Help! Disaster! I don't know what to do

Hello, last night I got back from a trip, I left my chameleon in charge of my ex best friend, and as you might have guessed everything went terribly wrong. I don't think my chameleon was watched after, probably hasn't been fed in 4 days, definitely no water (my machine is broken from pumping nothing) ants have invaded my room, destroyed my cockroach colony, I don't have a good pet shop near me, so I have to wait until next weekend, and I'm just so lost and stressed and need help!

Make sure that your cham gets some water and gets hydrated! Depending on how old they are they can go a few days with out food. I am really sorry that this happened. How is your cham doing/looking?

Make sure that your cham gets some water and gets hydrated! Depending on how old they are they can go a few days with out food. I am really sorry that this happened. How is your cham doing/looking?
Thank you! My chameleon seems to be doing fine all things considered, I'm practically been drowning him in water (this is like the fourth time today I've sprayed him) I don't see any ants in his cage, so that's nice. I've killed a whole bunch of ants, but there are still so many!

Attachments

• 20210614_132738.jpg
    20210614_132738.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 110
Yes as others have said no food for a bit is not an issue. How old is the chameleon and what species?
Definitely offer it water but i wouldnt give it too much so your drowning it. Just give it some to drink.

Don't panic. This is a bigger problem for you than the cham. Don't worry about extra water, if your normal schedule is good 4-5 days is nothing. We had an ice storm here and my guys went 10 days with nothing.

Don't panic. This is a bigger problem for you than the cham. Don't worry about extra water, if your normal schedule is good 4-5 days is nothing. We had an ice storm here and my guys went 10 days with nothing.
Thank you! I really needed to hear that they would be fine.

Yes as others have said no food for a bit is not an issue. How old is the chameleon and what species?
Definitely offer it water but i wouldnt give it too much so your drowning it. Just give it some to drink.
Thank you! My chameleon is a year and a half old veiled, but he's only the size of a nine month old chameleon (discussed in a previous thread and with a vet) I'm only going to water him two more times today, just to make sure, then resume my normal schedule. But now I really wish my chameleon liked any type of vegetables :(

So I just got off the phone with my roach guy (which is why it took me over 20 minutes to respond) he gave me some advice (regarding my colony, obviously) he's offered to help me rebuild it, which is amazing! But if you guys have any other tips, they would be greatly appreciated!!!

I only feed my chams on the weekend, you will be fine as long as they are sub adult size.

You may be able to rebuild the roaches, you can have ants and roaches. As long as they are cut off from the queen, they will be dead in weeks. All they will do is create 2 spots, one for the dead, and one for the poop, then they just drill in all directions looking for the colony. I dont even think most species will even attempt to gather food.

I only feed my chams on the weekend, you will be fine as long as they are sub adult size.

You may be able to rebuild the roaches, you can have ants and roaches. As long as they are cut off from the queen, they will be dead in weeks. All they will do is create 2 spots, one for the dead, and one for the poop, then they just drill in all directions looking for the colony. I dont even think most species will even attempt to gather food.
That makes me feel better, I've moved my chameleon out of my room for the time being, I'm probably going to spray with some ant poison (as there are just too many) do you have any idea how long I'll have to wait before the poison levels are low enough and I can put him back in my room?

Thank you! My chameleon is a year and a half old veiled, but he's only the size of a nine month old chameleon (discussed in a previous thread and with a vet) I'm only going to water him two more times today, just to make sure, then resume my normal schedule. But now I really wish my chameleon liked any type of vegetables :(
Have you tried a dripper? This might be a good option for your veiled to decide to drink what they need without being sprayed. I know mine is not a fan of his mister.

Hello, last night I got back from a trip, I left my chameleon in charge of my ex best friend, and as you might have guessed everything went terribly wrong. I don't think my chameleon was watched after, probably hasn't been fed in 4 days, definitely no water (my machine is broken from pumping nothing) ants have invaded my room, destroyed my cockroach colony, I don't have a good pet shop near me, so I have to wait until next weekend, and I'm just so lost and stressed and need help!
I'm glad your cham is ok...but probably shouldn't leave him in charge anymore. 😬

I'm glad your cham is ok...but probably shouldn't leave him in charge anymore. 😬
NEVER again, I'm so pissed at everything they did (and didn't do) and it's a waste of a friendship I've had sense the fifth grade. I've had to take an extra day off to attend to my house, and my other animals (one of my dogs is missing!) Sorry for the mini rant but I'm just very upset!

That makes me feel better, I've moved my chameleon out of my room for the time being, I'm probably going to spray with some ant poison (as there are just too many) do you have any idea how long I'll have to wait before the poison levels are low enough and I can put him back in my room?

Instead of poison, we use natural remedies like salt, soapy water mix or spicy water mix, etc. Remember you dont have to kill the ants, just keep them from coming in.

Instead of poison, we use natural remedies like salt, soapy water mix or spicy water mix, etc. Remember you dont have to kill the ants, just keep them from coming in.
I've been using vinegar, soap, and salt water today (which has made a big difference) but there is quite a bit and I'm worried that I will have to, I'm going tonight to buy spray and spray the perimeter of my house, and I'm hoping that will also help.

OK your chameleon will be fine without eating for a while at that age. I mean when it is possible get more insects for him, but chams will go on hunger strikes for 2 weeks or more randomly, and they live. SO if you cant get food immediately do not panic he will be fine

I've been using vinegar, soap, and salt water today (which has made a big difference) but there is quite a bit and I'm worried that I will have to, I'm going tonight to buy spray and spray the perimeter of my house, and I'm hoping that will also help.
Please don't resort to chemical poisons with animals on the premises.

You need to locate the pheromone trail where they are coming in. Identifying the type/species of ants should help too. Once you make those determinations and treat accordingly with natural remedies, the rest should die off in short order.

20 Safe Ways to Kill Ants in Your Home Without Toxic Chemicals

Back
Top Bottom