HELP found mites on umbrella plants!!! ahhhhhh

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Ok guys. So I got this umbrella... Cleaned the leaves by soaking and washing off in dawn and warm water all the way down to the roots. 3 times then rinsed completely and air dried. Upon inspection today I found microscopic bugs on it. They are seriously tiny and I never would have seen them had I not been face to face with them. Beman has been hanging out on this plant... What do I do??????? Will they infest Beman? Trash the plant? :(

Don’t know but I’d scrap it before it spreads.
Yep everything has been taken outside all $75 of plants. I just checked the ficus and Crotons and they are on there too. :(
Gonna take them all back to the store. They don't seem to be on my giant pothos but it was across the room from the ones that have them and it was bought at a different nursery. But I am guessing since Beman was on it they could have been transferred to his cage and everything in there as well...

Ok guys. So I got this umbrella... Cleaned the leaves by soaking and washing off in dawn and warm water all the way down to the roots. 3 times then rinsed completely and air dried. Upon inspection today I found microscopic bugs on it. They are seriously tiny and I never would have seen them had I not been face to face with them. Beman has been hanging out on this plant... What do I do??????? Will they infest Beman? Trash the plant? :(

Are you able to get a pic of them? They may be aphids.

Are you able to get a pic of them? They may be aphids.
Pretty sure they are not aphids. I am about 95% sure they are spider mites. There are little tiny webs where they are. If I squish it it leaves almost a burnt orange color. I think they only go after plants. I am googling now. It says they travel to other plants via people, shoes, animals, and clothes. But I can't find anything on how long they live on an animal before moving on. :(

Looks like this but not this infested. Right now I have just found little tiny webs with one or two here and there.

Attachments

• TSSM3_600px.jpg
    TSSM3_600px.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 394
Pretty sure they are not aphids. I am about 95% sure they are spider mites. There are little tiny webs where they are. If I squish it it leaves almost a burnt orange color. I think they only go after plants. I am googling now. It says they travel to other plants via people, shoes, animals, and clothes. But I can't find anything on how long they live on an animal before moving on. :(

Gotcha, possibly try predator mites. https://www.arbico-organics.com/cat...MIiIqBqduW4AIV0YKzCh3PIQ64EAAYASAAEgL_tvD_BwE

So burning everything to the ground is overkill huh. LOL joking joking. I am just going to take all the plants back to the store. They were all for his new cage I am getting. I will have to toss the plants in his current cage and the items I cant clean... May just trash it all and not risk it. I just don't know how long they will stay on Beman.... or if I should even be concerned since they are plant mites.

did you find any on Beman??? if so just stick beman in the shower for a little the mites will probably not like the water

My theory was predatory mites (carnivores) at some point could get big enogh to bite chams, so I opted to give away my plants, not beiing able to spray them with chemical miteicides, mites are nearly impossible to get rid of, they reproduce at a fast rate and the eggs can be dormant for 6 months to a year, in light fixtures, pots, wood, anything

My theory was predatory mites (carnivores) at some point could get big enogh to bite chams, so I opted to give away my plants, not beiing able to spray them with chemical miteicides, mites are nearly impossible to get rid of, they reproduce at a fast rate and the eggs can be dormant for 6 months to a year, in light fixtures, pots, wood, anything

https://www.arbico-organics.com/category/Green-Lacewings-chrysoperla-beneficial-insects

Green lacewing are safe for chams to eat and kill a variety of pests....though they technically aren't mites.

did you find any on Beman??? if so just stick beman in the shower for a little the mites will probably not like the water
No but they are so freaking tiny. But Yeah that was what I was thinking too. He is shedding his belly today so I am gonna wait until he completes it before I try that. I just talked to his Vet she said that I should not worry about spider mites with him that they will go for the plants in the cage if they are on him. So I am going to trash everything in his current cage and not chance cross contaminating to the new cage. I will check him over really well before putting him in to the new one as well. Just totally creepy and gross and freaked me out when I saw them in the light from the window. :p

Yeah that is what the Vet just told me... So trashing everything. Totally bummed though because the umbrella was beautiful and so perfect for his new cage :(

THANK YOU dshuld!!! Where do I get lacewing bugs??

It's the larval stage you want. The site I linked sells them but a word of advise, skip the eggs no matter how temping it is, go with the pre hatched larvae. I never saw anything come of the eggs I got from them. The prehatched are small, very small lol. I dug through the bran to make sure I got some and almost thought I got nothing in there and then I saw tiny tiny beatle larvae looking things. They took care of the aphid problem I had though once I had the larvae.

Back
Top Bottom