Help! Chameleon shed!

Lauren_andrade

Hi I’m very new to chameleons and I’ve had one for about two weeks now. He eats super well but these last 3 days he hasn’t ate anything. He seems to be going into shed but I’ve also never actually seen him drink water . I’m scared he may be dehydrated. Also I read shedding should only take 3 days ? It’s been longer now

Attachments

• 255D419D-7FE3-4B8E-BE66-C56F79E64F5C.jpeg
    255D419D-7FE3-4B8E-BE66-C56F79E64F5C.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 68
Hi there welcome to the forum. What kind of UVB lighting are you using? Is it the T5HO linear fixture? Can you post a pic of the entire enclosure? You will know when he sheds. It is very obvious. Shedding length depends on husbandry and age. When they are young and their husbandry is spot on they can shed within a few hours to a day. He may be getting ready to go into a shed and that could be why he is not eating but husbandry can also contribute to them not eating.

Welcome to the forum
Hi I’m very new to chameleons and I’ve had one for about two weeks now. He eats super well but these last 3 days he hasn’t ate anything. He seems to be going into shed but I’ve also never actually seen him drink water . I’m scared he may be dehydrated. Also I read shedding should only take 3 days ? It’s been longer now
If/when he's shedding, you'll know it.

1647015647622.png

There could be many reasons he's not eating. Have you tried the archives?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1690425/?q=veiled+not+eating&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

Are you sure it's a male, and how old? Any chance you have a gravid female (from your pic)?
Female chameleons don't need to be bred to lay infertile eggs.

Welcome to the forum

View attachment 321251
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1690425/?q=veiled+not+eating&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

Are you sure it's a male, and how old? Any chance you have a gravid female (from your pic)?
That is a young male Veiled chameleon. Not a female.

Hi there welcome to the forum. What kind of UVB lighting are you using? Is it the T5HO linear fixture? Can you post a pic of the entire enclosure? You will know when he sheds. It is very obvious. Shedding length depends on husbandry and age. When they are young and their husbandry is spot on they can shed within a few hours to a day. He may be getting ready to go into a shed and that could be why he is not eating but husbandry can also contribute to them not eating.

Attachments

• 5D3C6901-2661-4606-9C5C-09B404752F94.jpeg
    5D3C6901-2661-4606-9C5C-09B404752F94.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 58
I’m currently using this kit with live plants . I have pathos in there for hiding also . I’m super stressed out since this is now his 4th day of not eating.

Welcome to the forum

View attachment 321251

He is a male and he is still just a juvenile . He’s still very little. I’m waiting for his breeder to respond so I can get an age .

Ugg ok this is a pretty bad kit. So your uvb is not correct. Without the proper UVB bulb he is not getting the lighting needed to stimulate appetite along with other vital aspects.

You need a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 UVB bulb. Distance with this fixture from bottom of fixture to the highest branch would be 8-9 inches.
https://www.amazon.com/DBDPet-Repti...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

There could be additional issues. This cage in particular does not have the venting strips on the bottom to create the chimney effect needed to pull in clean air.

Start reading this every module. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

What enclosure do you use. He’s indoors in a room with a fan so I can’t keep a screened enclosure. It’s been 4-5 days now. I contacted the breeder about possibly giving him back since I don’t want him to die . Maybe I should ?

What enclosure do you use. He’s indoors in a room with a fan so I can’t keep a screened enclosure. It’s been 4-5 days now. I contacted the breeder about possibly giving him back since I don’t want him to die . Maybe I should ?
You can use screen with a fan... Everything in balance can work. You of course do not want a fan blasting on high above a cage but just because a fan is in the room does not mean you can't have the cham there. I have a hybrid enclosure because I live in a low humidity area.

What I will tell you... Your looking at about $500-1000 to set up a correct enclosure. These guys are really expensive.

Are you feeding the correct size feeders? If they are too large he will back off of them.

He does not look like he is on deaths door right now. If you want to keep him or need to because the breeder won't take him back you could get everything set up properly. First thing being the correct UVB lighting. Then working into getting a new enclosure set up properly.

You can use screen with a fan... Everything in balance can work. You of course do not want a fan blasting on high above a cage but just because a fan is in the room does not mean you can't have the cham there. I have a hybrid enclosure because I live in a low humidity area.

What I will tell you... Your looking at about $500-1000 to set up a correct enclosure. These guys are really expensive.

Are you feeding the correct size feeders? If they are too large he will back off of them.

He does not look like he is on deaths door right now. If you want to keep him or need to because the breeder won't take him back you could get everything set up properly. First thing being the correct UVB lighting. Then working into getting a new enclosure set up properly.

I’m aware they aren’t cheap,
I’ve spent a couple hundreds already but the screen enclosure is out of the question because it doesn’t hold heat and causes humidity into my own room . I already have fish tanks so I can’t do that . Ive looked into building a hybrid but I might just have to look into giving him back instead. He ate two super worms yesterday but that’s about it. I’m currently 7 months pregnant and lost my job so it’s definitely not something I can afford to do right now .

I’m aware they aren’t cheap,
I’ve spent a couple hundreds already but the screen enclosure is out of the question because it doesn’t hold heat and causes humidity into my own room . I already have fish tanks so I can’t do that . Ive looked into building a hybrid but I might just have to look into giving him back instead. He ate two super worms yesterday but that’s about it. I’m currently 7 months pregnant and lost my job so it’s definitely not something I can afford to do right now .
hmmmm well I never noticed much of a humidity increase in my room with a screen cage. Although ambient daytime humidity needed for Veileds is 40-50%. As far as holding heat it is more that you need heat in the basking spot otherwise you want airflow. Stagnant air is not healthy for them.

Honestly not sure that I would have taken on cham keeping when I was pregnant much less with a newborn. I know how exahsted I was and how expensive it was when I had my baby. So I totally understand.

Hopefully the breeder will take him back. I wish you lots of luck and congratulations on your baby.

Back
Top Bottom