Help guessing age of male veiled chameleon?

Caznash

Hello, I mentioned in a different post about trying to figure out how old my little guy is and someone said to post pics for help. It took me a bit to get time to get it all together, but here are some pictures with dates taken and his weight at that time, or if different than the date of the picture, the date he was weighed. I also put a tape measure to my hand and noted it on the picture trying to get some kind of guide. Hth. Tomorrow I can try to get an accurate measurement for him if that would help. Any help is greatly appreciated!🙏🏼

Attachments

• 8A819D1C-C3AB-49DE-A4FA-FAEE9778EE2B.jpeg
    8A819D1C-C3AB-49DE-A4FA-FAEE9778EE2B.jpeg
    834 KB · Views: 76
  • AAECE567-C255-47FB-956B-A4F39C812B35.jpeg
    AAECE567-C255-47FB-956B-A4F39C812B35.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 323ADE4A-103B-4E0B-B3D1-8102EEC59344.jpeg
    323ADE4A-103B-4E0B-B3D1-8102EEC59344.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 6E85D370-CAE1-4F68-8F6D-7A18D9C69685.jpeg
    6E85D370-CAE1-4F68-8F6D-7A18D9C69685.jpeg
    842.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 93FE871C-68C8-4E56-A5E2-57545BDD17A4.jpeg
    93FE871C-68C8-4E56-A5E2-57545BDD17A4.jpeg
    799.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 45A6AF79-4CFA-4B78-8924-7E3F9AE78EEC.jpeg
    45A6AF79-4CFA-4B78-8924-7E3F9AE78EEC.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 81165401-4622-4110-A231-7136E40B07BC.jpeg
    81165401-4622-4110-A231-7136E40B07BC.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 3EF51C41-9374-45FB-9CE9-0A66BAA53F13.jpeg
    3EF51C41-9374-45FB-9CE9-0A66BAA53F13.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
My guess is 6-8 months. You may want to fill out a husbandry sheet for review. Sleeping while being handled/during the day could indicate a health issue.
That pic was when we first brought him home. He was a little overwhelmed. But it showed his size well so I used it for the purposes of guessing his age hoping it would give some additional info. When I got him the lady said she wasn’t sure how old he was, but guessed about 2 months. She said he’d been there 2 weeks and he shed as soon as they got him. He’s shed twice here. Maybe that adds more info? I’m happy to fill out a form if you can show me where it is. I’ve gone over every detail of husbandry and diet, from the moment I got him. I’m all over YouTube, the chameleon academy, other chameleon sites, of course this one too … basically I’ve scoured the internet and soaked up info like a sponge! Lol of course I have to read it over and over and over bc it’s info overload and I have a horrible memory, so I’ve read most of it 4-5 times at least!😅😰 I’m not saying I have managed to set things up perfectly, but i have done my best and believe they’re on point. The only thing I’m figuring out right now is about the plant grow light that it was suggested I get. So I bought it…. The instructions say do not use around animals bc it can be dangerous if they look in to it!! And everyone is putting these in our Cham cages? I’m just confused on why we’d do this??🤔 So I’ve been trying to figure that one out before I add it to his lights set up. I sure don’t want to hurt the little guys eyes or cause him to go blind bc he has this mega bright light shining in his cage! 🤷🏼‍♀️

Oh, and thanks for the guess on his age. I appreciate it. Maybe a few more will take a stab at it?

Thanks again!!

Love these guessing games, since there are so many factors that can attribute to sizes.

I agree with above at 6 to 8 months closer to the 6 if fed and growth was normal.
Note on normal:
I have had some 3 month old the size of pic 3/7 and currently have 1 at 10 months old the size of Jan 31st.
Meet "Tiny" (y)
Joking when I say this--- Your last picture shows a Chameleon about 5 feet long and GIANT (drinking a Pepsi) :LOL: (y)

Attachments

• PXL_20220317_195327573 (1).jpg
    PXL_20220317_195327573 (1).jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Here is the form if you would like a husbandry review to double check everything. Just copy and past it into your reply then fill it out. Add pics of the entire enclosure lights down as well.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Love these guessing games, since there are so many factors that can attribute to sizes.

I agree with above at 6 to 8 months closer to the 6 if fed and growth was normal.
Note on normal:
I have had some 3 month old the size of pic 3/7 and currently have 1 at 10 months old the size of Jan 31st.
Meet "Tiny" (y)
Joking when I say this--- Your last picture shows a Chameleon about 5 feet long and GIANT (drinking a Pepsi) :LOL: (y)
Lol, thanks for the extra info…I LOVE learning new things!☺️ The 5 ft Cham drinking a Pepsi make me lol for real!🤣🤣

So when you say “fed normal” then age is prob more towards 6 months, I think I know what you mean, but wanted to make sure… I read somewhere that they are very good at turning their calories into mass and can get big quickly when fed a lot as youngsters. It also said that isn’t always a good thing and it’s better to feed them a set number (healthy #) and stick with that so they’ll grow slowly and properly(?) Not sure “properly” is the correct word there, but hopefully you know what I mean. I just wondered if that’s what you were referring to? I’m a mom so maybe that played a part, but for me it just made sense to go slowly and let those bones and muscles have time to form and get strong on a nice and steady basis.😉 So that’s how he’s been fed. Thanks again for sharing! You have such a cute little guy!!☺️

Does anyone have any thoughts on the grow lights with the instruction pamphlet that says “do not use around animals”? I don’t know what to do. Does animals mean everything? Will it hurt their eyes? I mean they can see such a full spectrum, and that’s exactly what these lights are…but white to us. I don’t know. I love my plants, but I love him a lot more!! I just want to make sure it’s not going to hurt his eyes. Now or long term. Thanks in advance for your thoughts, ideas, and any articles you may have read yourselves in making such decisions (if you’ve considered grow lights in your pets enclosures)…it’s much appreciated!!🙏🏼💚☺️

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, male. Going by what I was told when purchased, 5 months. Going by info I’ve gotten here, possibly 6 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Daily
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I have a variety of feeders staple and a couple treats: Dubia, red runners, crickets, BSFL, silkworms, hornworms, waxworms. He eats about 20-25 small feeders a day - sometimes +/- 5 more or less. He also LOVES to ride on my shoulder to the kitchen and eat his greens and papaya on occasion. And he tries to grab the fridge every time.😂 He knows *exactly* where it is! (But that’s with all his feeders! He’s so smart!) GUTLOADING: I use fresh veggies and fruits. And just last night I made a mix using the guide on the gutloading flyer here. So we will see how that goes.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? (This is where I’m curious about my vitamin choice. I think it’s right…I hope.🙏🏼🤞🏼) “Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene advanced formula” given 1x each month. “Flukers Calcium with vitamin D3 & phosphorus free” 1x/month (those are done on the 1st & 15th - one ea). Then the rest of the time I dust with Flukers Calcium without D3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? He has a misting system. (One each in opposing corners.) It goes on for 2 minutes twice a day. AM: an hour prior to lights on & PM: an hour prior to lights out. Sometimes I mist during the day but not always. I use distilled water in my misters. I have seen him drink. He’s even taken drinks directly from me on a couple occasions. (He’s not your typical veiled. That I do know.)😄 His poops and uratees have always looked good, so I’m happy with whatever he’s drinking atm. (And I’m one that takes them apart after so many to check and make sure it’s all good.) 😏🤓 I also bought him a big Dripper thinking maybe he’d enjoy the occasional drink, but I’ve not seen him drink out of it once - or from the drippings onto leaves.🤷🏼‍♀️ I may scrap it if after another month or so he still hasn’t, as it’s one less thing on top of the cage. Idk
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Poops are normal consistency and color with good urates that are nice and white. He poops once a day. Usually in the morning after he’s sunned a bit. He’s never been tested.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. (Added a little at the end.)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptibreeze deluxe. Comes w touch LED lights around the inside top, solid front, and screen on sides & top. 24x24x48
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 1) ReptiSun Linear T5HO UVB, 2) incandescent basking light, and maybe a grow light once I determine if it’s safe. (As you may have read above in the thread?) lights are on a timer - 12 on 12 off.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 85° to 70° measured with interior device that gives temp & humidity inside and outside of the cage (it’s the “weather centers” you can get for homes to give forecasts and weather info inside and outside of the home. Censor in cage, readout on table for me.) & I also spot check with a laser temp gun. (I have 2 different kinds of temp guns, so I can double check for accuracy.) As for night time temps: I set my thermostat to come on (heat) @ 60° in winter and it’s set to (cool) 69° during summer. During the day it’s usually 70-74.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Ranges from 80+% to 40-50%. Night to day. However now that it’s summer - I got him in Jan, so have only gone through a winter - I’m curious about humidity. I kept it up high when temps were at appropriate levels. But now that it’s summer and my house won’t be as cold, is that ok? Or do I still need to create a cold and very humid night for him every night?? I’m guessing they still have seasons they go through however long or short, where that also varies, right? Idk looking for guidance/reassurance here. Use mister & in winter I added a cool mist humidifier, and measured with hygrometer as stated above. I also have plastic on his cage that I put up at night and take down during the day when called for.

• Plants -Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes I have all live plants all on approved lists and real wood minus 2 small vines (no moss). I switch up plants and I’m about to redo his cage to add permanent drainage to the bottom, but at the moment heres what he has: shefflera, palm, pothos, gardenia, polka dot plant, birken, china doll, money tree, Hawaiian Ti, wandering jew, wax begonia, ficus Benjamina Danielle, rubber tree, Swiss cheese plant, hibiscus (soon hasn’t come back yet it’s a large bush outside), and the little purple one with fuzzy leaves that I can’t remember the name of and one more I use often but also name is not coming to me at the moment .😓 I just remember it’s also called a Chinese evergreen. But I can look it up tomorrow and let you know if you’d like.👍🏼 And I think that’s all…maybe,🤔 lol. Yep, I have quite a few. And my husband likes to remind me often.😅
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? He’s in a bedroom all to himself. He’s on a table that is about 3’ tall. Top of cage to floor? I’m guessing … I have to get a ladder to make adjustments to top of cage, soooo maybe 7-ish feet? (again I can measure tomorrow if you’d like.) yes there are vents and ceiling fan.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? North TX - and looking for a vet to have on record, if anyone has a good recommendation they’d like to share.☺️🙏🏼

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. None at the moment (other than grow light safety).
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
He’s a very friendly guy who wants to come out several times a day. He enjoys looking out the window, checking out his handsome self in the mirror, climbing, and more climbing, and hanging out in his umbrella tree and staring out the window. He comes up to mommy and gets kisses and hasn’t once backed away or acted as if he doesn’t like it. I know, they’re not supposed to like kisses. Or much of anything for that matter. But he does.🤷🏼‍♀️ He has a couple favorite people, but he definitely likes and trusts the entire family (6 of us) and he happily goes to anyone of us. He’s a happy guy inside or outside of his enclosure. Doesn’t puff up unless he’s basking (getting all that heat) or if I grab my temp gun. Even then it’s mild bc he knows mom won’t let anything happen to him. Otherwise he just hangs out like a normal Cham and we let him go in or out when he asks.

I just remembered this! Whew! He does do one thing that I have not been able to find anywhere in the forums or online, so I’m super curious if anyone else’s Cham does this! He rubs his back feet on branches, and sometimes my fingers, almost like a dog kicking up grass after it’s used the bathroom to air it’s scent. (That’s the only thing I can think of that it reminds me of.) I think he does it to remember the feel of where he is? My best guess… But idk. Anyone else seen this? I can find a video of it and try to share a clip if anyone wants to see… hopefully someone knows what I’m talking about and has also seen this. It’s the cutest thing! That and when he scratches his head with his back leg like a dog.😂 he does it when he sheds or has an itch. I think that’s about it. Ask me anything if you need more info. Thanks for your time in reviewing everything going on in my guys daily life.😊💚🦎💚

1. Photos can be very helpful.
I’ll look for one to attach.

Last edited:
Hi. :) It’s so very nice to have you and your handsome little guy here. I’ll putting my feedback in bold.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, male. Going by what I was told when purchased, 5 months. Going by info I’ve gotten here, possibly 6 months. Looks about right to me.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I have a variety of feeders staple and a couple treats: Dubia, red runners, crickets, BSFL, silkworms, hornworms, waxworms. Excellent variety! He eats about 20-25 small feeders a day - sometimes +/- 5 more or less. Too many. Cut that down to about half. He also LOVES to ride on my shoulder to the kitchen and eat his greens and papaya on occasion. While he will eat greens and fruit, he has zero need for them. It’s better to give those to your feeders and let him get those nutrients thru them. And he tries to grab the fridge every time.😂 He knows *exactly* where it is! (But that’s with all his feeders! He’s so smart!) That is cute! GUTLOADING: I use fresh veggies and fruits. And just last night I made a mix using the guide on the gutloading flyer here. So we will see how that goes. Perfect
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? (This is where I’m curious about my vitamin choice. I think it’s right…I hope.🙏🏼🤞🏼) “Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene advanced formula” given 1x each month. “Flukers Calcium with vitamin D3 & phosphorus free” 1x/month (those are done on the 1st & 15th - one ea). Then the rest of the time I dust with Flukers Calcium without D3. The multivitamin and the calcium with D3 you’ll want to use each twice a month, or one feeding every other week. Perfect to alternate them. Calcium without D3 for every other feeding.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? He has a misting system. (One each in opposing corners.) It goes on for 2 minutes twice a day. AM: an hour prior to lights on & PM: an hour prior to lights out. Excellent Sometimes I mist during the day but not always. I use distilled water in my misters. I have seen him drink. He’s even taken drinks directly from me on a couple occasions. You have no idea how lucky you are. All my chams are secret drinkers. (He’s not your typical veiled. That I do know.)😄 His poops and uratees have always looked good, so I’m happy with whatever he’s drinking atm. (And I’m one that takes them apart after so many to check and make sure it’s all good.) 😏🤓 I also bought him a big Dripper thinking maybe he’d enjoy the occasional drink, but I’ve not seen him drink out of it once - or from the drippings onto leaves.🤷🏼‍♀️I may scrap it if after another month or so he still hasn’t, as it’s one less thing on top of the cage. Idk That is very good. He’s getting enough hydration from misting.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Poops are normal consistency and color with good urates that are nice and white. He poops once a day. Usually in the morning after he’s sunned a bit. He’s never been tested. It’s always a good idea to have a fecal check for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. (Added a little at the end.)
To be continued…

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptibreeze deluxe. Comes w touch LED lights around the inside top, solid front, and screen on sides & top. 24x24x48 Perfect size
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 1) ReptiSun Linear T5HO UVB, What is the strength of your uvb? It should be either a 5.0 or 6% 2) incandescent basking light, and maybe a grow light once I determine if it’s safe. (As you may have read above in the thread?) lights are on a timer - 12 on 12 off.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 85° to 70° 85 is ok for a male, but not any higher. Nice gradient. measured with interior device that gives temp & humidity inside and outside of the cage (it’s the “weather centers” you can get for homes to give forecasts and weather info inside and outside of the home. Censor in cage, readout on table for me.) & I also spot check with a laser temp gun. (I have 2 different kinds of temp guns, so I can double check for accuracy.) As for night time temps: I set my thermostat to come on (heat) @ 60° in winter and it’s set to (cool) 69° during summer. During the day it’s usually 70-74. Nice night time temp drops.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Ranges from 80+% to 40-50%. Night to day. However now that it’s summer - I got him in Jan, so have only gone through a winter - I’m curious about humidity. I kept it up high when temps were at appropriate levels. But now that it’s summer and my house won’t be as cold, is that ok? Or do I still need to create a cold and very humid night for him every night?? When using night time humidifiers, you will need to have your temp drop to below at least 70. I’m guessing they still have seasons they go through however long or short, where that also varies, right? The difference of having heat plus humidity in the wild vs in captivity is ventilation. We do our best to simulate their wild conditions, but the air flow in our homes is obviously limited. Being in Florida, I have great trouble attaining a decent and consistent night time temp drop, so I don’t use a humidifier. I do boost humidity a small bit at night with a couple of 15 second mistings and also give a 2 minute mid day misting. This is what works for me. You’ll have to discover what works for you. :)Idk looking for guidance/reassurance here. Use mister & in winter I added a cool mist humidifier, and measured with hygrometer as stated above. I also have plastic on his cage that I put up at night and take down during the day when called for
    • Plants -Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes I have all live plants all on approved lists and real wood minus 2 small vines (no moss). I switch up plants and I’m about to redo his cage to add permanent drainage to the bottom, but at the moment heres what he has: shefflera, palm, pothos, gardenia, polka dot plant, birken, china doll, money tree, Hawaiian Ti, wandering jew, wax begonia, ficus Benjamina Danielle, rubber tree, Swiss cheese plant, hibiscus (soon hasn’t come back yet it’s a large bush outside), and the little purple one with fuzzy leaves that I can’t remember the name of and one more I use often but also name is not coming to me at the moment .😓 I just remember it’s also called a Chinese evergreen. But I can look it up tomorrow and let you know if you’d like.👍🏼 And I think that’s all…maybe,🤔 lol. Yep, I have quite a few. And my husband likes to remind me often.😅 That’s a lot of plants! Wow! I can’t verify the safety of all right now, specifically the gardenia, Hawaiian Ti and Chinese Evergreen. Maybe another member can advise on those.
    • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? He’s in a bedroom all to himself. He’s on a table that is about 3’ tall. Top of cage to floor? I’m guessing … I have to get a ladder to make adjustments to top of cage, soooo maybe 7-ish feet? (again I can measure tomorrow if you’d like.)If you need to get on a ladder to reach the top, no need to measure…it’s perfect! yes there are vents and ceiling fan. Are any vents blowing at him? If so, vent deflectors are an easy fix. Unless keeping the ceiling fan on high, or directly above him, it should be fine.
    • Location - Where are you geographically located? North TX - and looking for a vet to have on record, if anyone has a good recommendation they’d like to share.☺️🙏🏼 These may help you to find a good vet. Do be prepared for the possibility of traveling a bit. While I have an exotics vet within walking distance, I prefer to drive about 40 minutes for one experienced and knowledgeable with chams.
      https://arav.site-ym.com/ https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/area-by-area-country-vet-list.32880/

• Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. None at the moment (other than grow light safety). What is the brand/model of light?

Hi. :) It’s so very nice to have you and your handsome little guy here. I’ll putting my feedback in bold. Thank you so much! I’m adding my responses in blue for you.😉😊

