Help Me Please I Dont Know Whats Wrong With Him

Aurora1990

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? My Chameleon is an Ambiliobe Panther Chameleon, He is a Male and is estimated to be just over a year old and he has been my baby since April 2011 he came from a pet store. He was more of a rescue because I came in I saw he had a bad eye so I rescued him and took him home.
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Around 2 to 3 times a week for only a few mins.
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Hes main staple is crikets that are gut lodded when Flukers cricket diet, orange cubes and calcium fortified cricket water. I normally feed him around 10 to 15 crickets every other day with around 5 supper worms. I also get him silk worms and butter worms ever month or two.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I use rep-cal calcium and herptivite I use to have him on a alternating schedule but he started falling and having muscle spasms so my vet told me to just mix the two and give it to him every day so that is what I do

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a mist king system set up he is misted for 8 mins first at 8 am one hour after the lights come on and then at 11 am, 2 pm, 5 pm for 5 mins then a 30 second misting at 6 pm one hour before lights out. I also have a drip system installed that is set to a pretty slow drip so that it drips to around 3 or 4. I do see him drink pretty regularly from his drip system he likes to go to the top and drink straight from it.

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

His most resent droppings was on Monday there was a decent amount of brown color it seemed a little watery what I mean is like a lightly brown clear liquid around the feces. His urate was very white with no orange. He tested positive for parasites when I first got him but we treated it and havnt tested him since.

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

During the summer time he has an outside cage that he is place in frequently to bask.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

His cage is a full screen cage 24x24x48

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

He has a reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb in a hood, Then 2 zoomed 40 watt blue day light bulbs in a hood and he also has a 75 watt basking bulb on the other end of the cage. My lighting schedule is 7 am to 7 pm.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
The top tempature is usually around 81 to 85 and under the basking light it is around 90 to 92 degrees. At the bottom of the cage it usually gets around 72 to 76. At night time he has no additional heat so the over all cage temp is around 72 to 76. I measure my temps with a temp gun I got from LLL reptile.

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
My humidity is ususally around 56 to 67% I create theses levels with the mist system and a humidifer that sits next to his cage. I measure this with a flukers hydrometer. and I usually turn my celling fan on low so there is good air flow.

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
He has one small real pant it is a wipping fig ficus tree from Chameleons only.com.

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

My cage is in my bedroom which is very low traffic and is a good distance from any vents there is a celling fan in the room. The top of the cage is probably 5'8 from the floor when in its stand.

• Location - Where are you geographically located?
Georgia, USA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

My problem is that I noticed my cham puffing his chin out, opening his mouth and getting mad for no reason then soon after he does this he has a bowl movement and then calms down. Then today I was about to go to class I noticed this pink thing pushed out of his vent he kind of sucked it back in then pushed it back out he didnt have a bowl movement but usually when he sticks that out and pulls it back in he has a bowl movement its like him pushing it out... Other then when he is trying to have a bowl movement it is not out of the vent at all. Any advice would be great I dont want to have to stress him with a vet visit if I dont have to please help... Pictures attached...

Pictures are helpful

Attachments

• Aurora 2.jpg
    Aurora 2.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Aurora.jpg
    Aurora.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 156
did he pull them back in?
or are they stil stuckout?
if he pulled them back in, then he simply flashed the family jewels.
if its still stuck out, then its a prolapse and it requires a vet visit to fix.
if it is still stuck out, rub ky jelly on it, to keep it moist until you get to the vet.

honestly i didnt read anyhting you posted; however, thats some sort of prolapse. i've never delt with one before but someone will chip in who has. if its a female than its more serious, it its a male it could just be him showing his junk. put KY jelly on it and if it doesnt go away the cham needs to go to the vet for possibler surgery. i will now go through i read and if i can i'll help you further. :)

did he pull them back in?
or are they stil stuckout?
if he pulled them back in, then he simply flashed the family jewels.
if its still stuck out, then its a prolapse and it requires a vet visit to fix.
if it is still stuck out, rub ky jelly on it, to keep it moist until you get to the vet.

you beat me :p

you beat me :p

there some stuff we need to correct on the husbandry, like the supplements, but thats minor right now if it is a prolapse.
and only by a minute. lol. we were reading at the same time!
if the panther is male, i wonder why the cham looks pink.....
i think it could be a female. and if it is, it needs a vet asap.

Regarding your husbandry, which has nothing to do with the prolapse.

