Help Feeding

BunnyGirl

Hello,
I got a 7 month old Ambanja from Chameleon Caretaker, about three weeks ago. He was in a very large cage at first. about 5.5' tall. I have moved him into a smaller enclosure since then. He has barely eaten anything since I got him. I have seen him eat about few crickets, and some worms. He was eating okay when he first came, but has barely eaten since. Does anyone have any advice? He did poop yesterday, it was very small though. He also went CRAZY when I misted him yesterday. He normally would hiss when i was misting, but he climbed right up tome and stayed I had to refill my mister 4 times to make him happy. (I had about 5 inches of water in the bottom of the enclosure that I then had to find a way to remove.) Is this a good sign? I have looked at other chams the same age in pics and his tail looks itty bitty compared to them. I just ordered him Pheniox worms, 1/4" crickets, Hornworms (do these really attract chams?), and silkworms. I am just getting worried about him.

Everyone is going to ask you to fill this out. Not sure if you did it in an earlier thread, but might as well start fresh in this one so everyone can see your information neatly displayed here.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 29 Gallon Glass (I know BAD ME) I ordered an extension top which is screen It will be in wednesday. He has lot of out of cage time though. I have a whole setup for him to roam around the room for about four hours a day. I have a screen cage that is for when he is older.
* Lighting - Lights are on timers 12 hours on 10 off. 10.0 UVB Compact florescent (getting a hood wednesday also so will be changing that) 50 watt basking light
* Temperature - daytime- ambient 70's, Basking 85-90, nighttime lowest - high fifties
* Humidity - Misting three times a day 5 minutes each time, constant drip system
* Plants - was with a rubber plant and spider plant, now with two Large Bosten ferns
* Location - In my bedroom, very low traffic area, only me and my bunnies which he can't see. He was above eye level but now is not I had to downsize his cage.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Male Ambanja, approx 7 months, had him for three weeks
* Handling - 2 - 3 times a week he is very friendly
* Feeding - I have been trying Pheniox worms and cricets. He has barly eaten anything. I just ordered Hornworms, silkworms, and smaller cricks 1/4"
* Supplements - I have five differant supplemants, Useing Chameleon caretakers scheduale. It is so complex don't have time to write it down now, but that is not the problem.
* Watering - Both drip and misting. mist 3x a day for 5 minutes. Constant drip system
* Fecal Description - Not tested that I know of. brownish black, and white
* History - haven't had him long enough to get his habit downs yet.
* Current Problem - He hasn't eaten barely anything since I get him. Look at first post It will explain everything

Well you know what you're doing wrong. When you move his cage he'll stop eating again.
He's only in a 29 Gallon?.. aww.. poor thing..

He wasn't eating in his first cage either.I moved him so he would be able to find his food easier A 29 is more than enough for him, I am still worried that he won't be able to find his food, He looks so small in it

You said you are using a 10.0 UVB Compact florescent.
Is he keeping his eyes open all day?

Did he take any bites from the rubber plant?

His eyes are open all day, and he has not eaten any of the rubber plaby, and it hasn't been ripped or torn anywhere, and he isn't with that anymore.

Im going to say that he is not eating because he is stressed. From what i read it seems that you move handle at least 2x daily, once to take him out of his tank and once to put him back in.

Leave him be for a few days and see what happens.

I second Dunnigan.

When I first obtained Fred he didn't eat for nearly a week. I began to handle him less and let him get acquainted with his new home. Also, I found mine eats the best when cup-fed. I have a little plastic feeder container I kept that I now put his food in. At first he ignored it, but when he became hungry enough he went to it and ate. He's been eating from it ever since. I would try doing that and see how it goes.

Mine rubbed his face at the top of his cage the first week I had him. He did this more after I handled him, or watched him too long.

Since then I have let him become acclimated, he is still apprehensive but more comfortable. Cleaning his cage, or moving him outside no longer causes him to throw stress signs or rubbing. If the guy is throwing black bars everytime you touch him, he probably just wants to be left alone.

Also, I know you were having trouble keeping the humidity in a screen cage, but wouldn't it be easier to just buy a $25 humidifier and leave him be in a proper setup until he becomes acclimated with you and the habits that come with keeping? Also my cage wouldnt hold more than 40% humidity for a while until I misted it for a few days. The plant and soil started retaining alot of moisture and it barely dips below 60% now.

Back
Top Bottom