help!!! Ive never seen this before

ryrd07

I can't tell if this is stuck shed or a sperm plug or something else. My Cham is still eating like normal but it looks like he is starting to get bloated(maybe not and im just stressing myself out) He hasn't pooped is 6 daysish normally its every 1-2. What I took a picture of appeared maybe 9 days ago and it was white. I used a qtip and coconut oil to try and loosen it if it was stuck shed, but now it is pink. Please let me know what I can do.
tempImagexl0rtQ.jpg
tempImageLQd1IJ.jpg

So yeah looks like the start of a prolapse. You want plain ky jelly (no additive only the plain version) kept on it so the tissue does not dry out and become necrotic. And you want to get him in to be seen by a reptile vet asap.
Thank you for responding, you don't know how much I appreciate it! I have his humidity up to 75% and his mister goes off every 2 hours so there is plenty of moisture now. The nearest reptile vet is 6+ hours away and I don't have that option. Are there any at home solutions that you know of besides the KY? I have been using coconut oil to keep the tissue warm but I need to be able to fix this at home. Thank you again for taking the time out of your day.

Thank you so much for sending me this! Unfortunately the nearest reptile vet is more than 6 hours away, do you know of any at-home solutions? Thanks a bunch!
I don't unfortunately. I think a husbandry review would be helpful and @kinyonga might know some at home remedies you could try?

I’ve heard sugar water before for minor prolapses…but I’m far from an expert. I’ve no idea the ratio of sugar to water. Let me see if I can find the thread where I read that.

Sugar water might help. Just make sure it’s not too hot to soak the prolapse in…you don’t want to burn the chameleon. Their natural temperature is much cooler than ours so the water will need to be cooler than what we would use by quite a bit.

Thank you for responding, you don't know how much I appreciate it! I have his humidity up to 75% and his mister goes off every 2 hours so there is plenty of moisture now. The nearest reptile vet is 6+ hours away and I don't have that option. Are there any at home solutions that you know of besides the KY? I have been using coconut oil to keep the tissue warm but I need to be able to fix this at home. Thank you again for taking the time out of your day.
So I would go to the store and buy plain KY jelly. This is safe for the cham if it goes inside the body. I would not use any form of oil that you have around the house. The KY keeps it moist. You are not concerned about it being warm. The worry is it drying out and dying off. If it becomes necrotic this can lead to the chameleon dying. I have seen people use KY JELLY (NOTHING ELSE) and getting the area very very moist with it and then using a qtip covered in KY and very very gently pushing the prolapse back in. You will not shove the qtip in though you are just using it to guide the tissue back in. This is something I would never do as you can cause harm if you do it wrong, but it sounds like a vet is not an option for you because of the 6 hour drive. Keep in mind depending on the type of prolapse it can happen again if not treated correctly and if it was caused by a husbandry issue that is not corrected.

Also you do not want to go the other direction and over due your moisture. Veileds should not have daytime humidity over 45%. At the levels you are saying you now have it at with the heat of the cage you have created the risk for the chameleon to develop a respiratory infection. This is why you do not want to mist every 2 hours. You want a long misting in the morning and in the evening and then during the day you want to add a dripper so that it is providing water. You can do this with a solo cup and a few tiny holes poked in the bottom set this on top of the screen cage over plants. Let it drip down on the plants.

Back
Top Bottom