Can you post a picture of your cham from the side, focusin on the tail base? i think from teh coloring, you have a female.

gutloading needs to be fixed. you need to feed fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds. that store bought stuff is not nearly as good.
For supplementing- you need a calcium without d3 for every feeding, a calcium with d3 for twice a month, and a multivitamin for twice a month. the schedule you are using now is not sufficiant and could be causing harm.
you dont need the blue bulbs, get regular house bulbs for basking.

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? My Chameleon is an Ambiliobe Panther Chameleon, He is a Male and is estimated to be just over a year old and he has been my baby since April 2011 he came from a pet store. He was more of a rescue because I came in I saw he had a bad eye so I rescued him and took him home.
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Around 2 to 3 times a week for only a few mins.
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Hes main staple is crikets that are gut lodded when Flukers cricket diet, orange cubes and calcium fortified cricket water. I normally feed him around 10 to 15 crickets every other day with around 5 supper worms. I also get him silk worms and butter worms ever month or two.ok thats too many superworms, more insects would be good for a varied diet. we have sponcers you can order claci hornworms ect from. your crikets need to be gutloaded not just given water cubes. its would be gr8 if someone posted a blog for that :)

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I use rep-cal calcium and herptivite I use to have him on a alternating schedule but he started falling and having muscle spasms so my vet told me to just mix the two and give it to him every day so that is what I do no. you need repcal with d3, without d3 and multies. you give Without d3 daily and the other two wtice monthly. you can order repcal without d3 form a sponcer here. i know our stores aroundhere probally dont sell it.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a mist king system set up he is misted for 8 mins first at 8 am one hour after the lights come on and then at 11 am, 2 pm, 5 pm for 5 mins then a 30 second misting at 6 pm one hour before lights out. I also have a drip system installed that is set to a pretty slow drip so that it drips to around 3 or 4. I do see him drink pretty regularly from his drip system he likes to go to the top and drink straight from it.good :)

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

His most resent droppings was on Monday there was a decent amount of brown color it seemed a little watery what I mean is like a lightly brown clear liquid around the feces. His urate was very white with no orange. He tested positive for parasites when I first got him but we treated it and havnt tested him since.might want to test again if the wired poop happens again

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

During the summer time he has an outside cage that he is place in frequently to bask.good!

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

His cage is a full screen cage 24x24x48

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

He has a reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb in a hood, Then 2 zoomed 40 watt blue day light bulbs in a hood and he also has a 75 watt basking bulb on the other end of the cage. My lighting schedule is 7 am to 7 pm.drop the blue bulb. use an atomatic timer if you dont already have one(5$ at lowes)

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
The top tempature is usually around 81 to 85 and under the basking light it is around 90 to 92 degrees. At the bottom of the cage it usually gets around 72 to 76. At night time he has no additional heat so the over all cage temp is around 72 to 76. I measure my temps with a temp gun I got from LLL reptile.i dont know what a panthers humidity or temp should be. someone else will tell you if its wrong tho.

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
My humidity is ususally around 56 to 67% I create theses levels with the mist system and a humidifer that sits next to his cage. I measure this with a flukers hydrometer. and I usually turn my celling fan on low so there is good air flow.

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
He has one small real pant it is a wipping fig ficus tree from Chameleons only.com.you can buy all types of live plants for cheap at lowes. live plant are recoomeded. pothos are viney, cheap, and hard to kill.

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

My cage is in my bedroom which is very low traffic and is a good distance from any vents there is a celling fan in the room. The top of the cage is probably 5'8 from the floor when in its stand.

• Location - Where are you geographically located?
Georgia, USAyou probally dont live far from me, cool :D

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

My problem is that I noticed my cham puffing his chin out, opening his mouth and getting mad for no reason then soon after he does this he has a bowl movement and then calms down. Then today I was about to go to class I noticed this pink thing pushed out of his vent he kind of sucked it back in then pushed it back out he didnt have a bowl movement but usually when he sticks that out and pulls it back in he has a bowl movement its like him pushing it out... Other then when he is trying to have a bowl movement it is not out of the vent at all. Any advice would be great I dont want to have to stress him with a vet visit if I dont have to please help... Pictures attached...