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled, male. Going by what I was told when purchased, 5 months. Going by info I’ve gotten here, possibly 6 months. Looks about right to me. 👍🏼
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I have a variety of feeders staple and a couple treats: Dubia, red runners, crickets, BSFL, silkworms, hornworms, waxworms. Excellent variety! He eats about 20-25 small feeders a day - sometimes +/- 5 more or less. Too many. Cut that down to about half. Yeah after I thought about it, I should’ve clarified that # includes many tiny little feeders that could count as 2-3 regular ones. Like itty bitty red runners & BSFL. So 10 could be those little BSFL, 5 tiny RR, and then the other are likely crickets and Dubia split 5/5 or 6/4… is that still too much? I read not to start cutting back until about 8-9 months. Is that correct? He also LOVES to ride on my shoulder to the kitchen and eat his greens and papaya on occasion. While he will eat greens and fruit, he has zero need for them. It’s better to give those to your feeders and let him get those nutrients thru them. Ok, thank you. I keep getting conflicting info on this part so figured it was better to let him enjoy the vitamins and minerals when he can get them straight from the source vs a feeder that may or may not give it to him.🤷🏼‍♀️ Plus he loves them so much! Papaya esp is so good for them! Well animals in general. Idk I guess I need to do more research here. Should I stop until then or is it ok for him to enjoy them for now? It’s just a couple times a week (sometimes we miss a day or even a week, but that’s about avg I guess. I’d have to check my log I keep if everything he eats for a definite #.)
    And he tries to grab the fridge every time.😂 He knows *exactly* where it is! (But that’s with all his feeders! He’s so smart!) That is cute! GUTLOADING: I use fresh veggies and fruits. And just last night I made a mix using the guide on the gutloading flyer here. So we will see how that goes. Perfect
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? (This is where I’m curious about my vitamin choice. I think it’s right…I hope.🙏🏼🤞🏼) “Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene advanced formula” given 1x each month. “Flukers Calcium with vitamin D3 & phosphorus free” 1x/month (those are done on the 1st & 15th - one ea). Then the rest of the time I dust with Flukers Calcium without D3. The multivitamin and the calcium with D3 you’ll want to use each twice a month, or one feeding every other week. Perfect to alternate them. Calcium without D3 for every other feeding. Ok, I just want to clarify to make sure I’m understanding correctly, bc this is another topic I keep seeing with both of the following answers: 1) give a multivitamin and the cal w/D3 on say the 1st & 15th, but not together. Pick one for one day and one for the other. Then dust with Cal w/o D3 for all other feedings. 2) give multivitamin & cal w/D3 twice a month (usually I see this with no specifics given) and all others are cal w/o D3. I didn’t want to overload him on anything so I changed his from the twice a month to the 1 each (multi & cal w/D3) on 1st & 15th about 4-6 weeks ago. So do I give him a multivitamin dusting on say the 1st AND 15th, mixed WITH his calcium with D3? Or is it one of those on the 1st and one on the 15th? Then with either situation, the cal w/o D3 all other feedings…? Sorry…I just want to get it right.😰
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? He has a misting system. (One each in opposing corners.) It goes on for 2 minutes twice a day. AM: an hour prior to lights on & PM: an hour prior to lights out. Excellent Sometimes I mist during the day but not always. I use distilled water in my misters. I have seen him drink. He’s even taken drinks directly from me on a couple occasions. You have no idea how lucky you are. Thank you! I get a sense from reading, but no, I don’t live it, so I can only imagine the hardships it could bring. He picked me, so I do feel truly blessed! All my chams are secret drinkers. (He’s not your typical veiled. That I do know.)😄 His poops and uratees have always looked good, so I’m happy with whatever he’s drinking atm. (And I’m one that takes them apart after so many to check and make sure it’s all good.) 😏🤓 I also bought him a big Dripper thinking maybe he’d enjoy the occasional drink, but I’ve not seen him drink out of it once - or from the drippings onto leaves.🤷🏼‍♀️I may scrap it if after another month or so he still hasn’t, as it’s one less thing on top of the cage. Idk That is very good. He’s getting enough hydration from misting. 👍🏼
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Poops are normal consistency and color with good urates that are nice and white. He poops once a day. Usually in the morning after he’s sunned a bit. He’s never been tested. It’s always a good idea to have a fecal check for parasites. Yes, I agree. Still looking for a vet.
To be continued…

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptibreeze deluxe. Comes w touch LED lights around the inside top, solid front, and screen on sides & top. 24x24x48 Perfect size
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 1) ReptiSun Linear T5HO UVB, What is the strength of your uvb? It should be either a 5.0 or 6% 2) incandescent basking light, and maybe a grow light once I determine if it’s safe. (As you may have read above in the thread?) lights are on a timer - 12 on 12 off.
It won’t let me do color on this one🤷🏼‍♀️ Oh well this works too. Yes, it’s a 5.0
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 85° to 70° 85 is ok for a male, but not any higher.
👍🏼 And thank you 👇🏼
  • Nice gradient. measured with interior device that gives temp & humidity inside and outside of the cage (it’s the “weather centers” you can get for homes to give forecasts and weather info inside and outside of the home. Censor in cage, readout on table for me.) & I also spot check with a laser temp gun. (I have 2 different kinds of temp guns, so I can double check for accuracy.) As for night time temps: I set my thermostat to come on (heat) @ 60° in winter and it’s set to (cool) 69° during summer. During the day it’s usually 70-74. Nice night time temp drops.
Thank you
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Ranges from 80+% to 40-50%. Night to day. However now that it’s summer - I got him in Jan, so have only gone through a winter - I’m curious about humidity. I kept it up high when temps were at appropriate levels. But now that it’s summer and my house won’t be as cold, is that ok? Or do I still need to create a cold and very humid night for him every night?? When using night time humidifiers, you will need to have your temp drop to below at least 70.
Correct. That’s the only time I used them. But I’m a little confused about whether I still have to create that low temp & super high humidity (80%-100%) still, even throughout summer? Or is it ok to have it as it is and not have the humidity quite so high? It’s still prob 60% - 70% at night, not as cold or as humid as it was during winter. I actually just went in to see what it is right now and it’s 69° with 59% humidity. I didn’t do any extra misting today, so this is where things are as a baseline, I guess you could say. A normal night in our home without any manipulation of temp or humidity from me. Is this still in the range of “ok” for him? (I’ll attach a pic.)
  • I’m guessing they still have seasons they go through however long or short, where that also varies, right? The difference of having heat plus humidity in the wild vs in captivity is ventilation. We do our best to simulate their wild conditions, but the air flow in our homes is obviously limited. Being in Florida, I have great trouble attaining a decent and consistent night time temp drop, so I don’t use a humidifier. I do boost humidity a small bit at night with a couple of 15 second mistings and also give a 2 minute mid day misting. This is what works for me. You’ll have to discover what works for you. :)

Thank you! I think this answers my question above, but again, just hoping for clarification so I don’t misunderstand anything. I apologize if it seems repetitive in any way. I just want the best for him and misunderstandings in husbandry wouldn’t be good. So thank you for your patience while I learn!🙏🏼☺️
    **yep, now it let me do the blue. But not the return under your comment. 🤔😣🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️ Anyway…. Lol

Idk looking for guidance/reassurance here. Use mister & in winter I added a cool mist humidifier, and measured with hygrometer as stated above. I also have plastic on his cage that I put up at night and take down during the day when called for
    • Plants -Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes I have all live plants all on approved lists and real wood minus 2 small vines (no moss). I switch up plants and I’m about to redo his cage to add permanent drainage to the bottom, but at the moment heres what he has: shefflera, palm, pothos, gardenia, polka dot plant, birken, china doll, money tree, Hawaiian Ti, wandering jew, wax begonia, ficus Benjamina Danielle, rubber tree, Swiss cheese plant, hibiscus (soon hasn’t come back yet it’s a large bush outside), and the little purple one with fuzzy leaves that I can’t remember the name of and one more I use often but also name is not coming to me at the moment .😓 I just remember it’s also called a Chinese evergreen. But I can look it up tomorrow and let you know if you’d like.👍🏼 And I think that’s all…maybe,🤔 lol. Yep, I have quite a few. And my husband likes to remind me often.😅 That’s a lot of plants! Wow! I can’t verify the safety of all right now, specifically the gardenia, Hawaiian Ti and Chinese Evergreen. Maybe another member can advise on those.
Thank you. I found all my plant recommendations through the lists here, so I pray they’re ok. I do have a lot, but I enjoy switching a few out when one inside his cage needs a break. Plus he really enjoys climbing on them and exploring when he’s out of his cage, which I think provides him with extra enrichment. Kind of a win/win for us.

One thing I recently read said that gardenia BLOOMS aren’t good for chams, but the plant is on the safe list. That was confusing to me. He liked to take bites of his gardenia at first, but then he started eating the greens I provided instead. Then when I put his pothos in, he tried that too. And again, went back to what I offer him. (He
loves himself some mustard greens! Among others…)😂😂 so he’s not big on eating any plants inside his enclosure anymore and just enjoys what he gets on his field trips to the kitchen.😂 But if anyone has clarification on the gardenia - especially the blooms part, that would be amazing!!🙏🏼❤️ And of course if anyone sees other plants with problems, plz lmk. Thx!🙏🏼
    • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? He’s in a bedroom all to himself. He’s on a table that is about 3’ tall. Top of cage to floor? I’m guessing … I have to get a ladder to make adjustments to top of cage, soooo maybe 7-ish feet? (again I can measure tomorrow if you’d like.)If you need to get on a ladder to reach the top, no need to measure…it’s perfect! yes there are vents and ceiling fan. Are any vents blowing at him? If so, vent deflectors are an easy fix. Unless keeping the ceiling fan on high, or directly above him, it should be fine.
No vents are blowing on him. And ceiling fan is on low just to provide some air circulation for him. It’s also not over him as it’s in the center of the room and he’s over in a corner of the room.
Thank you so much!🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🦎💚

• Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. None at the moment (other than grow light safety). What is the brand/model of light?
It’s one that was recommended here, the Sansi 70w I believe (it’s black and square). After reading the warnings in their instruction booklet, I bought the sansi 36w. It’s a large round, flat top type bulb (kind of spotlight shape). It didn’t come with an instructional booklet, just a promotional card. So I think I need to contact them and see if they can answer some questions about the two and if they’re different in some way and maybe that’s why this one didn’t come with the same booklet. Or was it just not in the box and should’ve been? Idk
** I just tried to post and it says I’m over word count so this comment/answer is continued below. (At least I hope to get it posted correctly.)

Attachments

• 514FE2AE-6FBC-4C60-ACBB-3187D0C0D0CB.jpeg
    514FE2AE-6FBC-4C60-ACBB-3187D0C0D0CB.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
It won’t let me do color on this one🤷🏼‍♀️ Oh well this works too. Yes, it’s a 5.0

👍🏼 And thank you 👇🏼

Thank you

Correct. That’s the only time I used them. But I’m a little confused about whether I still have to create that low temp & super high humidity (80%-100%) still, even throughout summer? Or is it ok to have it as it is and not have the humidity quite so high? It’s still prob 60% - 70% at night, not as cold or as humid as it was during winter. I actually just went in to see what it is right now and it’s 69° with 59% humidity. (I’ll attach a pic.)

Thank you. I found all my plant recommendations through the lists here, so I pray they’re ok. I do have a lot, but I enjoy switching a few out when one inside his cage needs a break. Plus he really enjoys climbing on them and exploring when he’s out of his cage, which I think provides him with extra enrichment. Kind of a win/win for us.

