Help! Gnawing on Terracotta pot!?!?

ChamOh

Established Member
I typically feed my cham at 8:15 am, yesterday I had to feed him at 7:30 am, today I slept in and fed him at 9:30 am.

I woke up and checked his cage only to find him at the bottom gnawing on a terracotta pot! It was making a terrible sound and scared the sh*t out of me when I saw him doing this. You definitely could hear his little teeth/jaw scraping on the pot.

WTH was that all about? any ideas?

I then went to cup feed him, and he seemed dehydrated. no physical signs that I could see, but his tounge seemed dry, it actually stuck to the cup for a second. So I immediately gave a misting and he went for a drink, he seemed pretty thirsty.

I don't know if the pot thing and being thirsty are somehow related or not, but I'm a little concerned with this behavior. BTW, the organic soil is covered with river rocks although if he were really trying i believe he could get his head into the soil and eat a little. But again I didn't catch him eating soil, I caught him gnawing the pot!

THANKS!

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Panther, Male, 3 1/2 months, in my care for less than two weeks

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
haven't yet

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
"Small" crickets, approx 10-12 per day in the morning, gut loading crix with Zilla Cricket and Insect Food, greens, carrots, and providing them with water crystals.

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Reptical, Reptical w/ D3, Reptivite. Schedule from breeder which is a rotating schedule, which consists of two weeks. Week one: calcium, none, calcium, vitamins, calcium, none, calcium. Week Two: Vitamins, calcium, none, calcium, vitamins, calcium, none. Calcium w/ D3 is used instead of regular calcium once or twice a month.

I will be switching out the reptivite for herptivite, because I'm concerned about all the Vit A in Reptivite, where as herptivite uses beta carotene.

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Drip system and misting. Mist two to three times per day. I used 1/2 of a water bottle which causes a humidity spike in the 80-90 percent range.

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Brown and white. Consistency unknown. Not tested yet for bugs.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
screen 18x18x20

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
retisun 5.0 linear tube, 34 watt incandescent house bulb. 12 hrs

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Floor is around 70 degrees, basking is 84, ambient around 69, over night around 67, digital thermometer readings.

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
room humidity is as bad as 20 percent. Cage stays around thirty when dry, after misting spikes up to 85/90 and stays humid for a while. Back and 1/3 of sides of cage are enclosed with aquarium background that helps keep humidity in cage.

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? schefflera, pothos

* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Bedroom, Bottom of cage is about 3 ft off the ground.

* Location - Where are you geographically located? Eastern Pennsylvania.

Well unless to have a way to cover it so he can't I wouldnt worry to much about it unless it starts breaking off and he actually ingests it. I would just keep watching him and maybe switch the pot to a nice plastic one that you can pick up at HD or Lowes for like $6. Good luck with it cause that is really weird.

Your temps are a bit high since he is so young. I would say to lower the temps a bit to around 80 degrees. Everything else looks perfect. As long as his urates are white like you described, he isn't dehydrating, but an extra good mist never hurt anyone!

I'm sure ingesting terracotta isn't good lol Did any chip off or was he just gnawing at it? I agree with boj..I think your best bet would be to switch it to a plastic pot. Until then just keep an eye on him.

no chips, just down there, nearly black and gnawing on the pot...very strange. Maybe he was really thirsty (although I have a dripper, he doesn't understand it yet, he just stares at it...I also try to keep up with the mistings) and knows that the soil contains moisture and was trying to get at the soil? idk. hopefully I never see it happening again, it was kind of a traumatic way to wake up and doesn't seem healthy for him at all... hopefully he's alright.. :confused:

I'm sure he'll be fine if he didn't ingest any of it. I know exactly what you mean about the dripper. Mine just stares at it like hes not sure whether to shoot at the drops or go over and just lick them. Everytime he goes to shoot the drop falls which just confuses him more lol

My thoughts.....

Young growing Panthers often like to gnaw things in their cage. Sometimes its hunger and other times its exploration. If I notice that a chameleon seems extra thirsty I mist it a little more in that session until it seems satisfied. If he seems very thirsty every day then he may have a health problem. Your misting seems fine. Cages will dry out in between mistings. This is not bad, as it curbs fungus or mold.

I think your temperatures are just fine. 84 degrees for basking is fine. Your ambients and night time temps are fine too. Can we get a picture of your boy just to see how his overall health looks?

Here's some pics of him eating...

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• DSCI0659.jpg
    DSCI0659.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCI0663.jpg
    DSCI0663.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCI0661.jpg
    DSCI0661.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 60