Help! Chameleon not eating

Floofy

Hello I have had my baby chameleon for around a month now and she was doing fine until a couple of days ago when she stopped eating. now she only eats 1or 2 very small silk worms a day and refuses all other food. Play help as I am very concerned for her she is getting very skinny

Here is the help form to fill out.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Female veiled chameleon I'm guessing around 3 months old but I am not completely sure because the shop I got her from did not provide her age. She has been in my care for around 6 weeks
  • Handling - I have only handled her 2 times since I got her both after she stopped eating once to transport her to a travel enclosure and the second time to transfer her back to her normal cage. I do not think the stress from this is the cause of her not eating seeing as she stopped eating before I handled her for the first time.
  • Feeding - I have been feeding her small cricket's, small dubia roaches, and small silkworms a couple of days ago she did seem to accept cricket's but when I tried the next day she refused again. I ussualy put around 2 silk worms and 4 dubias in the morning I occasionaly feed her cricket's but some of them are small enouph to escape her screen enclosure, the cricket's eat potatoes or carrots, the silkworms eat silkworm chow which is basically ground up mullbery leaves but the ones I currently have just arrived and have been eating the food they were shipped with, the dubia roaches have been eating a roach diet that consists of multiple grains
  • Supplements - I currently use rep-cal calcium without d3 I gave her a multivitiman once
  • Watering - I hand mist at around 7:30 am and mist again at around 3 pm for about 3 min I also use a dripper around 3 times a day I have seen drink 2 times since I got her but I am in school so I probably miss it
  • Fecal Description - Her recent droppings have been white and brown/black
  • History - I do not know any previous information from the pet store

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - It is a 24x24x48 inch screen cage
  • Lighting - A 22 inch t5 arcadia 6% uvb bulb, a heat lamp, and a grow light for her plants the daily lighting schedule is 6:30 am - 6:30 pm
  • Temperature - I cannot check right now because her lamps are off for the night because it is 8:30 where I am but out of memory I believe it was around 85 last time I checked I measure these temps with a thermomitor
  • Humidity - I do not know the temparatures right now but I will check tomorrow I mist 2-3 times a day I measure these temparatures with what I believe is called a hygrometer
  • Plants - I am currently using a mixture of live and fake because I do not want to stress her out even more by adding more live plants until she starts eating. The live plants she currently has is a china doll and a golden pothos
  • Placement - Her cage is located in the dining room currently because we are having construction done in my room (we don't actually eat in the dining room so that was why we chose that spot) it is not near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas, the top of her cage is 4 feet from the floor because we have not had the chance to order a stand but will as soon as possible
  • Location - We live in Brooklyn, New York

Current Problem - Chameleon not eating

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Also I am aware that one cause for this may be dehydration and I am going to mist more and see if that helps

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Female veiled chameleon I'm guessing around 3 months old but I am not completely sure because the shop I got her from did not provide her age. She has been in my care for around 6 weeks
  • Handling - I have only handled her 2 times since I got her both after she stopped eating once to transport her to a travel enclosure and the second time to transfer her back to her normal cage. I do not think the stress from this is the cause of her not eating seeing as she stopped eating before I handled her for the first time.
  • Feeding - I have been feeding her small cricket's, small dubia roaches, and small silkworms a couple of days ago she did seem to accept cricket's but when I tried the next day she refused again. I ussualy put around 2 silk worms and 4 dubias in the morning I occasionaly feed her cricket's but some of them are small enouph to escape her screen enclosure, the cricket's eat potatoes or carrots, the silkworms eat silkworm chow which is basically ground up mullbery leaves but the ones I currently have just arrived and have been eating the food they were shipped with, the dubia roaches have been eating a roach diet that consists of multiple grains
  • Supplements - I currently use rep-cal calcium without d3 I gave her a multivitiman once
  • Watering - I hand mist at around 7:30 am and mist again at around 3 pm for about 3 min I also use a dripper around 3 times a day I have seen drink 2 times since I got her but I am in school so I probably miss it
  • Fecal Description - Her recent droppings have been white and brown/black
  • History - I do not know any previous information from the pet store

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - It is a 24x24x48 inch screen cage
  • Lighting - A 22 inch t5 arcadia 6% uvb bulb, a heat lamp, and a grow light for her plants the daily lighting schedule is 6:30 am - 6:30 pm
  • Temperature - I cannot check right now because her lamps are off for the night because it is 8:30 where I am but out of memory I believe it was around 85 last time I checked I measure these temps with a thermomitor
  • Humidity - I do not know the temparatures right now but I will check tomorrow I mist 2-3 times a day I measure these temparatures with what I believe is called a hygrometer
  • Plants - I am currently using a mixture of live and fake because I do not want to stress her out even more by adding more live plants until she starts eating. The live plants she currently has is a china doll and a golden pothos
  • Placement - Her cage is located in the dining room currently because we are having construction done in my room (we don't actually eat in the dining room so that was why we chose that spot) it is not near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas, the top of her cage is 4 feet from the floor because we have not had the chance to order a stand but will as soon as possible
  • Location - We live in Brooklyn, New York

Current Problem - Chameleon not eating

--------------

Please Note:

1. Are you using Sweet Potato or normal Potato?
2. Feed the dubia fruits and vegetables, they’re one of the few bugs that hold all the nutrients from the veggies
3. 85 is way to hot for a female....bring it down to 78-80
4. What kind of supplements are you using ( attach pic)?
5. Live plants are always amazing, be careful with fake plants, veileds eat them

Attach pictures of supplements and enclosure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom