Help! How to keep banded crickets in tub! And discoid question.

greenflagreptiles

I order 2,000 1/2 and 5/8" crickets from ghanns a month, and about 1500 3/4" also. The larger 3/4" stay in their 60 quart bins with just a piece of mesh screen pulled over the top. However the smaller two sizes climb the walls like Geckos and even with the screening on the tub (I don't have lids..stupid dad threw them out, and I can't afford to buy all new tubs and lids, and no one will sell just the lids.) I lose 100 or more in just the first DAY! They are kept in the garage, but some always manage to get into the house, which passes off the folks. Is there anything I can put around the inside top of the tub to prevent escapes? (I'm hoping in a few months to get new tubs with lids).

Second q, I finally found some discoid roaches to start a colony. I was wondering do they need a lid, or can I just lay screening over the top? I DEFINITELY cannot have roaches get into the house! (I once got 10 banana roaches, and had no escapes..but mother saw the container that they came in and had a coniption fit! But my chams loved them!) Also, can I use a cleaner crew with dicoids? I only ever see them sold with dubias..which I can't have..florida sucks).

Thanks in advance! Jill

Try wiping mineral oil around the top of the inside of they're bins... I'm not going to guarantee it will work but it worked in my baby bin and in my dubia colony to keep the nymphs from climbing out

Thanks! I was gonna try non - stick cooking spray but that stuff gets tacky as it dries out. Is mineral oil safe for the chams if the crib get it on there feet/wings?

Thanks! I was gonna try non - stick cooking spray but that stuff gets tacky as it dries out. Is mineral oil safe for the chams if the crib get it on there feet/wings?

i've seen people use clear packaging tape all the way around the inside of the tub. also heard that the translucent tubs make better holding bins than any of the colored ones.

You are using the wrong bins. You need the slick translucent ones. I breed the bandeds and don't even use lids. They can't climb it.

I would go with the clear packaging tape. As for the discoids I would use the lid but cut a section out ant put the screen in so it makes it breathable and ensures no escapes for your mother's sake but also use the tape in that container. Where may I ask did you get your discoids? I live in FL as well and have not been able to find any!

I have read that people who keep roaches that can climb put Vaseline around the inside of the bins and make it a couple inches wide. Vaseline would probably work better than mineral oil. I have never had a problem with crix escaping regardless of bin but I did use the translucent ones as well. My dubias are in a green container and I have a lid on mostly to keep the dogs and cats out. My Rhodesian Ridgeback thinks the dry gutload food is quite tasty and will eat the entire dish!

I'm sorry... you can't afford Rubbermaid storage bins? They are like 5 dollars. I'm jealous that you live in Florida. Florida rocks! Much easier to keep humidity where it needs to be in a climate like that. If your dad threw them out, he needs to be respectful and responsible enough to replace the ones he trashed. That's just not cool

Celeste89, I get my discoid from "the cricket guy"....They have a website but it doesn't work. Email them at [email protected] and ask for a pricelist. They are very good and much cheaper than ghanns for crickets, plus shipping in florida for my order was $12 for 6,000 crickets and some gutload. Ghanns shipping was always well over 40$ for only 4,000 crickets! And they don't guarantee delivery on time or refund shipping for late shipments. Cricket guy also offers supers, meals, horns, silks, Phoenix worms and more.

As for the tubs I finally got a clear bin and the crickets are staying in it.

Back
Top Bottom