HELP! Decreasing humidity at night

Best choice would be a fogger and no light or heat at night. Bulbs put out heat which is not good when they need a temp drop at night.

He doesn't need fogger he has a problem with humidity hes trying find ways for the humidity to drop
Oh ok i misread it however i can't seem to find what kind of chameleon he is getting first of all and second of all humidity naturally rises at night thats how it is in the wild so now I'm even failing to see an issue do to the fact having higher humidity at night is a good thing.

Well i would need to know what kind of chameleon it is for me to say one way or another but yes for normal chameleons it would be like a veiled but others it would be great.

OK so i found the part where it says its a veiled so ya 90 is way too high for him. I would say 80% would be pushing it still. Honestly the best thing you could do is buy a screen cage. glass cages have their own issues first of all and are better used with chameleons that need high humidity levels.

There is night head light which glows red. Chameleons cannot see this light. So yes he can have one of those eventhough i feel this wont solve his issue
NO, no, no!!! NO!! (Can you tell I mean no? ;))

Read the care sheets if you don't believe me.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/
QUOTE:
Chameleons do not need night lights. A drop in temperature down to 60F (15C) is actually good for metabolism. If temperatures drop lower than that a ceramic heat emitter that does not give off light can be used. Chameleons have a photoreceptive scale (parietal eye) on their head that senses light so even the blue and red bulbs disrupt sleep.

Best choice would be a fogger and no light or heat at night. Bulbs put out heat which is not good when they need a temp drop at night.
Fogger? Did you read the thread? lol :rolleyes: That's the last thing this Cham needs. :D

Oh ok i misread it however i can't seem to find what kind of chameleon he is getting first of all and second of all humidity naturally rises at night thats how it is in the wild so now I'm even failing to see an issue do to the fact having higher humidity at night is a good thing.

You are correct in one thing, we need to know the intended species to be more precise. With that being said, most Chams fit in the general range of 40-70%. Extended periods in high humidity may not be healthy.

Please people, do some research before stating falsehoods or half truths. I understand your trying to help, but misinformation can be worse than no information!

NO, no, no!!! NO!! (Can you tell I mean no? ;))

Read the care sheets if you don't believe me.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/
QUOTE:
Chameleons do not need night lights. A drop in temperature down to 60F (15C) is actually good for metabolism. If temperatures drop lower than that a ceramic heat emitter that does not give off light can be used. Chameleons have a photoreceptive scale (parietal eye) on their head that senses light so even the blue and red bulbs disrupt sleep.

Fogger? Did you read the thread? lol :rolleyes: That's the last thing this Cham needs. :D

You are correct in one thing, we need to know the intended species to be more precise. With that being said, most Chams fit in the general range of 40-70%. Extended periods in high humidity may not be healthy.

Please people, do some research before stating falsehoods or half truths. I understand your trying to help, but misinformation can be worse than no information!
As you could see in the quote you posted I said I misread about the Humidity and thought it said it needed to be raised and then changed it and apologized for misreading so your post towards me was completely unnecessary considering i had already cleared it all up.

As you could see in the quote you posted I said I misread about the Humidity and thought it said it needed to be raised and then changed it and apologized for misreading so your post towards me was completely unnecessary considering i had already cleared it all up.

My comment was about you saying "all humidity naturally rises at night thats how it is in the wild so now I'm even failing to see an issue do to the fact having higher humidity at night is a good thing."

Although this may be true, your comment made it sound like it's a non-issue. It still can be. If you have an animal that by nature is only used to high humidity's in the 70% range and is developed over hundreds of years to thrive in that environment then place it in a humidity that is upwards of 90% humidity, it may be miserable! Look at it this way, your from San Antonio. The weather there does get cold from time to time, but it would be improper top say "people from San Antonio Texas can live normally in cold weather", then transplant you to the Antarctic to live with no extra clothing but what you would normally have in San Antonio and expect you be be healthy and happy. Don't give the OP a false sense of security. To much humidity is too much.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, I think it's safe to say that neither of us are experts. Unless one of us gets a PHD in Chameleon biology, we shouldn't speak in absolutes.

My last comment about doing research was not aimed at you. Forums are hard to to interpret peoples meanings aside from the written words. There are a lot of places to mistake a comment and lots of ways to do it. I did not intend to offend you.

