Help Identifying female cham promblems

D.B

We purchased (rescued) her from PetSmart she was 9 months. They were feeding her wax worms and cricket. We continued feeding her the same way only adding a treat of horned worms and in the summer gave her katydids and a few grass hoppers here and there. We She had her first clutch of eggs about 40 with no issues at first but she was so thirsty and we kept too much moisture in her cage. So we took her to the vet. She got medication and she was back to normal. Recently she began acting different as if she was going to molt or have another clutch of eggs. She was very unstable with her footing we kept finding her face first in the little watherfall or dirt. Luckily we got there right in time she was just laying there face first in the water. My husband was able to bring her back as gently as possible. Since then she laid about 20+ eggs started eating. Untill a few days ago. She turned a color I've never seen super dark with orange ish big circles she won't move her right side very well keeps falling and keeps her mouth open and her belly is hard and super big But when we hold her she turns back to a light green closes her eyes and seems to relax. I'm not sure if she has eggs still possibly injured her right side and she hasn't pooped. So I'm worried she is blocked up also. I don't even know where to start. We put her in a smaller cage so she can't fall but a little dirt just in case she still has eggs?? If anybody can tell me what to look for so I can try to identify what wrong so we can help her. We are going to take her to a vet if need be but it's nice to have an idea so we make sure she gets the proper care. Because she requires special vets and there is a lack of herp docs in our area. I can send pics if it helps ..

Please and Thank

Welcome to the forum. While you should be taking her to a vet asap, it sounds like you need a review of your husbandry as well.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

We purchased (rescued) her from PetSmart she was 9 months. They were feeding her wax worms and cricket. We continued feeding her the same way only adding a treat of horned worms and in the summer gave her katydids and a few grass hoppers here and there. We She had her first clutch of eggs about 40 with no issues at first but she was so thirsty and we kept too much moisture in her cage. So we took her to the vet. She got medication and she was back to normal. Recently she began acting different as if she was going to molt or have another clutch of eggs. She was very unstable with her footing we kept finding her face first in the little watherfall or dirt. Luckily we got there right in time she was just laying there face first in the water. My husband was able to bring her back as gently as possible. Since then she laid about 20+ eggs started eating. Untill a few days ago. She turned a color I've never seen super dark with orange ish big circles she won't move her right side very well keeps falling and keeps her mouth open and her belly is hard and super big But when we hold her she turns back to a light green closes her eyes and seems to relax. I'm not sure if she has eggs still possibly injured her right side and she hasn't pooped. So I'm worried she is blocked up also. I don't even know where to start. We put her in a smaller cage so she can't fall but a little dirt just in case she still has eggs?? If anybody can tell me what to look for so I can try to identify what wrong so we can help her. We are going to take her to a vet if need be but it's nice to have an idea so we make sure she gets the proper care. Because she requires special vets and there is a lack of herp docs in our area. I can send pics if it helps ..

Please and Thank
Definitely add pics. All angles help.

Lack of motor skills points to MBD. I got my first cham from Petco, complete with MBD. You also said she laid 40 eggs the first time and only 20 this time. (assuming veiled cham as you said she turned green) 20 is a pretty low count, which could mean egg bonding which is an EMERGENCY.

Fill out the form linked above and get her to the vet asap. You didn't mention any supplements which makes MBD even more likely. But, you also mentioned a waterfall, making bacterial infection also a possibility. The best way to get all the questions that we [the community] will have is filling out the form.

Best of luck

Please and Thank

Definitely add pics. All angles help.

Lack of motor skills points to MBD. I got my first cham from Petco, complete with MBD. You also said she laid 40 eggs the first time and only 20 this time. (assuming veiled cham as you said she turned green) 20 is a pretty low count, which could mean egg bonding which is an EMERGENCY.

Fill out the form linked above and get her to the vet asap. You didn't mention any supplements which makes MBD even more likely. But, you also mentioned a waterfall, making bacterial infection also a possibility. The best way to get all the questions that we [the community] will have is filling out the form.

Best of luck

Please and Thank

Attachments

• 15778289675544190894046382985143.jpg
    15778289675544190894046382985143.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 92
Post pictures of her whole setup, and try and get a non blurry photo of her if possible.

She does this when we come around. She seems so thirsty so when we spray her she will close her mouth tilt her head back and close her eyes as if she can get the water down. The tank she is in is a glass tank with coconut substrate with a moss waterfall this is her egg laying tank. Usually she is in screen cage with vines bamboo sticks and the misting machine and her basking heathing all on a 12 hour on 12 hour off timer.

Could you post some pics of the laying cage, and her cage?

edit: She really needs a vet obviously, but sometimes its good to see the possible cause

You really need a vet now there is nothing we can do right now. You can fix husbandry after
Remember this is her cage for when she lays eggs. She isn't in her long my concern is if she has and obstruction because it seems when I spray a little water she closes her mouth and she seem like her bottom right side is injured? I'm taking her in I just wanted all the knowledge I can get from people who truly care being they are so delicate. And we don't have the best helps around here. So I will have a better idea what to look for if they tell me something way off or reffer me out.

Remember this is her cage for when she lays eggs. She isn't in her long my concern is if she has and obstruction because it seems when I spray a little water she closes her mouth and she seem like her bottom right side is injured? I'm taking her in I just wanted all the knowledge I can get from people who truly care being they are so delicate. And we don't have the best helps around here. So I will have a better idea what to look for if they tell me something way off or reffer me out.
Your current enclosure has her at high risk for upper respiratory infection. Most likely she probably has metabolic bone disease. She sounds like she is currently unable to pass all of her eggs and is eggbound. She really needs a vet to help all of these now...chams go down super quick. We will help you fix hisbandry issues after.

Back
Top Bottom