Pictures are helpful

hope this is helpful, my input is in blue

He pulled it back in like right now he is just chilling on a branch lol... it only happens when he is pushing really hard to get a bowl movement going. I think his is a boy because thats what the vet said and he is brightly colored and has a tale bump. I attached a full picture of my cham
And about the supplements what would you suggest Im really confused on that whole thing and I definitely dont want to over dose him

Attachments

• IMG_4700.jpg
    IMG_4700.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 121
Ok that is a boy.
which means, he flashed you his family jewels. esp since he pulled them in,
thats a good thing.

now, for supplements, personally i use repashy all in one calcium plus.
it has everything in it that a cham needs and is used on every feeding.
if you dont want to buy that,
then youneed the three supplements.
a calcium without d3,
a calium with d3
and a multivitamin.

i dont know what brands you hav eaccess to, but normally the calcium without d3 is only available online.

Its definately a male.

Has he pulled it back in or is it still out?

from the angle, i coulodnt see the bulge well, and the pink color didnt help.
now i see it is a male, from teh new pic the op posted. and the op said he pulled it back in.

You said..."Other then when he is trying to have a bowl movement it is not out of the vent at all"....if it always goes back in there should be no problem. If it stays out for a long time without keeping it lubricated it will dry out and become necrotic and die and fall off...and the chameleon may pick up an infection during this time.

You said..."he started falling and having muscle spasms so my vet told me to just mix the two and give it to him every day so that is what I do"....spasms and falling can be signs of MBD. Mixing the vitamins and calcium is not recommended...it prevents some of them from being absorbed properly. Also...if it is MBD your chameleon will need extra calcium to correct it along with a good source of UVB...and a balance of phos., calcium, D3 and vitamin A are important too. The quickest way to correct MBD if that's what it is, is to have the vet give it shots of calcium until the blood calcium levels are high enough to give it a shot of calcitonin to draw the calcium quickly back into the bones. See below for information about supplementing, etc.

Here's some information I hope will help you with supplementing, etc.....
Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. Some of the compacts, spirals and tube lights have caused health issues, but so far there have been no bad reports against this one.

A wide variety of insects that have been well fed and gutloaded should be fed to it.

Since many of the feeder insects we use in captivity have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it. (I use Rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium).

If you also dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it. (I use Rep-cal phos.-free calcium/D3).

Dusting twice a month as well with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while. (I use herptivite which has beta carotene.)

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs. I gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. with an assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.
Please note that various supplements have various amounts of D3 and vitamin A and so some can be given more often than others. The idea still is not to overdo the fat soluble vitamins like D3 and prEformed vitamin A.

Here are some good sites for you to read too...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200406080...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ww.adcham.com/
If you can't access the sites above that have the word "archive" in you can do it through the WayBackMachine

Last edited:
Definitely a boy! The first pictures didn't do his coloration justice. If he pulled it back in then I'd say hes probably just fine. Have the muscle spasms and everything stopped since your vet visit and the supplement change?

Ok that is a boy.
which means, he flashed you his family jewels. esp since he pulled them in,
thats a good thing.

now, for supplements, personally i use repashy all in one calcium plus.
it has everything in it that a cham needs and is used on every feeding.
if you dont want to buy that,
then youneed the three supplements.
a calcium without d3,
a calium with d3
and a multivitamin.

i dont know what brands you hav eaccess to, but normally the calcium without d3 is only available online.

Thanks I was thinking about getting some of that repashy but I wasn't sure it was really as good as the sellers where making it out to be. I think I will get some of that and make my life easier

Definitely a boy! The first pictures didn't do his coloration justice. If he pulled it back in then I'd say hes probably just fine. Have the muscle spasms and everything stopped since your vet visit and the supplement change?

Yeah they have and he is not falling either... the vet said it was a electrolyte imbalance I told her I was going to give him the mixture of Rep-Cal with D3 and Rep-Cal Herptivite every other day which is with every feeding... he is better now but I dont know if I should continue giving him so much I dont want to over dose him but I dont want him to start falling again

Thanks I was thinking about getting some of that repashy but I wasn't sure it was really as good as the sellers where making it out to be. I think I will get some of that and make my life easier

i love it.
my male veiled had a slight tongue issue, he sometimes missed his bugs he aimed at.
after 2 months, no tongue issues, and his colors are brighter.
and no more messing with, waht day is this, what supplement to use.. what did i use last weekend?

now, its just one powder all the time.

i love it.
my male veiled had a slight tongue issue, he sometimes missed his bugs he aimed at.
after 2 months, no tongue issues, and his colors are brighter.
and no more messing with, waht day is this, what supplement to use.. what did i use last weekend?

now, its just one powder all the time.

Sounds awesome my cham sometimes misses his bugs too maybe this stuff can help
Thank you all so much for responding so quickly! I really appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom