Help ID this lizard

Dez and Delilah

Hi Guys,

My boyfriends father found this lizard in a warehouse that may have come in on a shipment from Texas (most likely) or Tokyo.

It looks like some sort of Anole to me but I'm really not sure as it's severely dehydrated and pretty brown right now. He's got an injured tail and one of his feet seems to have gotten squished in his travels.

If any of you can shed some light on what it might be it'll be a huge help. As of right now, I've got him in a box with some substrate, a bit of water on a plastic spoon and some fruit. He's not moving much but he's definitely still alive. It's pretty cold in Toronto today so I'm hoping he warms up a bit.

Here he is.

2vxg0lk.jpg

Definitely not a cuban night anole, its a very dehydrated male green anole (Anolis carolinensis).

Chris

That's what I was thinking initially. I do have a screen cage that's about 2 ft high. Should I try to move him into that or keep him in the box for now? From my understanding they're aboreal?

ya like $3.00 at any pet shop..they normally keep them in 10g tanks by the thousands ( not very cool for them) but are normally feeders, like house geckos.. very clear and large pic btw..

not sure if he's gunna live but temps are about the same as panther chams from 70-80 day slight drop at night(i had some breed on there own..i never tried, just had lil ones one day)..spray water two times aday..88 degree basking spot..its just a standard lizard..not difficult to care for if he lives

ya like $3.00 at any pet shop..they normally keep them in 10g tanks by the thousands ( not very cool for them) but are normally feeders, like house geckos.. very clear and large pic btw..

Well I definitely won't be feeding it to any of my chams.. just want to try to save the little guy.

I didn't realize how big the picture was until it uploaded haha sorry for any confusion.

That is a very unhealthy Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis) who needs some serious TLC.

A decent care guide;
http://www.thereptilefile.com/wiki/index.php?title=Green_Anole

Thank you! I really knew nothing about these little guys before tonight but it helps that they're somewhat similar to the care of a chameleon.

He seems to be doing a bit better. I put a water dish in with him that he's been drinking from and a fake vine that he's currently stretched out on. He's been moving around a lot more than he was a few hours ago.

These guys tend to be very hardy. I have bred them and kept them for years. I would mist as well as provide standing water. They like warmer temps as others have said but you should have a cool end and a warm end of the enclosure so he can thermoregulate as necessary. Small crickets, fruit flies phoenix worms are all good feeders. Let him rest. If the foot is obviously deformed, a vet visit is in order. Otherwise, he may do very well for you. PM or email me with any questions. Good luck

These guys tend to be very hardy. I have bred them and kept them for years. I would mist as well as provide standing water. They like warmer temps as others have said but you should have a cool end and a warm end of the enclosure so he can thermoregulate as necessary. Small crickets, fruit flies phoenix worms are all good feeders. Let him rest. If the foot is obviously deformed, a vet visit is in order. Otherwise, he may do very well for you. PM or email me with any questions. Good luck

He seems to be doing fairly well today. He's been climbing around all over the screen cage I have him in. I tried to offer him some food yesterday but he wasn't interested so I'll try again today when I get home from work.

Unfortunately I'm not able to provide a permanent home for him as we already have a few chameleons, a frog and 26 eggs incubating that are due to hatch in as soon as a few months. Hopefully I can find a suitable place for this little guy to go if he pulls through.

I do have some panacur on hand so we've been thinking about giving him some. Would you suggest this?

I figured I should post an update.

The little guy is doing well and enjoying his new home. He's eating/drinking and looks so much better. Thanks to all of you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom