Help My Chameleon isn’t eating.

yikes.. calm down buddy
that isn’t my “opinion”, it’s a generally accepted temp for a veiled chameleon that’s even featured on the chameleonforums.com caresheet
I am calm thanks. You gave your opinion before adding the care sheet. And as members have stated thinks have changed (care sheets should be updated)

I am calm thanks. You gave your opinion before adding the care sheet. And as members have stated thinks have changed (care sheets should be updated)
one could argue that lower temps no higher than 85, like you and others mentioned, are also just an opinion

i looked at the thread made only july 2020 (4 months ago) claiming that lowering the temperature extends the longevity of their lifespan, but it wasn’t from a scientifically peer reviewed article, and again, there is no scientific evidence to back any of this up. if there is i would love to see it, as im always into improving husbandry

however, if you and others on this forum want to test this with your yemen go ahead, but it doesn’t seem wise to give this knowledge to new chameleon owners, and bash someone giving already widely accepted advice into saying it’s their “opinion”

the thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...habitat-of-the-mighty-yemen-chameleon.176813/

one could argue that lower temps no higher than 85, like you and others mentioned, are also just an opinion

i looked at the thread made only july 2020 (4 months ago) claiming that lowering the temperature extends the longevity of their lifespan, but it wasn’t from a scientifically peer reviewed article, and again, there is no scientific evidence to back any of this up. if there is i would love to see it, as im always into improving husbandry

however, if you and others on this forum want to test this with your yemen go ahead, but it doesn’t seem wise to give this knowledge to new chameleon owners, and bash someone giving already widely accepted advice into saying it’s their “opinion”

the thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...habitat-of-the-mighty-yemen-chameleon.176813/
I agree that it is not your opinion, but what you have researched. I also know there IS science to back up the new thought. If you're curious you can start your own thread. Tag Petr in it, or other people who DO study chameleons and discuss it with them. But this person on this thread is not asking about temps, and we are derailing it, and taking away from any help OP might be needing.

Always that person-surprise, you're not unique- that comes in demanding peer reviewed articles in passive aggressive tones(I just want to learn, I love science!)... Only to find out, we don't even know sh* about humans, what makes you think there is going to be piles of research for chameleons lol. Someone so smart should understand the reality of that.

I do agree, maybe some things on the caresheets could be adjusted. For example, 95 temps for veileds seems high, however I still think as long as the ambient is lower, it's probably not that big a deal for an adult.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Now let's get back to the purpose of the thread...

Always that person-surprise, you're not unique- that comes in demanding peer reviewed articles in passive aggressive tones(I just want to learn, I love science!)... Only to find out, we don't even know sh* about humans, what makes you think there is going to be piles of research for chameleons lol. Someone so smart should understand the reality of that.

I do agree, maybe some things on the caresheets could be adjusted. For example, 95 temps for veileds seems high, however I still think as long as the ambient is lower, it's probably not that big a deal for an adult.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Now let's get back to the purpose of the thread...
notice when you can’t back up what you’re saying, you just attack me lol

anyways believe what you guys want im done with this convo

Hi from what I've read and my own experience they can go through phrases and hunger strikes lol I just keep plenty of variety in my feeders. I keep locust not sure if you have /use them in the us. Crickets dubia bsfl silkworms. Treats only waxworms pachnoda

Hi from what I've read and my own experience they can go through phrases and hunger strikes lol I just keep plenty of variety in my feeders. I keep locust not sure if you have /use them in the us. Crickets dubia bsfl silkworms. Treats only waxworms pachnoda
we cant get locusts in the US :(:(:(

I think I read something about that cant remember what (my girl will go for them 90%over anything else I suppose nice bright colours. Why can't you get them . We can't get hornworms as they are classified as pets by the department of environment

I think I read something about that cant remember what (my girl will go for them 90%over anything else I suppose nice bright colours. Why can't you get them . We can't get hornworms as they are classified as pets by the department of environment
OMG hornworms are pets there. too funny. :hilarious:

I feed him crickets and super worms, meal worms, wax moths, sometimes even butterflies. He eats great. And his temperature has remained the same the entire year I’ve had him it stays about 82-86 degrees in his enclosure at all times. He sheds fine. But as soon as the temperatures dropped outside he stopped eating, his temperature has remained constant inside his enclosure the whole time though :(
When you return to the thread could you post a picture of your entire enclosure lights down please. And can you please fill out the help form. Depending on a few variables it can be totally normal for them to curb down in eating.

I know didn't look in to why lol only asked about them because of hydration (especially after my girl lays) I must goggle hornworms as pets lmao it would be easier than my 2 dogs??

Anyway Beman has beat me too it could you plz fill out a husbandry form and if possible some

Attachments

• 20201116_152630.jpg
    20201116_152630.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201115_203638.jpg
    20201115_203638.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 36
They will slow down on the eating when the winter comes but I think it's light/angle of the sun as much as cooler climate that plays a part.
They shouldn't cut out eating altogether though IMHO. Is he pooping? Are his urates white or almost white?

My enclosure isn’t the greatest he’s getting a bigger one Christmas and he’s in the stress corner because I opened his cage for picture purposes, but otherwise it’s a fifty gallon crescent moon glass aquarium with mesh screen top and slits in the front and sides for ventilation. My boy wasn’t a fan of the mister recommended by pets mart so I built an irrigation system to make it rain consistently in there and he loves it. The waterfall on the left is made with the water filtration system I just hooked up the hose and arranged some wood pieces. The waterfall is unnecessary i know but he LOVES his waterfall every time I attempt to get rid of it for spacial purposes he’s grey and in his corner (stress corner) forever until I return it to the aquarium. It’s always 82-85 until bed time it’s around 65-70. His bulb is a three in one bulb. He also has a small heater I often plug in next to the aquarium to regulate heat and humidity during cold days. He also goes outside in his outside open branch area, when it’s warm. Poop wise his poop is normal. No smell no color, normal urine sack also. He’s still very active in his cage he climbs from all of his sticks goes behind his waterfall (which is why you see the cord for the filter holding the big stick by the waterfall) he drinks his water regularly. I’m not sure what other questions I’m missing. Oh! No live plants. He’s a veiled adult male and is about a year and a half now I’ve had him since he was about two inches including tail. I also read online it’s normal sometimes to not eat during winter but I need to know for sure I’ve been putting calcium in his water to make sure he atleast gets that during his starve session

Attachments

• 2B88ADD0-03E4-4CA6-A8A1-F389A81F0C03.jpeg
    2B88ADD0-03E4-4CA6-A8A1-F389A81F0C03.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 49
They will slow down on the eating when the winter comes but I think it's light/angle of the sun as much as cooler climate that plays a part.
They shouldn't cut out eating altogether though IMHO. Is he pooping? Are his urates white or almost white?
Yes his poops still look exactly the same as if he’s still eating and his urine sacks or whatever are very white still that’s why I’m so confused nothing is out of the ordinary just him ☹️

Back
Top Bottom