Help Me identify my baby panther chameleon

Reptile_nation

I’ve had my baby panther chameleon for almost a month now and purchased a male but am not sure if that’s what I got pls let me know 😁

Attachments

• F48CBF69-B4F4-4192-BBC0-5627E1B4C7F9.jpeg
    F48CBF69-B4F4-4192-BBC0-5627E1B4C7F9.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 110
  • C038FFEB-0F07-4C05-92F8-0A3093FF8616.jpeg
    C038FFEB-0F07-4C05-92F8-0A3093FF8616.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 7870A101-3FE9-4E1A-BEF8-244FAACC5343.jpeg
    7870A101-3FE9-4E1A-BEF8-244FAACC5343.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 99
I’m terrible at sexing panthers and I can’t even guess here. Your little one does look a bit thin to me though. How much and how often are you feeding?

I’m terrible at sexing panthers and I can’t even guess here. Your little one does look a bit thin to me though. How much and how often are you feeding?
I’m offering around 8-12 bugs assorting from Dubia roaches,crickets, and black soilder fly larva but he only will eat maybe 4-5 bugs a day should I be concerned ?

I’m offering around 8-12 bugs assorting from Dubia roaches,crickets, and black soilder fly larva but he only will eat maybe 4-5 bugs a day should I be concerned ?
He should be eating them all. Are they small enough for him? Anything larger than the space between his eyes is too big. Has he had a fecal done? If not, I would advise getting one.

Here are the questions for a husbandry review. Just copy/paste with your answers and someone will look it over and make suggestions as needed. :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

View attachment 320378Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that bulge means it’s a male right ?
It is a really tiny baby. The bulge would be farther down. Check out the link I gave you. It shows the difference really well.

I would do a husbandry review though. Specifically since baby is screen climbing the top. If your lights are not lifted a certain amount it can be getting over exposed to UVB.

It is a really tiny baby. The bulge would be farther down. Check out the link I gave you. It shows the difference really well.

I would do a husbandry review though. Specifically since baby is screen climbing the top. If your lights are not lifted a certain amount it can be getting over exposed to UVB.
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • I have a baby panther chameleon and gender is unknown and it has been in my care for around a month now
  • Around 3 times a week
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • I feed my Cham about 5-7 crickets a day along with 3-5 dubia roaches and 2-3 black soilder fly larva in the morning and gutload them with apples and bananas and carrots
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • I dust my feeders daily with vitamin d3 and the brand is zoomed repti calcium
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I mist for 3 minutes and this is 30 minutes before lights come on and then 3 minutes at night 30 minutes after lights go off. Along with a digger that goes off at 12pm and goes on and off every 30 minutes until around 6
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • I have never tested my chams fecal matter but have seen his waste and it is really white
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • As of now I’m using a medium zoomed full screen cage but I just ordered a extra large one
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • I’m using a 50w heat bulb with a dome cover and a t5 high output uvb bulb
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Main basking spot is around 80-85
  • And bottom of cage is around 75 degrees
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • My day time humidity levels are around 40-45 and I use a mister two times a day once in the morning and once at night
  • I’m using 2 fake vine plants but plan on changing them out for two pothos plants and have 1 live plant, I forgot the name but know it’s safe for chameleons
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • My cage is located in my room and there is a fan that is not directly on top but is near cage, the cage is elevated about 5 fr off the floor and there is a medium amount of traffic going in n out of my room
  • -Sacramento, California

My baby Cham is climbing on the ceiling a lot along the uvb bulb and am worried about uvb exsposure

I’ll put my feedback in bold.
  • I have a baby panther chameleon and gender is unknown and it has been in my care for around a month now
  • Around 3 times a week
  • I feed my Cham about 5-7 crickets a day along with 3-5 dubia roaches and 2-3 black soilder fly larva in the morning and gutload them with apples and bananas and carrots Variety is good, but your little one looks small enough that he/she should be eating that much twice a day. You could improve on your gutloading so your feeders are more nutritious. Graphic below.
  • I dust my feeders daily with vitamin d3 and the brand is zoomed repti calcium D3 should be used only for one feeding every other week. Daily you’ll want to use the calcium without D3. Then you need a multivitamin for one feeding every other week, alternating with the D3. I like Reptivite - make sure to get the one without D3.
  • I mist for 3 minutes and this is 30 minutes before lights come on and then 3 minutes at night 30 minutes after lights go off. Perfect! Along with a digger that goes off at 12pm and goes on and off every 30 minutes until around 6 This is a bit much. You want the enclosure to have time to dry out. Since you’re misting is perfect, I’d say use the dripper for only about 20-30 minutes once at mid day.
  • I have never tested my chams fecal matter but have seen his waste and it is really white I strongly suggest getting a fecal done. Most vets will want to see the animal (think it’s required by law) but that’s always a good thing.

Cage Info:
  • As of now I’m using a medium zoomed full screen cage but I just ordered a extra large one Perfect! The XL may seem too big, but it isn’t.
  • I’m using a 50w heat bulb with a dome cover and a t5 high output uvb bulb What is the strength of your uvb bulb? Either Arcadia 6% or ReptiSun 5.0 is the standard. You’ll want about 8-9” distance between basking area and lights.
  • Main basking spot is around 80-85 85 is a tad warm for a little one. 80 is perfect.
  • And bottom of cage is around 75 degrees
  • My day time humidity levels are around 40-45 and I use a mister two times a day once in the morning and once at night This is a little low. Ideal is between 50-70%. Adding live plants will help increase and maintain humidity. You could also wrap the back and 1-2 sides to help hold humidity in. You could use a shower curtain or the shrink to fit window insulation for a tidier look.
  • I’m using 2 fake vine plants but plan on changing them out for two pothos plants and have 1 live plant, I forgot the name but know it’s safe for chameleons AlthPugh panthers don’t eat their plants like veileds do, it’s still ideal to have all live plants. I use my fake ones on the outside of my enclosures for added privacy.
  • My cage is located in my room and there is a fan that is not directly on top but is near cage, the cage is elevated about 5 fr off the floor and there is a medium amount of traffic going in n out of my room The higher up they are, the safer they feel. Since there is a medium amount of traffic, make sure to provide plenty of leafy places to hide.
  • -Sacramento, California

My baby Cham is climbing on the ceiling a lot along the uvb bulb and am worried about uvb exsposure
Little ones do this, probably just because they can. It’s important to elevate your lights at least a few inches above the screen top to help prevent burns. There is a seller on Etsy who has ReptiRisers, or you can come up with your own way. I use wire baskets from the dollar store, which while not terribly attractive, gets the job done.
The best source for learning everything about chameleons is https://chameleonacademy.com/ The podcasts are a wealth of information! Of course the forum is always awesome to get help, ask questions and just share in the joys of chameleons.
I hope I’ve been of some help. :)
9728381A-6616-49CD-9C65-8025C395CB47.jpeg
80596BD0-B38B-426F-99A8-5B904DC091D4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom