Help! Clear worm/parasite found in fecal matter.

bobbydigital

Avid Member
So today I noticed what appeared to be a worm in Moe's poop. I took it outside and moved it with a stick and it started moving slowly. My vet is closed today and I'm going to call first thing in the morning. I am wondering if anyone knows what sort of parasite this is and how it developed. Also, What should I do in the mean time? Save the worm and fecal matter for the vet? Deep clean the cage? Any info and suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you!
- Robert

Attachments

• 20170319_131158.jpg
    20170319_131158.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 637
  • 20170319_131345.jpg
    20170319_131345.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 20170319_131354.jpg
    20170319_131354.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 362
See that wasnt so bad with Decadancin help on ur other thread.
Here is my suggestion....first thing first if Moe continues to poop with the worm , u will have to disinfect everything inside ur cage with diluted bleach n hot water since it can be lots tiny little eggs hiding in all kinds area including ur plants (throw them away since u cant bleach them at all) and like u said do
Save the worm and fecal matter for the vet
so ur vet can examine the poop n give the proper deworm medicine for ur Moe.
It will need several doses of the medication to get rid of them,since the adult worm is easy to kill but the cycle of the remaining worm eggs will need to be eliminated all to make sure they wont reinfest in ur cham after.
A total cage clean is a must before the worm or eggs find the host on ur cham later again.
u can also apply the vinegar on ur empty cage AFTER,since the vinegar will create an unsuitable living environment for the worm (strong acidity) and the worm usually prefer sugary environment to live,hope this help u a bit.

So should I hold off on cleaning the cage until I see him poop with another worm?
Its up to u if u for sure to know that the worm is coming from his poop then I will take down the whole enclosures since me n u both wont know for sure where are the worms came from but just to be safe since they can have hatch anywhere from the eggs and those poop can easiy carry tons of eggs and get transfer in the cage by the poop dropping.

So should I hold off on cleaning the cage until I see him poop with another worm?
The cage clean might needs repeat just like the vet giving meds since you will need to be 100% sure that there are completely no trace of the eggs n worms by ur vet with the fecal test,its a long process but it will be worth for the health of ur cham.

Will the small amount of fecal matter from today be enough and will it be able to be used for testing? He did a huge one yesterday but unfortunately I don't have it and he's only been going once every few days, so I felt I was lucky to see that today.

Will the small amount of fecal matter from today be enough and will it be able to be used for testing? He did a huge one yesterday but unfortunately I don't have it and he's only been going once every few days, so I felt I was lucky to see that today.
As long u put it in the seal bag n put it in the refridge not the freezer so it can stay fresh till ur vet to perform the fecal test asap.

So I picked up some panacur today and administered it orally. I'm supposed to give it every 2 weeks.

I was thinking about getting some reptaid, would it be too much to start giveing him that as well?

So I picked up some panacur today and administered it orally. I'm supposed to give it every 2 weeks.

I was thinking about getting some reptaid, would it be too much to start giveing him that as well?
Do the reptaid after,get him better then use the herp(reptaid) separately to recuperate his recovery

So today I noticed what appeared to be a worm in Moe's poop. I took it outside and moved it with a stick and it started moving slowly. My vet is closed today and I'm going to call first thing in the morning. I am wondering if anyone knows what sort of parasite this is and how it developed. Also, What should I do in the mean time? Save the worm and fecal matter for the vet? Deep clean the cage? Any info and suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you!
- Robert

Looks like a tape worm segment to me.

Put everything in the fridge in a clear plastic bag and take it to the vet when they open.

@bobbydigital One other thing, if it is a tape worm, it will encapsulate itself and end up looking like a grain of rice. Take it in even if it stops moving. I don't know what being in the fridge will do to a tape worm segment--it might slow it down so it doesn't encapsulate. I have no idea.

It looks too thick and short to be a round worm--pin worms are a kind of round worm. My feeling is that if it is a round worm that was as big in diameter as that worm is, it would be four to six inches long. Panacur will work on round worms (and pin worms) but will do nothing for a tape worm. A tape worm is a serious parasite infection and needs veterinary care. It is my understanding that there are all kinds of problems with killing a tape worm from the drugs to a blockage.

@bobbydigital One other thing, if it is a tape worm, it will encapsulate itself and end up looking like a grain of rice. Take it in even if it stops moving. I don't know what being in the fridge will do to a tape worm segment--it might slow it down so it doesn't encapsulate. I have no idea.

It looks too thick and short to be a round worm--pin worms are a kind of round worm. My feeling is that if it is a round worm that was as big in diameter as that worm is, it would be four to six inches long. Panacur will work on round worms (and pin worms) but will do nothing for a tape worm. A tape worm is a serious parasite infection and needs veterinary care. It is my understanding that there are all kinds of problems with killing a tape worm from the drugs to a blockage.
I don't want to cause trouble, but a tapeworm segment won't move like a worm will! It's just a segment of the adult tapeworm, when it's ingested by another animal, cow,pig, chicken, Chameleon or human the segment hatches inside the animal and the life cycle for the tapeworm starts again!

I don't want to cause trouble, but a tapeworm segment won't move like a worm will! It's just a segment of the adult tapeworm, when it's ingested by another animal, cow,pig, chicken, Chameleon or human the segment hatches inside the animal and the life cycle for the tapeworm starts again!

You are completely wrong. They most certainly look like a little fat pudgy worm and move like a worm. You are simply wrong.

Have you ever seen a tapeworm segment fresh out of an animal? I have.

You could easily have done a Google search before you gave wrong information. Here's a video of live tapeworm segments.

You are completely wrong. They most certainly look like a little fat pudgy worm and move like a worm. You are simply wrong.

Have you ever seen a tapeworm segment fresh out of an animal? I have.

You could easily have done a Google search before you gave wrong information. Here's a video of live tapeworm segments.

Yes you are right the definitely move. Work in a vets office and you will see that. Have you have seen a feral cat with tapeworms crawling out of its butt. Disgusting and they definitely move.

Most tapeworms require an intermediate host before they can infect the definitive host species. For instance Dipylidium caninum requires the tapeworm segment (proglotid) to be ingested by a flea before the dog or cat can reinfect itself by eating the flea. Roundworms can reinfected from fecal contamination.

Did the vet ID the worm and do a fecal?

No. I called and told them what I saw then they mailed me the dewormer. So I never brought it in. The worm was completely shriveled up and you couldn't really see it anymore a couple hours later.

I've seen tapeworm segments before, I have 5 cats and they have had em twice. Fresh out of the anus they move but then look like a grain of rice when dried up as another member stated. The fecal matter in the picture is about the size of my pinky nail. The worm was def bigger then any tapeworm I've seen and it was clear.

Back
Top Bottom