Help! I just got my veiled Cham but he won’t eat!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
I have a male veiled chameleon that I think is about 2 months old. I got him from PetSmart on Tuesday, so I’ve had him about 4 days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
I have only handled him once so far to transfer him into his cage. I don’t want to stress him out so soon after a transfer.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I feed him crickets and super worms, along with leaving him a salad of collard greens, mustard greens, and apples daily. I try to feed him anything he’ll take 2x a day, but that’s what I’m concerned about. I gut load my feeders with apples, collards, mustard greens, and the orange food cubes.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I dust them with the zoo med calcium without d3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a reptirain system that mists for 30 seconds every 6 hours. I haven’t seen him drink specifically but I think he has been.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
His poop is solid with it mainly being a dark brown/black with a white trail. It seems like it’s healthy. Since I’ve gotten him he’s pooped 2x.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
When PetSmart got him they said he was sickly but they nursed him back to health so he’s slightly more adjusted to humans. Before getting him, I inspected him, and his bones and skin and everything were healthy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
My cage is a 24x24x48in screen cage. I have it loaded up with foliage and different areas for my little guy to crawl over.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I use zoo med with a UVB light and heat light. I have the UVB light on a 12 hour on/off cycle.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
I have a thermometer that I move around and check temps with, his cage at night is typically around 75 and during the day 82 with basking spots getting up to about 90
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
This is the one aspect I’m not 100% sure on, so there’s always room for improvement! Any constructive criticism is helpful :)
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
There are not live plants other than the salad I put in his cage every morning.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
I have him in the back left corner of my room. There is a ceiling fan that runs on the lowest setting to help me sleep. The cage is sitting on a table, so the height at the top of the cage is near 5’
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
I live in the Virginia Beach area

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I am currently concerned that he’s not eating enough. He’s super active and his eyes, limbs and skin all seem healthy to me, but this is my first Cham. I think I’m just worrying myself, but I’m a math major so I’m pretty good at stressing myself out... any constructive criticisms are more than welcome!! I love my little Christopher and want to give him the best life I can; money is no issue for the little guy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 191
  • EBC62E94-DB8A-4013-85BD-FA6C44C54940.jpeg
    EBC62E94-DB8A-4013-85BD-FA6C44C54940.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 199
  • A7F8C412-A7B2-42C7-A6FF-930BECF589C8.jpeg
    A7F8C412-A7B2-42C7-A6FF-930BECF589C8.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 187
  • E4F38221-79DF-4249-BFFA-72AD639E0162.jpeg
    E4F38221-79DF-4249-BFFA-72AD639E0162.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 192
  • AA962CDA-9E0F-4B9F-8685-40EF7268543A.jpeg
    AA962CDA-9E0F-4B9F-8685-40EF7268543A.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 1AFD19C3-CA60-4736-990D-BB446FF43714.jpeg
    1AFD19C3-CA60-4736-990D-BB446FF43714.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 200
  • C4FA30DF-F45F-4516-9AC0-F234EC34CDB5.jpeg
    C4FA30DF-F45F-4516-9AC0-F234EC34CDB5.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 177
From what I've seen around here it is fairly common that they will not eat while adapting to the environment change. I just had to put my first veiled down and learned a lot researching here. One of the most basic things I learned is these animals get stressed out VERY easily and one result is a temporary stop in eating.

Welcome to forum. Your cage setup looks like your on the right track. Handling should be kept to a very minimum to not at all for the first few weeks you will have time for that later. Feeding crickets is a staple food source but as for superworms I would put them at the end of my choice for feeders. Your going to need to get a vitamin and calicium with D3 supplement given 2 times a month. For watering you might want to increase to about 1 minute and make adjustments as needed. Your clear hoses are going to have algae build up from the light being right above it look into get black tubing. You need a T5 uvb light source. The coil bulbs are not sufficient. I would get at least 1 live plant in there try maybe get a umbrella plant to give you some more foliage in mid section of your cage. Do yourself a favor and take a look at this very helpful information provided by the members here https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/images/