One thing I recently read said that gardenia BLOOMS aren’t good for chams, but the plant is on the safe list. That was confusing to me. He liked to take bites of his gardenia at first, but then he started eating the greens I provided instead. Then when I put his pothos in, he tried that too. And again, went back to what I offer him. (He
loves himself some mustard greens! Among others…)😂😂 But if anyone has clarification on the gardenia - especially the blooms part, that would be amazing!!🙏🏼❤️

No vents are blowing on him. And ceiling fan is on low just to provide some air circulation for him. It’s also not over him as it’s in the center of the room and he’s over in a corner of the room.

Thank you so much!🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🦎💚

It’s one that was recommended here, the Sansi 70w I believe (it’s black and square). After reading the warnings in their instruction booklet, I bought the sansi 36w. It’s a large round, flat top type bulb (kind of spotlight shape). It didn’t come with an instructional booklet, just a promotional card. So I think I
need to contact them and see if they can answer some questions about the two and if they’re different in some way and maybe that’s why this one didn’t come with the same booklet. Or was it just not in the box and should’ve been? Idk
** I just tried to post and it says I’m over word count so this comment/answer is continued below. (At least I hope to get it posted correctly.)
Continuing…

But the larger isssue is that it just makes sense to me that if a Cham can see such a large spectrum of light, it doesn’t matter if WE see white or “blurple” grow light colors, it’s what THEY can see. Which definitely includes red, as we know. It’s shown on every grow light chart there is, as it’s so important for plants. So I’ll be honest, and there may be a lot of ppl who don’t like me for saying this…I hope not, but🤷🏼‍♀️… maybe we shouldn’t be using grow lights in their cages? Of course, maybe it is ok … I mean my reptibreeze “deluxe” cage he calls home has the touch LED lights that go around the top. Theres a red/white option, an all white, or all red. Surely they’d (reptibreeze company) do their research on light choices when choosing them for their upgraded reptile cages - that are made for chams, right?? Maybe. Not necessarily. But hopefully. Who knows. I’d never use the all red, but I did have it on the red/white until a conversation here prompted me that I shouldn’t do that. “Better safe than sorry.” And I agree, so I don’t anymore. But that’s actually what got me thinking about the grow lights. Just bc we can’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t there. People in general pretty much hated the purple grow lights so companies took note and started to make and marketed grow lights that shine white (for us) so we’d buy them. Idk. This is kind of a big discussion - not just a simple answer on my form. (At least I’m guessing? Maybe not and it’s all been figured out and I haven’t found it.) At any rate, I’m sorry MissSkittles, I certainly don’t want to dump it all in your lap.😯🤭😰😣😅 I Just thought I’d explain it all here since that was indeed my question….just kind of a big one.
😬 But maybe others will jump in and we can discuss and brainstorm and read studies to come up with what’s best for our chams. That’s all I want. Idk maybe a new thread? Here’s fine with me if it’s ok with you all. I’m new to forums so I have no clue how this works. lol Please guide me!🙏🏼😅☺️

And thank you again for your guidance and all your time spent going over my husbandry form. I appreciate it so much!!🙏🏼☺️💚🦎

I’ll do my best to answer your questions. :)
Feeder size - If let’s say you’re giving 1/4” feeders instead of 1/2” or larger, then you will want to give more of them. As he’s getting older, you will start to gradually reduce the amount you feed, so that by the time he’s around 10 months old he’s getting about 4 feeders every other day or even 3 days a week.
Feeding produce - I used to give my girls a couple of blueberries a couple of times a week. They liked them and I liked giving them. I didn’t make the conscious decision to stop…I just did as I learned what’s best for them. The problem with fruits is the sugar content. For greens, some contain oxalates which can bind to calcium, which decreases their blood levels of calcium. I just provide lots of safe plants and my chams nibble away as they want. They love hibiscus, especially the flowers. Some keepers do choose to offer a couple of occasional nibbles of safe greens, but it’s not needed and they aren’t able to properly digest plant matter. Why they eat their plants is still unknown.
Supplement schedule - You don’t want to give the multivitamin and calcium with D3 together, unless it is a specially formulated combination such as Reptivite with D3, Repashy with LoD or similar types. For example, you’d use the multivitamin in the 1st and 15th. You’d use the calcium with D3 on the 8th and 22nd. Every other feeding you’ll use the calcium without D3.
Night humidity and temps - It’s good to maintain the cool humid nights if you can. Some times that just isn’t possible and you’ll need to adapt to your specific conditions. The main thing to keep in mind is that heat + humidity = risk for respiratory infection. If you can’t achieve a night temp drop below at least 70, you won’t be wanting to boost humidity to 80-100%. The purpose of having cool humid nights is to try to simulate the natural hydration they get in the wild thru fog.

Continuing on….
From what information as can find with a quick search of the archives, gardenia blooms are toxic. I don’t know about the leaves, but I would suggest erring on the side of caution and remove it. I didn’t even realize it but a couple of my chams have Hawaiian Ti in their enclosures. My male veiled doesn’t eat his plants much and I don’t see any bites on his. …and I’m also using the Chinese Evergreen with my panther. :rolleyes: Guess I really need to learn the common plant names - I know them by their complicated and impossible to pronounce names.
Plant lights - I have the Sansi 70w above each of my enclosures. I was lacking one 70w for one, so I have a Sansi 36w over it instead. I’ve been using these for about 2 1/2 years now and the only issue I’ve found is it’s the brightest light and my chams try to bask under them. I have the lights hung now so I can place their basking and uvb lights over where they prefer to bask. I’ve found that the 70w is strong enough to keep hibiscus alive and thriving (as long as the plant is tall). As for color spectrums and all that, I’m completely incapable of wrapping my head around that stuff. I do know that there have been several posts about it that you can search the forum for. @nightanole knows about lights, color spectrums and all that and maybe he can answer your questions.

In a perfect world with a perfect grow light, all leaves would look "black" to us. We see green, because the plant does not absorb/use green, it reflected it. The "blurpuple" funny lights are great for hydroponics, because they do not produce colors the plants do not use. All the T5HO fixtures are not designed for "cages". They are designed to hover a few inches over a 12-18" industry standard grow tray.

And there is also marketing and markets. Home growers are not growing food to sell at the maximum efficiency. Home growers typically want to "see" their plants because it is a "hobby". They want full spectrum so what they are growing can look as lovely as possible. They might even be growing hydro roses and other "inedibles".

Finally, ALL THESE LIGHTS ARE FAKES, both LED and florescent. You worry about what your chameleon sees? A T5HO full spectrum bulb only puts outs dead center red,green, and blue. It does not put out orange or pink or brown. The thing between our ears and the thing between the chameleons not ears, interprets the 3 RGB spikes as "white". Same with the LEDS, though the single white ones are starting to put out "a little" light inbetween RGB, but for the most part its still just the RGB spikes.

But at the end of the day, it really doesnt matter much. The magic 6500k everyone shoots for, that just mimics the 1 hour a day at noon during summer. Outside of that window, it could be 3000-9000k depending on the time of day and time of year :p

In a perfect world with a perfect grow light, all leaves would look "black" to us. We see green, because the plant does not absorb/use green, it reflected it. The "blurpuple" funny lights are great for hydroponics, because they do not produce colors the plants do not use. All the T5HO fixtures are not designed for "cages". They are designed to hover a few inches over a 12-18" industry standard grow tray.

And there is also marketing and markets. Home growers are not growing food to sell at the maximum efficiency. Home growers typically want to "see" their plants because it is a "hobby". They want full spectrum so what they are growing can look as lovely as possible. They might even be growing hydro roses and other "inedibles".

Finally, ALL THESE LIGHTS ARE FAKES, both LED and florescent. You worry about what your chameleon sees? A T5HO full spectrum bulb only puts outs dead center red,green, and blue. It does not put out orange or pink or brown. The thing between our ears and the thing between the chameleons not ears, interprets the 3 RGB spikes as "white". Same with the LEDS, though the single white ones are starting to put out "a little" light inbetween RGB, but for the most part its still just the RGB spikes.

But at the end of the day, it really doesnt matter much. The magic 6500k everyone shoots for, that just mimics the 1 hour a day at noon during summer. Outside of that window, it could be 3000-9000k depending on the time of day and time of year :p
Thanks @nightanole 🥰

I’ll do my best to answer your questions. :)
Feeder size - If let’s say you’re giving 1/4” feeders instead of 1/2” or larger, then you will want to give more of them. As he’s getting older, you will start to gradually reduce the amount you feed, so that by the time he’s around 10 months old he’s getting about 4 feeders every other day or even 3 days a week.
Feeding produce - I used to give my girls a couple of blueberries a couple of times a week. They liked them and I liked giving them. I didn’t make the conscious decision to stop…I just did as I learned what’s best for them. The problem with fruits is the sugar content. For greens, some contain oxalates which can bind to calcium, which decreases their blood levels of calcium. I just provide lots of safe plants and my chams nibble away as they want. They love hibiscus, especially the flowers. Some keepers do choose to offer a couple of occasional nibbles of safe greens, but it’s not needed and they aren’t able to properly digest plant matter. Why they eat their plants is still unknown.
Supplement schedule - You don’t want to give the multivitamin and calcium with D3 together, unless it is a specially formulated combination such as Reptivite with D3, Repashy with LoD or similar types. For example, you’d use the multivitamin in the 1st and 15th. You’d use the calcium with D3 on the 8th and 22nd. Every other feeding you’ll use the calcium without D3.
Night humidity and temps - It’s good to maintain the cool humid nights if you can. Some times that just isn’t possible and you’ll need to adapt to your specific conditions. The main thing to keep in mind is that heat + humidity = risk for respiratory infection. If you can’t achieve a night temp drop below at least 70, you won’t be wanting to boost humidity to 80-100%. The purpose of having cool humid nights is to try to simulate the natural hydration they get in the wild thru fog.

Thank you sooooo much!!🙏🏼🙏🏼

Back
Top Bottom