Help identifying this tortoise

Alexander1

Avid Member
IMG_3576.PNG

I guess my turtle tables were humid enough that it never came into play...and them food I gave them was nutritious too...cause I never had any apparent pyramiding....and I had quite a few tortoises I raised from very young.

Genetics my be a factor with pyramiding to. I watched a video on you tube the other day that had a guy on there who raises and breeds Aldabras and he had a few that were all the same age kept in same conditions and feed the same stuff. Some of the tortoise had smooth shells and some had a little bit of pyramiding. Those tortoise also ranged in size from a around 400 pounds to the biggest one at around 550.

For a long time people thought Pyramiding was caused but poor diets but that is a very old school care. We now know 100% that it is caused from the tortoise being kept in too dry of conditions. Humidity has to be kept at a high level for the first few years so the tortoise can grow nice and smooth.

Take this sulcata as an example. Most people call these a desert tortoise and keep them very dry but in fact they are a grassland tortoise from the forest edge. Grass and forest mean lots of rain. In the wild these sulcata are hatched during the monsoon season and for years spend 99% of there day down in a nice humid burrow.

I may not know much about Chameleons yet but torts are my thing ;)

I kept a redfoot for 10 years. He's with a friend now and gets more pampering than I gave him and I took pretty good care of him! I love to see him when I visit my friend.

Back
Top Bottom