Help I think my chameleon is sick??!!

Mrod262001

It’s a panther chameleon I’ve just gotten he is a juvenile but about 2 days ago I had to take him out of his cage to clean and now that he’s back he’s been different he has Eatin but I haven’t seen him drink yet and he’s staying in the shade but I noticed he has been getting white/grey starting from the tail with black/brown dots should I be worried??

It’s a panther chameleon I’ve just gotten he is a juvenile but about 2 days ago I had to take him out of his cage to clean and now that he’s back he’s been different he has Eatin but I haven’t seen him drink yet and he’s staying in the shade but I noticed he has been getting white/grey starting from the tail with black/brown dots should I be worried??
image.jpg

Just from the pics I can see a few issues. The main one being how bare the cage is. Not only does he need more branches at all levels but he has very little cover in the way of foliage. He has no choice to be exposed and this may be stressing him.

I think that's a red light on the left and those domes can only take compact UVB, both of which could be a problem.

Again, please post answers to help questionare @Blmelton mentioned earlier.

It's better to get any problems ironed out now rather than when a health issue shows up later that maybe could have been avoided.

For your main concern, you just got him a few days ago. He is in a new environment and is nervous. Its a normal reaction these chameleons have so give him space for a few weeks. Chameleons are not pets that can be handled daily.

To help make him more comfortable add lots of live plants for him to hide in and climb through. Here is a list of chameleon safe plants you could add. https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

Next, for long term health you will need to upgrade your lighting and provide proper supplementation. Get rid of the red bulb and coil (CFL) uvb bulbs. For basking, use an incandescent house bulb. You would probably be able to use a 65-75 watt house bulb to get the proper basking temps. Adjust the bulb distance from the branch to fine tune the basking temp on the branch.

For UVB, you will need to get either a T8 fixture or a T5HO fixture and appropriate 5.0 UVB bulb or an arcadia 6% UVB bulb. Reason for this is that the coil UVB bulbs focus the UVB light into a small area so it is useless unless the chameleon is right under the bulb. The T8 and T5 fixtures use linear bulbs which cover a wider area of the enclosure.

All excellent advice! Chams are on the bottom of the food chain, having the option to hide is what keeps them alive in the wild.

When you walk up to your viv, you should not be able to instantly pick him out every time. Occasionally you should have to look around a bit to find him. Also in a viv empty space is wasted space, think of the branches as roads. They allow your Cham to access every part of his viv.

ECA35830-C510-40F4-8042-A686F09B5533.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom