff it helps prevent MBD so I thought it was good for him ☹ It even has a little chameleon on the box and I realize now you meant to send you pictures of the actual bulb not the holder and I feel dumb but I can send pics later when his light is off it’s either 125 or 175 honestly idk I had the guy tell me which one was best for my enclosure size and chameleon
And it says 3 in one not two in one ☹️ I’m not sure about anything everything has remained the same for an entire year he’s had this enclosure specifically since June and he’s been eating fine other than how obviously too small my enclosure has gotten (he literally grew 4 inches since June) and I didn’t anticipate him to grow that fast and I feel bad enough about it but I give him as much space in there and he has multiple branches he walks on and he has an outside area I would say enclosure but it’s really just a huge tree in the little green room and I let him go crazy and he loves it because I realize how cooped up he looks so I try to give him range in the meantime ☹️

And it says 3 in one not two in one ☹ I’m not sure about anything everything has remained the same for an entire year he’s had this enclosure specifically since June and he’s been eating fine other than how obviously too small my enclosure has gotten (he literally grew 4 inches since June) and I didn’t anticipate him to grow that fast and I feel bad enough about it but I give him as much space in there and he has multiple branches he walks on and he has an outside area I would say enclosure but it’s really just a huge tree in the little green room and I let him go crazy and he loves it because I realize how cooped up he looks so I try to give him range in the meantime ☹
LOL yeah I call them 2 in 1. They call them 3 in 1 UVA, UVB, Heat... Basically.

Breathe. It will be ok. I will help you if you like. But start reading through this husbandry program for me, so you understand what I explain and it will make it all much easier for you. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

And this one https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

And he could go weeks without eating and would not die. Lack of food only kills them when they are already extremely thin. So no need to worry about that right now. Could just be the shedding. it is very common for them to go off food when shedding.

Yeah it is not that they arent ok to use... The coil bulbs are bad... The 2 in 1 your using is a mercury vapor. These should not be used without a solarmeter 6.5 to measure the UVI output to make sure it is at a safe distance. While underexposure is bad and leads to MBD overexposure is equally as dangerous. It is like you going out to the beach day after day being already burned. We don't know a lot about it but lets just say the UVI levels that these bulbs produce at close exposure is higher then what we even see on earth with the sun. Even the bulbs that are recommended if used at an incorrect distance can cause the same issues. But with these we know the distances for use.
Jesusssssssss I looked those up why does everything have to be so expensive ?? if he were to get “over exposure” would it effect his skin like burn wise or just internally? Should I take him in for another check up?

Jesusssssssss I looked those up why does everything have to be so expensive ?? if he were to get “over exposure” would it effect his skin like burn wise or just internally? Should I take him in for another check up?
LOL yes, the solarmeters are expensive. But you do not have to have one with the lighting I would suggest you to get. You will need to put money into other items... So tomorrow find out the dimensions for the cage. That set up will require you to have a bio active bottom or plants in clay pots and a wet vac to get excess water out.

I know it has a bio active bottom also I read the links you sent and the first one I looked at before I got a chameleon but the second one mentions “revitalize” and how it’s supplements for them ? I use the strawberry banana calcium powder is that not the same ? Do I need to get revitalize too? And it says gutload? But I buy my food for him fresh every other day am I suppose to raise the food and feed it or what because I just throw his bugs in a coffee mug and he eats em lol

I know it has a bio active bottom also I read the links you sent and the first one I looked at before I got a chameleon but the second one mentions “revitalize” and how it’s supplements for them ? I use the strawberry banana calcium powder is that not the same ? Do I need to get revitalize too? And it says gutload? But I buy my food for him fresh every other day am I suppose to raise the food and feed it or what because I just throw his bugs in a coffee mug and he eats em lol
Make sure your reading through the modules. It is quite an extensive husbandry program with many modules.

So the revitaliseD3 is one type of supplement. Maybe I should have you take pics of the supplements your using :)

So gutloading is feeding the bugs healthy items that they then pass the nutrition on to your cham. We will dig into that one a bit more later right now it is not the most important aspect.

Make sure your reading through the modules. It is quite an extensive husbandry program with many modules.

So the revitaliseD3 is one type of supplement. Maybe I should have you take pics of the supplements your using :)

So gutloading is feeding the bugs healthy items that they then pass the nutrition on to your cham. We will dig into that one a bit more later right now it is not the most important aspect.
I understand the concept of gut loading I’m just saying is that for people who use like the cricket keepers and what not because the pet store gut loads their bugs already they’re all kept in enclosures with fruits and veggies the worms are kept in buckets with stuff in them too so Does that count or am I supposed to gutload as well. And this is the calcium powder I use and that I recently started putting in his water since he wasn’t eating

Attachments

• 5367BB49-CD0F-4563-A97C-88E6284801B2.png
    5367BB49-CD0F-4563-A97C-88E6284801B2.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 70
I understand the concept of gut loading I’m just saying is that for people who use like the cricket keepers and what not because the pet store gut loads their bugs already they’re all kept in enclosures with fruits and veggies the worms are kept in buckets with stuff in them too so Does that count or am I supposed to gutload as well. And this is the calcium powder I use and that I recently started putting in his water since he wasn’t eating
Ok don't put it in the water. Is this the only one you use? Do you not have a multivitamin or a calcium without D3? You should not continue to use this one as it is calcium with D3. D3 is toxic if it is given too often.

You will want to use a calcium without D3 at all feeding except 2 times a month you would use a multivitamin with D3. This would be every other week.

So if you feed Monday, Wednesday and Saturday then you would do calcium without D3 and then every other week on Saturday you would give the multivitamin with D3.

You could use the arcadia supplements. These would be the Earthpro A = calcium without D3 and the RevitaliseD3 = mulitvitamin with D3.

You can buy them here https://morifeeders.com/

I just recently switched to this calcium powder? I use it at every feeding could this be what’s wrong with him? I didn’t know , when I ran out of the calcium powder that came with his setup I bought at first the pets mart people suggested that one so I got it :(

Also yes this is the only supplement I use that’s why I was asking should I be using more, I was never informed otherwise and when I read online all the different supplements I assumed it was either or I didn’t know he needed multiple

I just recently switched to this calcium powder? I use it at every feeding could this be what’s wrong with him? I didn’t know , when I ran out of the calcium powder that came with his setup I bought at first the pets mart people suggested that one so I got it :(
Also yes this is the only supplement I use that’s why I was asking should I be using more, I was never informed otherwise and when I read online all the different supplements I assumed it was either or I didn’t know he needed multiple
So yes this could be contributing to him not eating. How many times have you given him this one?

Back
Top Bottom