Attachments

• 3A8D903E-1B6F-4296-8193-5A3A9B60785F.jpeg
    3A8D903E-1B6F-4296-8193-5A3A9B60785F.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 178
Hi there and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new baby. I am going to go through your help form and add comments in Red. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
I have a male veiled chameleon that I think is about 2 months old. I got him from PetSmart on Tuesday, so I’ve had him about 4 days
I have only handled him once so far to transfer him into his cage. I don’t want to stress him out so soon after a transfer.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I feed him crickets and super worms, along with leaving him a salad of collard greens, mustard greens, and apples daily. I try to feed him anything he’ll take 2x a day, but that’s what I’m concerned about. I gut load my feeders with apples, collards, mustard greens, and the orange food cubes.

Pull the apples from his veg that your feeding they are very hard to digest. Are you feeding small sized feeders? If they are too large he will not go for them. How many are you feeding? Only feed in the morning. They need the day to digest. There are multiple feeder cup options you can use. Gut load needs improvement as well. You want a diverse green base that rotates week over week. Seem images provided below.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
You will want to be dusting with calcium without D3 at every feeding, then 2 times a month calcium with D3, 2 times a month a multivitamin, and vitamin A 1 time a month. See image below.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a reptirain system that mists for 30 seconds every 6 hours. I haven’t seen him drink specifically but I think he has been.
Does this have the option to spray longer more frequently? If so what are your options. Do you have a little dripper as well for a constant drip?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I would take a stool sample in to a Reptile vet to ensure he does not have parasites. Is very common when they are from chain stores.
His poop is solid with it mainly being a dark brown/black with a white trail. It seems like it’s healthy. Since I’ve gotten him he’s pooped 2x.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
When PetSmart got him they said he was sickly but they nursed him back to health so he’s slightly more adjusted to humans. Before getting him, I inspected him, and his bones and skin and everything were healthy.
Sickly how? This is important. What did they say was diagnosed?

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
My cage is a 24x24x48in screen cage. I have it loaded up with foliage and different areas for my little guy to crawl over. Good cage size. You will want to add in live plants... Pothos, dwarf umbrella, ficus, are all good options.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I use zoo med with a UVB light and heat light. I have the UVB light on a 12 hour on/off cycle. Ok so UVB has to be upgraded. You need a 24 inch T5Ho fixture with a 10.0 or 12& arcadia bulb. I would do at least a dual fixture if you are going to have live plants. Basking would sit about 8 inches down from the top. See image.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
I have a thermometer that I move around and check temps with, his cage at night is typically around 75 and during the day 82 with basking spots getting up to about 90 Ok basking should be no hotter then 85 for this little guy. Get a laser heat gun. They are about 15 bucks on amazon. This will allow you to check everything.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
This is the one aspect I’m not 100% sure on, so there’s always room for improvement! Any constructive criticism is helpful :)
You will need a good hydrometer. This is the one I use and love. Just make sure it is not in the path of being sprayed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1R0K68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are not live plants other than the salad I put in his cage every morning. Need these see other comment pertaining to what types.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
I have him in the back left corner of my room. There is a ceiling fan that runs on the lowest setting to help me sleep. The cage is sitting on a table, so the height at the top of the cage is near 5’

I am currently concerned that he’s not eating enough. He’s super active and his eyes, limbs and skin all seem healthy to me, but this is my first Cham. I think I’m just worrying myself, but I’m a math major so I’m pretty good at stressing myself out... any constructive criticisms are more than welcome!! I love my little Christopher and want to give him the best life I can; money is no issue for the little guy.

Ok so what size are the feeders and how are you feeding? There could be several things going on here...
1. he is not used to his surroundings
2. he does not have enough areas to hide so he is not feeling safe
3. he is still not healthy from whatever the petstore treated him for. You need to find out what exactly it was.

You will want to look into a drip pan as well. You can use a hot water heater pan or get one that is designed to work with your cage from dragon strand.
Also I would recommend dragon ledges from dragon strand to be able to have plants throughout your cage top to bottom. www.dragonstrand.com

UVB lighting needs to be upgraded asap. The images can be printed off as well if you want them as a resource tool.
Here is another good link. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Attachments

• chameleon-food(1).jpg
    chameleon-food(1).jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 186
  • chameleon-uvb-light.jpg
    chameleon-uvb-light.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 194
  • chameleon-non-uvb-light.jpg
    chameleon-non-uvb-light.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 194
  • chameleon-supplements.jpg
    chameleon-supplements.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 167
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 183
Chameleon Info:

Petsmart aren't the safest places and the fact they have said he's had health issues is a bigger worry. Any details on what these were?

Good, leave him be and let him settle.

How big are the crickets you're offering? Supers are mostly too big for a little one and not good as a staple, but only as a treat. Are you hand feeding, cup feeding or loose feeding? The movement of the feeder is a cue for the little guy to see, aim and nab them, so if there's not much movement, he may not notice. Bin the orange cubes and try to give fresh as much as possible along with bug burger or cricket crack, which are great gutloads.

Calcium without D3 every feeding BUT you need a multivitamin twice a month and also calcium with D3 as well. D3 is needed but too much can also be bad. Vitamin A is also required.

30 secs isn't long enough. It needs to be around 3 mins to help stimulate drinking and very importantly eye health. Also most people don't mist at night. First misting before lights on. Others have great success using a cold mist humidifier but only overnight when temps have dropped enough. (Too much humidity plus heat can lead to respiratory infections).
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Sounds normal. Definately worthwhile getting a vet to a faecal to check for parasites.

I simply wouldn't believe a word of what they said. They are there to sell you stuff and not for animal welfare as they prove every day!

Cage Info:
My cage is a 24x24x48in screen cage. I have it loaded up with foliage and different areas for my little guy to crawl over.

More branches of different sizes and create plenty of pathways in between levels. Loads of foliage and real plants are always going to better in most cases.
I use zoo med with a UVB light and heat light. I have the UVB light on a 12 hour on/off cycle.

Scrap the UVB bulb they sold you with that, it's useless. You need to get a good T5HO tube unit such as the Arcadia's.

The heat bulb should ideally not sit directly on the screen. Young chams like to climb on the screen and if they climb up under it, will get burnt.

More re temps below.

I have a thermometer that I move around and check temps with, his cage at night is typically around 75 and during the day 82 with basking spots getting up to about 90

Ideally you would have at least 2 as a permanent fixture. 1 should be at the basking spot and the second measuring ambient temperatures. In my mind, digital are the best.

I also reccomend (a lot of folk don't use them but...) that you get a DIMMING thermostat to control the temperatures automatically. Place the probe at the basking spot, dial it to the temp you want and let the unit adjust as needed by dimming or brightening the heat bulb. This removes the possibility of overheating or burns when the cham is at the basking spot.

This is must know information. You could multi temp/humidity digital units as per advice re temps. It's hard, but keeping the humidity correct is vital to good health.
There are not live plants other than the salad I put in his cage every morning.

Live plants are going to look better, provide the little guy with better cover and climbing opportunity (when grown out) and help with humidity. Veiled like to chow down on them as well so make sure you get plants from the safe list. You can't go wrong with Pothos, which can be trained around the viv as it grows.

Obviously I can't see the room but chams are preyed on by birds and a set of wings flapping above him might cause him to stress. Just one to think about.

As mentioned above, size and movement along with how the feeder is ppresented can play a part. Try different feeders such as small dubias and find what he prefers. Avoid giving him a superworm habbit (from experience) and just use those as a treat.

It's not unusual for them not to eat for a while, plus he's just had a stressful move to a new environment. However, if it goes past a week then a vet visit may be on the cards. If for example he has parasites, only the faecal is going to show this and only a vet will be able to treat it.

Find yourself a good vet that has cham experience. Do that now. The last thing you want is to be trying to find a good vet when there is a problem. Know where to go to beforehand, just in case.