I'm sorry I quoted you about the fogger. I didn't realize it was the same person from the post after it. I get small windows at work to look at the forum, so I read for content and not always the full story or link two posts together. That's my bad. :unsure:

Hopefully someone who breeds Chams or has much more experience will chime in set the record straight. I'd be interested to know what kind of long term affects high humidity will have on a Cham. In my honest opinion, if the OP can not resolve the humidity issue, if it will be an issue, he should probably consider a more suitable pet,like frogs.

My comment was about you saying "all humidity naturally rises at night thats how it is in the wild so now I'm even failing to see an issue do to the fact having higher humidity at night is a good thing."

Although this may be true, your comment made it sound like it's a non-issue. It still can be. If you have an animal that by nature is only used to high humidity's in the 70% range and is developed over hundreds of years to thrive in that environment then place it in a humidity that is upwards of 90% humidity, it may be miserable! Look at it this way, your from San Antonio. The weather there does get cold from time to time, but it would be improper top say "people from San Antonio Texas can live normally in cold weather", then transplant you to the Antarctic to live with no extra clothing but what you would normally have in San Antonio and expect you be be healthy and happy. Don't give the OP a false sense of security. To much humidity is too much.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, I think it's safe to say that neither of us are experts. Unless one of us gets a PHD in Chameleon biology, we shouldn't speak in absolutes.

My last comment about doing research was not aimed at you. Forums are hard to to interpret peoples meanings aside from the written words. There are a lot of places to mistake a comment and lots of ways to do it. I did not intend to offend you.

I'm sorry I quoted you about the fogger. I didn't realize it was the same person from the post after it. I get small windows at work to look at the forum, so I read for content and not always the full story or link two posts together. That's my bad. :unsure:

Hopefully someone who breeds Chams or has much more experience will chime in set the record straight. I'd be interested to know what kind of long term affects high humidity will have on a Cham. In my honest opinion, if the OP can not resolve the humidity issue, if it will be an issue, he should probably consider a more suitable pet,like frogs.
OK so i found the part where it says its a veiled so ya 90 is way too high for him. I would say 80% would be pushing it still. Honestly the best thing you could do is buy a screen cage. glass cages have their own issues first of all and are better used with chameleons that need high humidity levels.
I had commented and said too much humidity at night was bad and that even 80% may be pushing it for a veiled right before your post.

Constant high humidity in a cage with poor airflow (even exoterras have poor airflow compared to screens) can cause URI. Which can then lead to LRI or pneumonia. Eventually fungi/bacteria can develop in the lungs and cause serious issues. But this is the same for any animal that is kept too humid when it's cold and there is not enough airflow. LRI lead to death as do URI. Treating these conditions uses a lot of antibiotics which we all know chameleons do not do well with. It's just something that should not happen. High humidity is fine, AS LONG as there is airflow.

Constant high humidity in a cage with poor airflow (even exoterras have poor airflow compared to screens) can cause URI. Which can then lead to LRI or pneumonia. Eventually fungi/bacteria can develop in the lungs and cause serious issues. But this is the same for any animal that is kept too humid when it's cold and there is not enough airflow. LRI lead to death as do URI. Treating these conditions uses a lot of antibiotics which we all know chameleons do not do well with. It's just something that should not happen. High humidity is fine, AS LONG as there is airflow.

Is there a good way to determine air flow? Also as a matter of curiosity, do you think Chams feel discomfort with prolonged high humidity and heat? It's good news that high humidity with air flow is fine from a health perspective, but do Chams feel discomfort?

I know I can take a walk in the summer time, but I'd be miserable if it was 90 degrees and humid. I'd be happier with 90 degrees and low humidity. It's one thing to be concerned about a Chams health, but if they can feel discomfort, then as owners I believe we should also take this into account. :)

The thing is, it's humid and usually relatively warm where veileds are from. Everyone thinks they are from a desert, which they are from a desert area but the place they are likely to be found in dense populations is actually a forest in Yemen and that part is plagued by seasonal monsoons and some days there are strong winds. In my opinion as long as there is some air exchange (something pulling and pushing air in and out) glass cages can work fine with high heat and humidity. The problem is when the temps go down and there is high humidity, cold wet air is more likely to cause RI. But there is a lot we don't yet know about how chameleons are affected about captivity and artificial environments. Ryker has been blinded by artificial UVB lights that most chameleon keepers use 12 hours a day. He can't stand more than 2 hours a day anymore. So what does that mean for other parts of our husbandry?

Back
Top Bottom