HELP! Dig Tunnel Collapsed

GreenPekoe

So our female veiled is gravid and has been digging lately. Came home and had to put some stuff away in "her" room, checked the spy cam and she wasn't digging so I went in. I am glad I did, I couldn't see her in the habitat. I came to the terrifying conclusion that her did must have collapsed. I ran my hands through the dirt and was able to bring her up. She made a big reach for her basking light and I put her in her basking spot and turned on her dripper (she was making mouth movements like she does when she thinks she's getting food). She is covered in dirt. What can I do for her, and what should I be watching for? Or am I making a big deal out of nothing and this is normal. This is our first lay.

Sand and organic soil blend. It’s damp, hold shape...as in it doesn’t slide down back in to her dig but I guess not really good for tunnelling.

Sand and organic soil blend. It’s damp, hold shape...as in it doesn’t slide down back in to her dig but I guess not really good for tunnelling.
That should be fine. Perhaps it isn’t moist enough? I used the same last year ,a soil and sand mix, and underestimated how moist it was. I too had to dig my lady out. It didn’t help at all that she went down a little and then was digging straight across the width of her bin. 🤷‍♀️
Keep a close eye and if it happens again, add more water to the substrate.

That should be fine. Perhaps it isn’t moist enough? I used the same last year ,a soil and sand mix, and underestimated how moist it was. I too had to dig my lady out. It didn’t help at all that she went down a little and then was digging straight across the width of her bin. 🤷‍♀️
Keep a close eye and if it happens again, add more water to the substrate.
Well, she got to nearly the bottom and the substrate is still damp. She's stopped digging and has turned around in her hole. She may be laying, she may be chilling. I'm not sure. I think she was originally digging a vertical tunnel that collapsed.

I'm concerned about her health after being buried. Besides watching for respiratory infection is there anything else I should watch for?

Well, she got to nearly the bottom and the substrate is still damp. She's stopped digging and has turned around in her hole. She may be laying, she may be chilling. I'm not sure. I think she was originally digging a vertical tunnel that collapsed.

I'm concerned about her health after being buried. Besides watching for respiratory infection is there anything else I should watch for?
I can’t really think of anything else. I’d say maybe her eyes, but I haven’t heard much about chams having any eye issues after laying. Maybe @kinyonga could tell more.
Being turned around, she is most likely laying her eggs now. She’ll probably sleep in her hole, so don’t be concerned if she’s in there all night. You’ll know she’s all done when she’s fully covered her hole and is sitting in her usual spot.

I can’t really think of anything else. I’d say maybe her eyes, but I haven’t heard much about chams having any eye issues after laying. Maybe @kinyonga could tell more.
Being turned around, she is most likely laying her eggs now. She’ll probably sleep in her hole, so don’t be concerned if she’s in there all night. You’ll know she’s all done when she’s fully covered her hole and is sitting in her usual spot.
Good to know, I'll keep an eye on her eyes too. She actually already filled in her hole and is now working on filling in her test hole that she dug up last week. She looks a little thinner too. She's also filthy! She hasn't gone up to her spot yet, so I am not sure we are done yet.

Good to know, I'll keep an eye on her eyes too. She actually already filled in her hole and is now working on filling in her test hole that she dug up last week. She looks a little thinner too. She's also filthy! She hasn't gone up to her spot yet, so I am not sure we are done yet.
Sounds like all is going great! She’ll cover all of her holes and do her best to hide any sign that she’s laid eggs. Until she’s back up in her branches, she isn’t done. I give a nice long misting to help hydrate and also rinse some of the dirt off.

Back
Top Bottom