Hi there and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new baby. I am going to go through your help form and add comments in Red. :)

Chameleon Info:

Pull the apples from his veg that your feeding they are very hard to digest. Are you feeding small sized feeders? If they are too large he will not go for them. How many are you feeding? Only feed in the morning. They need the day to digest. There are multiple feeder cup options you can use. Gut load needs improvement as well. You want a diverse green base that rotates week over week. Seem images provided below.
You will want to be dusting with calcium without D3 at every feeding, then 2 times a month calcium with D3, 2 times a month a multivitamin, and vitamin A 1 time a month. See image below.
Does this have the option to spray longer more frequently? If so what are your options. Do you have a little dripper as well for a constant drip?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I would take a stool sample in to a Reptile vet to ensure he does not have parasites. Is very common when they are from chain stores.

Cage Info:
My cage is a 24x24x48in screen cage. I have it loaded up with foliage and different areas for my little guy to crawl over. Good cage size. You will want to add in live plants... Pothos, dwarf umbrella, ficus, are all good options.
I use zoo med with a UVB light and heat light. I have the UVB light on a 12 hour on/off cycle. Ok so UVB has to be upgraded. You need a 24 inch T5Ho fixture with a 10.0 or 12& arcadia bulb. I would do at least a dual fixture if you are going to have live plants. Basking would sit about 8 inches down from the top. See image.
I have a thermometer that I move around and check temps with, his cage at night is typically around 75 and during the day 82 with basking spots getting up to about 90 Ok basking should be no hotter then 85 for this little guy. Get a laser heat gun. They are about 15 bucks on amazon. This will allow you to check everything.
You will need a good hydrometer. This is the one I use and love. Just make sure it is not in the path of being sprayed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1R0K68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are not live plants other than the salad I put in his cage every morning. Need these see other comment pertaining to what types.

Ok so what size are the feeders and how are you feeding? There could be several things going on here...
3. he is still not healthy from whatever the petstore treated him for. You need to find out what exactly it was.

You will want to look into a drip pan as well. You can use a hot water heater pan or get one that is designed to work with your cage from dragon strand.
Also I would recommend dragon ledges from dragon strand to be able to have plants throughout your cage top to bottom. www.dragonstrand.com

UVB lighting needs to be upgraded asap. The images can be printed off as well if you want them as a resource tool.
Here is another good link. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
Just spent ages typing and @Beman beats me to it lol. Knew I should have waited longer lol.

LOL the last time I checked I could type 55 words per minute. Keyboard I am great. On my phone it takes me forever.
Thank you!! He was eating a little bit more this morning but I’m going to order your recommendations on amazon today to get it on Monday! From the description, does it sounds and look like he’s healthy and a good weight?

Thank you!! He was eating a little bit more this morning but I’m going to order your recommendations on amazon today to get it on Monday! From the description, does it sounds and look like he’s healthy and a good weight?
I don't see anything that jumps out at me from his pics.. It is hard to tell with these little ones. They tend to hide their health issues until they are on a rapid decline. As far as weight again hard to tell from a picture but he does not look underweight to me. Keep an eye on his back feet. Petstores are notorious for selling chams as one sex and it be another. You would be looking for tiny tarsal spurs on the hind feet only. They will look like these but much smaller. I say this because if he is in fact a she you will have to learn about egg laying because they are like chickens and lay eggs even when not mated.

tarsal Spur2.jpg Tarsal spur1.jpg

I don't see anything that jumps out at me from his pics.. It is hard to tell with these little ones. They tend to hide their health issues until they are on a rapid decline. As far as weight again hard to tell from a picture but he does not look underweight to me. Keep an eye on his back feet. Petstores are notorious for selling chams as one sex and it be another. You would be looking for tiny tarsal spurs on the hind feet only. They will look like these but much smaller. I say this because if he is in fact a she you will have to learn about egg laying because they are like chickens and lay eggs even when not mated.

View attachment 234400View attachment 234401

I just checked that, and I see the little fin on the back of his hind legs!

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

I just took your advice to account in this and ordered everything on amazon! It should arrive on Monday, so I will update his cage after work monday, and post an update picture! Thank you everyone for so much helpful information!

Back
Top Bottom