Help I dont know if she’s just sleeping or lethargic.

When you have time, can you answer the questions as thoroughly as you can, in this thread so we can check your husbandry. If the vet can get your chameleon through this and get him back to good health, there may be changes that will be needed to keep him healthy…
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
  • Your Chameleon I’ve had her since a baby. 3 years old. I’ve always thought she was a girl until I found out today she’s not. His name is Rosemary
  • Handling -i handle her very often. She is spoiled and does spend allot of time with me. Usually
  • Feeding - mealworms horn worms
  • Supplements - high calcium fibers I add to the worm diet and repti calcium
  • Watering - i hand water or deep method her 3/4x a day but I can honestly say I hadn’t the last 2 days my son was tending to her and said he did usually I water her everyday. I am upset to say I have been very occupied within the last few days
  • Fecal Description - never been tested. Regular poop but today she did have slightly yellow poop
  • History - 3 years. Usually once every year she has this weird funk but always bounces back ok.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - glass octagon
  • Lighting - 100w blue day light bulb uvb bulb 5.0 13 watt
  • Temperature - i do not measure temps
  • Humidity - missing water 2/3x
  • Plants - 1 live pathos plant
  • Placement - on desk/table downstairs not against a window. Or fan or vent.

I am not the most tech savvy parent I will admit but she has always been healthy in my care and active and communicative since I’ve had him.

Hydration and natural morning sunlight if possible, horn worms if he'll eat. look up bill strands veiled chameleon care via the chameleon academy. to be honest he doesn't look good he may be too far gone to treat on your own I would get him to a vet ASAP. im glad you got a uvb source he looks to have early onset of mbd. Can we see his enclosure?
I kept him in sunlight today as well. Thank you I will look into it

Also…there might be mouth rot starting…his lip is sticking out funny on the left side new the jaw joint.
How long have you had him?
3 years. I believe that is a piece of dirt in her mouth I just tried to lift her lip a little and I saw. I don’t think it’s Rot

My replies will be in bold…
  • Your Chameleon I’ve had her since a baby. 3 years old. I’ve always thought she was a girl until I found out today she’s not. His name is Rosemary Definitely a male…males in this species have tarsal spurs on their heels and different patterns than females do…as well as taller casques.
  • Handling -i handle her very often. She is spoiled and does spend allot of time with me. Usually Most only tolerate handling and I wouldn’t do it too often.
  • Feeding - mealworms horn worms Mealworms are ok once in a while and the same with hornworms. Crickets, roaches, bsfl, locusts, silkworms are better feeders….and all feeders should be looked after properly …and gutloaded and well fed and dusted lightly with the proper supplements before feeding them to your chameleon.
  • Supplements - high calcium fibers I add to the worm diet and repti calcium Is the calcium phosphorous free? Do you dust at all feedings? You also need a vitamin powder that contains a source of D3 and prEformed vitamin A to dust with twice a month, two weeks apart. This might be why your chameleon is showing some signs of MBD and having other issues.
  • Watering - i hand water or deep method her 3/4x a day but I can honestly say I hadn’t the last 2 days my son was tending to her and said he did usually I water her everyday. I am upset to say I have been very occupied within the last few days If the rates are white, then he should be ok.
  • Fecal Description - never been tested. Regular poop but today she did have slightly yellow poop
  • History - 3 years. Usually once every year she has this weird funk but always bounces back ok.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - glass octagon Screen lid? Vents anywhere else?
  • Lighting - 100w blue day light bulb uvb bulb 5.0 13 watt I use a regular incandescent household bulb for basking….and the most recommended UVB lights are the long linear Reptisun 5.0 and Arcadia 6%
  • Temperature - i do not measure temps The temperature in the cage should be in the 70’s during the day and the basking area between 80F and 85F. Lower temperatures are good at night…no lights on during the night as well.
  • Humidity - missing water 2/3x
  • Plants - 1 live pathos plant More plants would be helpful to give him cover and help with humidity. Also…I would remove the substrate. Some substrates can cause impaction if ingested.
  • Placement - on desk/table downstairs not against a window. Or fan or vent.
Gutload crickets, locusts, roaches with dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, squash, etc.

make sure plants are well washed…both sides of the leaves and the soil is washed out well to remove any contaminants. Cover the soil with stones that are definitely too big for him to ingest.

Good luck at the vets. Hope he makes it.

Back
Top Bottom