Help, my chameleon is gaining too much weight

Jaymetheturtle

Hello I am a owner of a 8 month panther chameleon, recently he has been gaining a ton of weight and I'm not sure why. I want to know if this is healthy or not and what I can do to help him lose weight. He eats about 7 crickets every other day, is well hydrated, and does move around in his cage often. Help?

Have you weighed him? Why do you think he's overweight? They generally slow down on their food intake around 7-8 months or so. 7 crickets every other day isn't that much IMO.

Have you weighed him? Why do you think he's overweight? They generally slow down on their food intake around 7-8 months or so. 7 crickets every other day isn't that much IMO.
I agree with this. 7-8 months is right around when they become an adult. Did you use a gram scale or are you just eyeballing it?

Typically overweight chameleons show their "chubbiness" around/behind their casques (are they still called "casques" in panthers??) where their fat pockets are. The chin area strikes me as an odd place for fat to accumulate. Please share a pic with us to show us what you are seeing

@Jaymetheturtle Okay, looking back at your previous posts, I think we have some concerns that need addressing - if this is the same panther chameleon you posted pictures of before.

If it is, your chameleon is female. Which members tried to tell you. Looking back at your previous posts, you have asked questions but it doesn't look like you have responded to any of us forum members except for in this thread. In fact, you made a thread in which you specifically asked about its sex and the consensus said "female," yet you have continued to refer to her as "he". Are you not reading people's responses to your posts? Or are you ignoring our comments? Someone also asked you to fill out the "how to ask for help" form and you never did (this was a month ago). It is fan-diddly-tastic that you found the forums and are posting questions and concerns, but please please please remember that you need to followup with your questions and respond to our suggestions if you really want to give your chameleon the best chance at a good, long life.

If your chameleon is really looking like she's gaining weight, it is very much a possibility that she needs to lay eggs. If this is the case, you need to prepare a lay bin immediately

Female panther chameleons gain weight and girth quickly when they are producing eggs. Females that are producing eggs need a proper place to lay them in their cage. Failure to provide a proper place will likely lead to eggbinding and death.

Since you haven't replied to any thread that you started...except for a second comment in this one. I don't expect you will reply to this one again either. I hope you are paying attention and are using the information we've been giving you to help your chameleon have a proper environment and healthy life.
It would be nice to know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom