Help! Cannot feed pygmy for 2 days!!

i have not been able to meet with my feeder guy for the last two days. the weather has been very bad today and i have also ran into car problems today. i've contacted my local pet shops but A) one is closed because of weather, and B) the other shops are too big, and so are his meal worms.

Guys my pygmy is about 3ish months old, is 2 days without food alright if he is plenty hydrated?

I imagine they will be fine, but you really need to be careful with babies. Adults would truly be no issue for 4-5 days, but babies need to eat.

I imagine they will be fine, but you really need to be careful with babies. Adults would truly be no issue for 4-5 days, but babies need to eat.

i know, that's what makes me really nervous right now. i was wondering if i could mix up a little Repashy and dab a little bit on his lips. seeing as i herptivite most of his feedings, the vitamins in it should be fine. there is a small amount of prEformed A and a small amount of D3, but i haven't given him his D3 suppliment yet

you think this could tie him over?

i know, that's what makes me really nervous right now. i was wondering if i could mix up a little Repashy and dab a little bit on his lips. seeing as i herptivite most of his feedings, the vitamins in it should be fine. there is a small amount of prEformed A and a small amount of D3, but i haven't given him his D3 suppliment yet

you think this could tie him over?

I wouldn't-sugar content is a little high in GCD-also you should not even be giving vitamins to a pyg that young-every feeding is way too much. You won't have a pyg for long if you keep doing that.

i switch up herptivite to plain calcium at every feeding. ive read on here a few times before that herptivite is used more with pymgys, without UVB lighting. if that information is false, which i would believe more so to be true seeing as most on the thread agreed with this. i forget which thread it was, i never saved it. but if i havent been doing this for too too long. i would stop and change to something better.

I have a few pretty small crickets on me, too small for me my guy won't even acknowledge them.

i switch up herptivite to plain calcium at every feeding. ive read on here a few times before that herptivite is used more with pymgys, without UVB lighting. if that information is false, which i would believe more so to be true seeing as most on the thread agreed with this. i forget which thread it was, i never saved it. but if i havent been doing this for too too long. i would stop and change to something better.

Herptivite is a multivite-and on adult pygs I would use it about once a month. At this age I would use calcium no D3 2 times a week and lightly at that. Can you point me to this thread? On a common sense level-if most people say to use a multivite once a month on larger chameleons like panthers, why would it make sense to use it more on a tiny animal that is exposed to less UVB in the wild?

Herptivite is a multivite-and on adult pygs I would use it about once a month. At this age I would use calcium no D3 2 times a week and lightly at that. Can you point me to this thread? On a common sense level-if most people say to use a multivite once a month on larger chameleons like panthers, why would it make sense to use it more on a tiny animal that is exposed to less UVB in the wild?

your right julirs. and luckily this hasnt been going on for long at all, a week and a halfish, and as said wasnt used at every feeding, but still more then i should be using. but this is the thread http://youtu.be/lP8RClFlaYo

i've just been trying to get in balance with supplimenting my other nocturnal herps and amphibians, that i've been basing the pygmy slightly on that schedual. i will change right away.

your right julirs. and luckily this hasnt been going on for long at all, a week and a halfish, and as said wasnt used at every feeding, but still more then i should be using. but this is the thread http://youtu.be/lP8RClFlaYo

i've just been trying to get in balance with supplimenting my other nocturnal herps and amphibians, that i've been basing the pygmy slightly on that schedual. i will change right away.

That link takes me to something about funny videos feauturing "waxing men"???

I'm not going to nag you, but I always keep fruit fly cultures for that very reason. I have a fair amount of choices for my "bigger" cham, but there aren't a lot of options for the pygs. Having said that, I've ended up crashing my cultures, and having little around to feed them, but there are always some left in the enclosure over the span of a few days. FFs make a great back up for babies and adults.

Absolutely NO problem. As long as reptiles are cold blooded some degrees down reduce their metabolism enough to solve this problem. Water supply must be guaranteed but thats it.
But even this is just needed with sick or very young chameleons. Semiadult-adult animals can thrive for weeks without food !

Absolutely NO problem. As long as reptiles are cold blooded some degrees down reduce their metabolism enough to solve this problem. Water supply must be guaranteed but thats it.
But even this is just needed with sick or very young chameleons. Semiadult-adult animals can thrive for weeks without food !

Never thought of lowering temps a bit. Do the pygmies have quicker metabolisms because of their size, or does that not matter in a situation like this?

Never thought of lowering temps a bit. Do the pygmies have quicker metabolisms because of their size, or does that not matter in a situation like this?

Cant answer this exactly. But when you think about their microhabitats without much sun I think its normal for them to slow down a few days from time to time when theres bad weather/low temps in their area

That link takes me to something about funny videos feauturing "waxing men"???
LOL well.. it seems like shoveling two driveways in this terrible weather and working have gotten to me today. https://www.chameleonforums.com/pygmy-supplements-52318/ heres the right link

I'm not going to nag you, but I always keep fruit fly cultures for that very reason. I have a fair amount of choices for my "bigger" cham, but there aren't a lot of options for the pygs. Having said that, I've ended up crashing my cultures, and having little around to feed them, but there are always some left in the enclosure over the span of a few days. FFs make a great back up for babies and adults.
that is what i've been trying to do. i was going to get 50 1/4'' crickets and 100 1/8'' crickets to grow while i got rid of the 1/4''. my second backup was getting a couple meal worms for today, but no mini mealworms are around. hes much too big for fruitflies now, hes been off FFs and PHs for a while now.

thank you benny. this a great tip and actually thought about this once or twice throughout the day.

this is the first time i've ever been short on supply, and having car problems and this nasty weather doesnt help. i'll be heading out in the next couple hours to canadianfeeders to stock up. PRAY FOR MY SAFE TRAVELS and that i dont get stuck on the way.

On a common sense level-if most people say to use a multivite once a month on larger chameleons like panthers, why would it make sense to use it more on a tiny animal that is exposed to less UVB in the wild?

Agreed. I probably wouldnt use it at all for pygs just like I dont with my montanes, just a well balanced gut load. As was said, if your guy has been fed good for sometime 2 days will not hurt it. Just keep it well hydrated.

that is what i've been trying to do. i was going to get 50 1/4'' crickets and 100 1/8'' crickets to grow while i got rid of the 1/4''. my second backup was getting a couple meal worms for today, but no mini mealworms are around. hes much too big for fruitflies now, hes been off FFs and PHs for a while now.

My adult pygs (brevs) eat ffs all the time -- they're a regular part of their feeding. Were you talking about pygmies? Maybe I missed something.

Cant answer this exactly. But when you think about their microhabitats without much sun I think its normal for them to slow down a few days from time to time when theres bad weather/low temps in their area

Makes sense. I'll have to keep this in mind. Thanks.

members thank you for all of the extra input on this thread, i know that myself and many more can benifit much from it, Benny i would like to thank you for all the added information about the lowered temperatures, and logical theory about their metabolism in the wild.

Lisa, i am going to grab a culture of FF as soon as i can. my pygmy hunts for his food in a think planted terrarium. would FFs be fine and able to hunt?

Juli, Lisa and Benny, thank you for the information on this thread!

I second your "thank you" to the members. There was a lot of great info on this topic.

My terrarium is very thickly planted as well, and my pygs find the ffs just fine. They get everything from those to pinhead size crickets up to 1/4" crix. My feeders are usually on the small size because I sometimes have babies and juvies in with the adults, and smaller size feeders can be eaten by everyone.

Good luck with your crappy Ontario weather -- winter will be over soon!

Back
Top Bottom