Help! First time Chameleon owner.

RachelSmith

Hi there,
I am a brand new Chameleon owner and this forum has already helped me SO much!! I do have a few questions still though...
I think I have a baby male Jackson Chameleon but I'm not 100% sure. I don't even know how old he is? He is still very dark in color and began shedding all over today (I have had him 5 days). If anyone could help me out with some facts about him that would be great?!

Attachments

• FF334910-2345-4B51-904E-F4E91CF0D194.jpeg
    FF334910-2345-4B51-904E-F4E91CF0D194.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 92
  • F56EA3BA-EC7E-4DBE-8366-4D19327FD751.jpeg
    F56EA3BA-EC7E-4DBE-8366-4D19327FD751.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 5CEB2032-759D-4DB6-ABE9-B1199C766213.jpeg
    5CEB2032-759D-4DB6-ABE9-B1199C766213.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 78
Can you fill out this form please? Where did you get him and what did they tell you about 'him'?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hi Camryn, thanks for replying. Here is that form filled out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - I think a Jackson chameleon (not sure what exact species), male, age unknown (juvenile?) I have had him 5 days.
  • Handling - I have only handled him a few time for short periods when I was setting up his cage.
  • Feeding - My local PetCo only sells crickets and meal worms so thats what I've been feeding him. I've fed him about 10 crickets each day, 5 in the am and 5 in the pm. I have not gut-loaded anything yet as I'm not sure how to do that yet.
  • Supplements - Not yet given any supplements as I am also unaware of how to do this.
  • Watering - I have been misting him and his cage with a spray bottle multiple times a day. I am yet to actually see him drinking though.
  • Fecal Description - hasn't been tested for parasites. fecal looks normal with a hint of orange (i know this means dehydration).
  • History - I found him on the side of the road while walking my dog. Hence the little I know about him.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have a Reptibreeze mesh cage 16x16x30in
  • Lighting - Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 UVB 13 watt tropical fluorescent & Zoo Med Daylight Blue 60w bulb together in a combo bulb lamp fixture on top of the cage. I turn the bulbs on in the am about 8am and turn them off at 8pm. Complete darkness at night.
  • Temperature - Basking spot averages 86f and bottom of cage averages 75f. Lowest overnight temp has been about 72f. I have a thermometer in the cage.
  • Humidity - I don't have a humidity reader but here in Hawaii humidity is always high. I mist the whole cage multiple times a day with a spray bottle.
  • Plants - no live plants.
  • Placement - on top of a small dresser by a window. ceiling fan is in the room but the cage is not under it. The top of the cage is 5 feet off the floor.
  • Location - Big Island, Hawaii

Current Problem - Seems to be healthy, a little dehydrated. I am curious about his age and species.

So for supplements, you should probably buy some Rep-Cal. Supplements are a fine powder that you lightly dust on feeders so that your chameleon can get all of its vitamins/calcium/nutrients required to be healthy. You should buy a supplement without phosphorus, and I believe Rep-Cal is a brand that does not have phosphorus. You should use regular calcium dust without Vitamin D3 every feeding, and then twice or three times a month dust the feeders using a calcium with Vitamin D3. If this is confusing, I can explain it better with examples if you need it.
I suggest you buy an automatic misting system. Mist King is probably the best brand, but I have been using a Monsoon for the past year and a half and had no trouble. But I suggest you buy the system that works best for you and your chameleon. A misting system will ensure that your chameleon gets the chance to drink water even if you are not with him.
Gutloading is a very important component of feeding chameleons. It is when you feed the insects that your chameleon eats with specific ingredients that enrich the diet. I have a list of good gutloading ingredients here: Gutloading Ingredients
For example, you can give your crickets something from the list the night before and then the next day they will have tummies full of goodness, which your chameleon will benefit from. how are you housing your crickets?
I am not entirely well-versed in Jackson's chameleons, but I am fairly sure that you should upgrade to at least a large cage (of the Reptibreeze standards) by the time your chameleon is an adult.
Are your thermometers digital or analog? If they are analog, you may want to switch to digital because the digital thermometers (and humidity gauges) are more reliable and will most likely last longer.
He is quite cute, and apparently going through a shed! Make sure to give him some extra misting when he sheds so that he has nice healthy skin once he is finished. Age is always hard to gauge because it entirely depends on the chameleon and its livings conditions, as well as its species and ancestry.
Can you please post a picture of his tail and under his tail? Just to check for the hemi-penal bulge to signify that it is a male.

OK thanks I will definitely get those supplements and try gut loading my crickets. I am currently buying crickets from Petco that come in a very small plastic container with tiny holes in it. I did notice that they put some type of green block of "food" in there for them.
Ok I will look in to getting an automatic misting system for him. Yes my thermometer is digital.
What is a good amount to be feeding him daily? Does it make a difference if he is a juvenile?
Sure, I'll post some more photos.

I hope these are ok. I didn't want to handle him while he was basking.

Attachments

• BA5B3792-72B0-40FB-A569-53581A9313AE.jpeg
    BA5B3792-72B0-40FB-A569-53581A9313AE.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 69
  • 884AE2BB-17F6-46C3-AB95-81AB2624C33E.jpeg
    884AE2BB-17F6-46C3-AB95-81AB2624C33E.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 9968836E-D374-4D15-9839-C38B6F7E8787.jpeg
    9968836E-D374-4D15-9839-C38B6F7E8787.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 91
Welcome to forums! Your Jackson seems to me likes he's maybe 4-5 months old. I would suggest placing a plant in his enclosure so he can drink water from the leafs once you mist him. Chameleons don't drink from water bowls although I have seen them get in a bowl on youtube. If your wondering what type of plants to get theres a care sheet on the forums that show good plants for them.

So for supplements, you should probably buy some Rep-Cal. Supplements are a fine powder that you lightly dust on feeders so that your chameleon can get all of its vitamins/calcium/nutrients required to be healthy. You should buy a supplement without phosphorus, and I believe Rep-Cal is a brand that does not have phosphorus. You should use regular calcium dust without Vitamin D3 every feeding, and then twice or three times a month dust the feeders using a calcium with Vitamin D3. If this is confusing, I can explain it better with examples if you need it.

Pulled from the Jackson caresheet: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/
"Supplementation:
Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."

I suggest reading through the caresheet and adjust your husbandry accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom