help... marley isn’t doing great

i went to go buy crickets & came home to find marley laying down in a pretty concerning manner, i know this doesn’t look good. what do you recommend??
@JacksJill

Attachments

• FDD7E4A4-26D4-4655-9791-CE217D363256.jpeg
    FDD7E4A4-26D4-4655-9791-CE217D363256.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 170
  • 4C46B732-078D-4F02-874B-DF51A8BBC3EC.jpeg
    4C46B732-078D-4F02-874B-DF51A8BBC3EC.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 6C2A92B2-E80B-4DCD-A2F2-5C2D2BE7327D.jpeg
    6C2A92B2-E80B-4DCD-A2F2-5C2D2BE7327D.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 157
  • DED81C71-588A-4213-87E3-D84F7BECEB5F.jpeg
    DED81C71-588A-4213-87E3-D84F7BECEB5F.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 1F342E87-26B7-4A4F-BA30-E6508FCB2C09.jpeg
    1F342E87-26B7-4A4F-BA30-E6508FCB2C09.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
@JacksJill ?

Please fill out the following form while keepers more experienced with montanes chime in. Also, vet appointment ASAP.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

@JacksJill ?

Please fill out the following form while keepers more experienced with montanes chime in. Also, vet appointment ASAP.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
[/
my chameleon - marley, they said she was 2 but vet thinks a little bit younger, somewhere around 1 & 1/2
• handling - recently, had to switch enclosures & go to vet all other times only when needed
• feeding - crickets, roaches, gut loaded orange cube cricket diet. i feed her as much as she’ll eat right now because she needs to put on some weight.
• supplements - most days dusted w/o D3, with d3 2 times a month & multivitamin 2 times a month opposite weeks w D3
• watering - monsoon solo mister, during the day 20 seconds every 2 hours, night time everything’s shut off - as recommended from a jackson’s breader - as well as little dripper dripping on leafs 24/7
• fecal - haven’t seen any in a couple days, need to get tested
• history - was at petco for 8 months, just got her a week ago. she came very skinny and sick, since then we’ve made a lot of progress, i think it was over supplementation of the D3 and what just comes with being improperly cared for for 8 months

• cage - medium size reptibreeze
• lighting - t5 linear uvb, 75 watt basking. no light at night. 13 hour schedule, lights come on at 7am, go off at 8pm
• temp - bottom of the tank corner coldest gets about 63, basking can get up to 90 (trying to work with basking atm) overall cage is around 73 - 80
• not measuring humidity (as advised by jackson’s breader, a daily schedule should be good at 20 seconds every 2 hours off at night)
• plants - golden schefflera (arbicola) and gold pothos. both plants were re potted in coconut substrate as well as rocks are covering exposed substrate
• placement - on my desk about 3 feet away from the window, top of the tank sits just under 5 feet from the floor
• located in denver, colorado

my chameleon - marley, they said she was 2 but vet thinks a little bit younger, somewhere around 1 & 1/2 looks like Marley is a female Jackson chameleon.
• handling - recently, had to switch enclosures & go to vet all other times only when needed
• feeding - crickets, roaches, gut loaded orange cube cricket diet. i feed her as much as she’ll eat right now because she needs to put on some weight. I would gut load with something more packed in nutrients like organic veggies or cricket crack/repashy bug burger
• supplements - most days dusted w/o D3, with d3 2 times a month & multivitamin 2 times a month opposite weeks w D3 use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month
• watering - monsoon solo mister, during the day 20 seconds every 2 hours, night time everything’s shut off - as recommended from a jackson’s breader - as well as little dripper dripping on leafs 24/7 you should be misting at least a minimum of twice a day for a period of 3 to 5 mins each time IMO the time varies between keepers,
• fecal - haven’t seen any in a couple days, need to get tested
• history - was at petco for 8 months, just got her a week ago. she came very skinny and sick, since then we’ve made a lot of progress, i think it was over supplementation of the D3 and what just comes with being improperly cared for for 8 months

• cage - medium size reptibreeze
• lighting - t5 linear uvb, 75 watt basking. no light at night. 13 hour schedule, lights come on at 7am, go off at 8pm 10.0 or 5.0 uvb?
• temp - bottom of the tank corner coldest gets about 63, basking can get up to 90 (trying to work with basking atm) overall cage is around 73 - 80 their basking at most should be around 85, ambient should be around 80-70.
• not measuring humidity (as advised by jackson’s breader, a daily schedule should be good at 20 seconds every 2 hours off at night) you need to start measuring because a jacksons needs upwards of 60% humidity
• plants - golden schefflera (arbicola) and gold pothos. both plants were re potted in coconut substrate as well as rocks are covering exposed substrate
• placement - on my desk about 3 feet away from the window, top of the tank sits just under 5 feet from the floor
• located in denver, colorado[/QUOTE]

please see my annotation in red

I am of no help and stay away from assisting with Jackson's. @JacksJill is our expert for this.

I will say their humidity levels and temperature levels are extremely important... I suggest you get a hydrometer to measure your humidity levels. The gutloading you are providing is not adequate either. Orange cubes are not a gutload. They have specific dosing schedule with supplements too.

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Uugghhh poor cham!! Another 100% avoidable suffering victim... with a little bit of research and planning foresight before purchase!

Definitely go to the vet but honestly it just looks like exhaustion. when my chameleon had exhaustion it looked like that. I took him to the vet and exhaustion was all it was.
Also how are you giving it protein/vitamin A

Definitely go to the vet but honestly it just looks like exhaustion. when my chameleon had exhaustion it looked like that. I took him to the vet and exhaustion was all it was.

You dont know what you are doing. This is not 'exhaustion' this chameleon is very sick. Eye closing and laying down is not normal. I have private messaged you asking nicely for you to stop giving out incorrect info. In fact, I was going through your husbandry and almost 90 percent of it is completely wrong. It took about 3 pages of messages just to get you to fill out the damn help forum, and another to convince you to fill out all of the questions because you insisted some were 'Not relevant" You are lucky people on here are patient with you. Let the people with Jacksons experience help with this. I am not one of those people, so I am staying out of it, just as you should.

Have a nice day.

He/she doesn’t actually look very sick he just looks exhausted. Do you have any lights on at night?
Pleaseeeeeeeee I know you are very young hun. I know you are wanting to be involved. But your are giving incorrect information yet again and further confusing the situation. This cham needs a vet due to illness. This cham does not need a nap to bounce back.

Every single of the last at least dozen of your comments is filled with misinformation, baseless conjecture, and obvious signs that you have not properly researched chameleon husbandry. From your posts it looks like you are not even ready to own a chameleon, let alone advise anyone about their own. Please stop commenting before some unsuspecting new member follows your "advice" and ends up hurting their chameleon. We realize you are young, but this is an opportunity for you to sit back and listen and learn.

Back
Top Bottom