Help! My 4 month old Panther ate a Butterfly.

B3finga

Had my dude out taking photos in the sun today and he snagged a butterfly in mid air. It was pretty incredible to watch followed by immediate dread. I tried to pull it out of his mouth, but he wasn't having it. I managed to at least break the wings off, but he swallowed the body. It was a Gulf Fritillary butterfly of which the caterpillars are poisonous. Any help would be super appreciated.
Web-8512.jpg
Web-8514.jpg

Attachments

• Web-8512.jpg
    Web-8512.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Web-8514.jpg
    Web-8514.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 456
?Woah that's an incredible shot!!! Definitely calendar worthy! ? hahah

I'm glad you could at least stop him from eating the wings...idk why and i could be ENTIRELY wrong but i feel like that's what would be the worst part for him to eat. I really hope he will be okay! Keep us updated

Hornworms feed on the deadly Nightshades and the fritillary feeds on passion flowers. I don't get it.

Sorry, not following. What don't you get? My understanding is that hornworms we buy from vendors who breed them for reptile food don't feed them tomatoes, so they're safe for our chameleons to eat. I wouldn't feed my chameleon the green hornworms I find in my garden for that reason.

Hornworms feed on the deadly Nightshades and the fritillary feeds on passion flowers. I don't get it.

Passionflower is technically toxic, at least some varieties are. The unripened fruit, as well as the leaves, contain compounds that are essentially cyanide (I forget the proper term). Lots of fruiting plants are like this. How toxic, I don't know. Some keepers use it in their cages... but there's studies about humans getting sick from unripened fruit.

Had my dude out taking photos in the sun today and he snagged a butterfly in mid air. It was pretty incredible to watch followed by immediate dread. I tried to pull it out of his mouth, but he wasn't having it. I managed to at least break the wings off, but he swallowed the body. It was a Gulf Fritillary butterfly of which the caterpillars are poisonous. Any help would be super appreciated.
Web-8512.jpg
Web-8514.jpg
Wow that picture is amazing! Hope he is okay.

He seems to be doing ok. He had some darker colors this morning, but lightened up throughout the day. I gave him lots of water, superworms, and dubias to help flush him out. So far, so good. Thanks for the concern, suggestions, and photo love. Wish I had more time to take a few more before I panicked. :)

Back
Top Bottom