Help My Chameleon isn’t eating.

Bayleenicole

My chameleon is a very healthy boy, almost two healthy. Even when he sheds the longest he will go without eating is two days. Now it has been 6 days and he refuses to eat. He is still very active and green. I looked in his mouth and he still has a tongue and his mouth looks normal. He has all of his toenails and he has no burns. His feet look fine. He is still pooping, not sure what he’s pooping but it looks normal also. It’s beginning to become colder where I am at, I read online some veiled chameleons don’t eat for a while during winter? And if that’s the case what do I do for him in the meantime and how long does this last. I’m not sure if he’s drinking honestly its rare I ever see him drink. Very concerned please help
F22FEEBC-0A92-4CD7-8090-321ACDC3C7CE.jpeg

What kind of bugs are you feeding him? Also what is the temperature like in the tank?
I feed him crickets and super worms, meal worms, wax moths, sometimes even butterflies. He eats great. And his temperature has remained the same the entire year I’ve had him it stays about 82-86 degrees in his enclosure at all times. He sheds fine. But as soon as the temperatures dropped outside he stopped eating, his temperature has remained constant inside his enclosure the whole time though :(

How old is your veiled? For a male adult the basking temps should be around 90-95. Do you mind filling out this help sheet? It’ll make it easier to spot what could be causing the lack of appetite :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Yeah 90 95 is too hot. Air on the side of caution 85 should be fine. Think about it if you stood in front of a roaring fire your external layer would b warm but not have time as you would have to move to heat your core !

That’s what the care guide on this forum says tho?

“Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)”

I’ve only owned a panther, so sorry if I’m wrong! I’ve taken care of veileds at the reptile rescue I volunteer at and the temps were never lower than 90

I’ve only owned a panther, so sorry if I’m wrong! I’ve taken care of veileds at the reptile rescue I volunteer at and the temps were never lower than 90
Newer line of thinking is lower temps at basking. 85 would be very max for a male. This would be for Panthers and Veileds. Most keep their males somewhere between 80-85 and then females between 78-80max at basking.
Higher basking temps contribute to shorter lifespan.

As we learn more about their native habitats and such, the care parameters are changing.

Could you link me to the study where you guys got this from? I'm genuinely curious because this is the first time I've heard of this

I feel bad for making this thread more off-topic too but is there a thread on here where you guys discuss this further? I'm interested in knowing if anyone's noticed any differences in their veiled's from having the lowered temps (as you can tell i'm a science nerd haha)

Also, if that is the case, the site should update or at least mention this in the care guides on here as it's a source for a lot of new chameleon owners. It's where I got a lot of my information for my panther in the beginning

Imo I would be a little more careful when giving info and always state that it is only your opinion and if you don't know but want to help tag another member

Imo I would be a little more careful when giving info and always state that it is only your opinion and if you don't know but want to help tag another member
lol what? because i shared a temp that’s common knowledge for veiled chameleons?

My chameleon is a very healthy boy, almost two healthy. Even when he sheds the longest he will go without eating is two days. Now it has been 6 days and he refuses to eat. He is still very active and green. I looked in his mouth and he still has a tongue and his mouth looks normal. He has all of his toenails and he has no burns. His feet look fine. He is still pooping, not sure what he’s pooping but it looks normal also. It’s beginning to become colder where I am at, I read online some veiled chameleons don’t eat for a while during winter? And if that’s the case what do I do for him in the meantime and how long does this last. I’m not sure if he’s drinking honestly its rare I ever see him drink. Very concerned please help View attachment 282534
Don't worry not long after I got my girl she stopped eating for a bit I was so worried but they will not naturally starve themselves

Back
Top Bottom