Help Identify Skin Condition

Hello!

I adopted a beautiful male baby veiled chameleon about two months ago. His name is Winston.

Recently, I woke up to find a few small raised light green skin bumps under his chin and down the side of his neck. The next day there was this white raised piece near the raised green one on his chin.

My vet cannot identify the skin problem. Can anyone refer me to a good vet and / or identify the skin condition?

A brief health history:

The pet store that I purchased him from did not take proper care of him.

When I adopted Winston, he was malnourished, had weak bones, and parasites.

I have since taken him to the vet to treat all of these ailments.

He is doing much better! Still not eating on his own and not growing as fast as we would like but his bones are stronger and he seemed to be on the road to recovery.

Thank you all so much for listening!

#stressedchameleonmamma

Attachments

• 20190709_105952.jpg
    20190709_105952.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG-20190708-WA0017.jpeg
    IMG-20190708-WA0017.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 100
Fill out this help form I posted below. Be specific with your answers.

Looks like it could be anything from a viral infection, bacterial or even fungal infection. Needs a vet visit to properly diagnose.

Your chameleon also looks really thin and dehydrated... The sleeping on your hand photo is also concerning... We need to know exactly what your husbandry is to help further and help you provide the best care for your cham.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon. 2 months. Male.
  • Handling - Twice a day. Once for feeding and playtime *which is me putting him on his little jungle tree. The same in the evening. Sometimes he falls asleep on my lap late at night when I am watching tv.
  • Feeding - Right now, I am syringe feeding him because he is not eating on his own. Originally, he was eating 4 - 6 mealworms and 4 - 6 crickets. He does not like greens. I powder calcium on his crickets but have yet to start the gut feeding process.
  • Medication - He is on Emeraid IC Carnivore. Intensive Care Nutrition. He was on Calcium Glubionate for two weeks. He is on Strongid T Dewormer for the parasites for two weeks.

• Supplements - Flukers repaboost.
  • Watering - I mist him twice a day. He has a drip system right now. He is very thirsty recently.
  • Fecal Description - Yes he has been tested positive for parasites. He is being treated.
  • History - He was sick when I adopted him.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I am building a cage for him. It's six feet tall and two and a half feet wide. Very spacious. Screened. Only natural plants. He has been in a four feet x two feet cage for the two months I have had him.
  • Lighting - 12 hours heat and UVB light. I use the zilla pro sol fixture.
  • Temperature - Lowest overnight is 75. Daytime is 73 ish.
  • Humidity - I use a thermometer. Right now I believe it is at 70%.
  • Plants - Pothos. Bromeliad. Umbrella.
  • Placement -It is near a high traffic area. However, I live alone. He has two and a half feet from the ceiling. He is next to the sunroom but does not have direct light.
  • Location - Atlanta

Just filled out the form. Yes, he has been falling asleep earlier than I would like. Around 6 p.m. He also sometimes closes his eyes when I put him on my finger.

Looks like it could be anything from a viral infection, bacterial or even fungal infection. Needs a vet visit to properly diagnose.

Your chameleon also looks really thin and dehydrated... The sleeping on your hand photo is also concerning... We need to know exactly what your husbandry is to help further and help you provide the best care for your cham.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Pleas

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Woops! It's cooler at night. I have his lights on during the day.
How much cooler? They can tolerate drops in temp as low as 60F and actually prefer it. I'm in the car now but if you give me a bit I can go through your form a bit more in depth if it hasnt already been done.

That would be wonderful. It's usually 74 at night. Around 76 during the day *in the house. When his heat lamp is on, it gets up to 78. Because its not in a more enclosed space, it doesn't get as hot.

How much cooler? They can tolerate drops in temp as low as 60F and actually prefer it. I'm in the car now but if you give me a bit I can go through your form a bit more in depth if it hasnt already been done.
That woul

Ok so the biggest concerns I see on your help form are your feeding and your lighting. Humidity may also be a little high for a veiled, @Brodybreaux25 can answer that for us.

I know you're om a different diet right now for syringe feeding, but when you're back to normal feeding you need to completely cut out the meal worms. They are no good. If you want to do worms you can do silk worms instead.

For your lighting you're going to need a T5HO linear UVB light. The ones that go in the dome are no good. They don't put out enough UVB for a cham. If you get a single bulb fixture you'll need a 5.0/6% bulb, if you have a nultibulb fixture you'll need a 10.0/12% bulb. The basking branch should be 7-8 inches below the light.

There should not be 2 degree difference between day and night. What are your basking temps?

Humidity is a bit high.

Handling way too much. Chams are a hobby, not a pet. Especially for a 2mo, but I doubt it’s actually a 2mo. Please provide pics.

Why are you syringe feeding?

Gut load is critical to young chams, must start right away.

Greens are for adults only, youngsters need bugs only.

Exactly what supplements are you using and how often?

Who told you to use Reptiboost?

Wow.

There should not be 2 degree difference between day and night. What are your basking temps?

Humidity is a bit high.

Handling way too much. Chams are a hobby, not a pet. Especially for a 2mo, but I doubt it’s actually a 2mo. Please provide pics.

Why are you syringe feeding?

Gut load is critical to young chams, must start right away.

Greens are for adults only, youngsters need bugs only.

Exactly what supplements are you using and how often?

Who told you to use Reptiboost?
He lost
I’ll answer your questions when you answer mine.
Wow

Back
Top Bottom