Help,is he okay??

Daniel266jz

Avid Member
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, 1yr-6mnths, in my café since 3 months(Petco)
  • Handling - Never he doesn’t like to be handled or come out
  • Feeding - He eats crickets,supers,discoid roaches, hornworm and silkworms as treats twice a month.About 15 large crickets, 8 large discoids, 12 large supers, others as treats fed by twos only(NOT ALL AT ONCE THIS LIST ONLY REPRESENTS NUMBERS FOR EACH TYPE OF FEEDER WHEN IM SWITCHING BETWEEN THEM ALL)Fed everyday he’s a beast when it comes to eating. I gut load with carrots,kale, bee pollen, fruits and mustard greens.
  • Supplements - Repti-Calcium with no D3 everyday lightly dusted. Reptivite Calcuim with D3 first two saturdays of the month. Herptivite Multivitamin last two saturdays of the month.
  • Watering - Wife stays home so he’s constantly misted for 3 minute sections and a dripper. I have seen him drink many times.
  • Fecal Description - Normal with white urates, tested for parasites and everything was fine when I got him.(from Petco)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze all screen and lathes they come XL
  • Lighting - Reptisun 10.0 UVB with 75watt grow light for basking.
  • Temperature - Bottom of cage flux from 72-78 and middle strong 79-82, basking highest is 88. Temp gun to measure.
  • Humidity - Humidity 40 to low 60 percent and hydrometer to measure
  • Plants - Only live plants, umbrella and golden pothos
  • Placement - Near window with sunlight that shines through, not near vents at all

Current Problem: Just this morning my wife says he will not eat and is perched on branch at very bottom of cage. He fell asleep 5 hours before bedtime and won’t move. We continued his usual mistings but to no avail. He won’t even move when offered a hornworm which are his favorite. He usually attacks to kill when approached but will barely let out a hiss when approached now. I have a picture attached. No signs of anything before all of this happened.

Attachments

• 88D50C9C-37DF-471B-89D6-CF271D4F6E0C.jpeg
    88D50C9C-37DF-471B-89D6-CF271D4F6E0C.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 86
shouldn't be falling asleep during the day so i wouldn't consider that a good sign, moving lower also isn't usually good unless its just to poke around here and there, I would repost this in health forums and look into taking him to a vet

You husbandry looks good. I would say this is something for the vet unless he perks up quickly. I would make the appointment now and cancel it if he improves.
Double check your temperatures to be sure nothing changed by chance.

You husbandry looks good. I would say this is something for the vet unless he perks up quickly. I would make the appointment now and cancel it if he improves.
Double check your temperatures to be sure nothing changed by chance.
Alright I have an appointment Friday, that’s what I thought at first also but the temps are fine just a tad bit flux some higher and some lower but not that significantly. It’s so sad and heartbreaking because he was my very first chameleon who sparked my hobby up

I will say, same thing happened with my first. got him from petsmart and was sick from the get go. i dont think big box stores know/care enough to take care of chams. i hope you caught it early, and he pulls through. but I'd suggest a breeder if things go wrong or (hopefully) just want a second one later.

I will say, same thing happened with my first. got him from petsmart and was sick from the get go. i dont think big box stores know/care enough to take care of chams. i hope you caught it early, and he pulls through. but I'd suggest a breeder if things go wrong or (hopefully) just want a second one later.
Thanks and yes hopefully he can give me a few more days to get him all checked up and yea I know about the breeders and all that I’ve been a member for a year and some he’s from Petco as he was my very first, we all start somewhere bad or good. Thanks for helping

He seems to have perked back up today and is eating and drinking again. Anyone know what this might have been?

Back
Top Bottom