HELP ASAP PLEASE

Emilyautumn24

My female veiled chameleon usually is at the top of her large screen enclosure but for the last week or so she’s been sitting at the bottom of her cage. At first I though it was her trying to blend in but then I realized she’s been sleeping down there. She looks very light green, she usually doesn’t like when I handle her but when I picked her up to see if she was okay she just fell asleep in my hand. She was holding on to her branch basking and sleeping then she just left go with one hand and fell off. She never sleeps this much and It’s really worrying me. Someone please help?

My female veiled chameleon usually is at the top of her large screen enclosure but for the last week or so she’s been sitting at the bottom of her cage. At first I though it was her trying to blend in but then I realized she’s been sleeping down there. She looks very light green, she usually doesn’t like when I handle her but when I picked her up to see if she was okay she just fell asleep in my hand. She was holding on to her branch basking and sleeping then she just left go with one hand and fell off. She never sleeps this much and It’s really worrying me. Someone please help?

Make a vet appointment and in the meantime fill out the attached form and add photos.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

She’s around a year old now, I rescued her about 9 months back. I have not set up laying bin, I just recently found about about the egg binding so I’m really hoping that’s it. Her breaths are very shallow as well.
Pictures please. Do you have a laying bin setup for her? Sounds like warning signs off egg binding.

Attachments

• C21B042A-41FF-4751-A5A9-8824B3B5818A.jpeg
    C21B042A-41FF-4751-A5A9-8824B3B5818A.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 136
Is it for sure her eggs? I also read sleeping during the day could be stressed? I’m kinda freaking out but I’m definitely calling the vet first thing in the morning.

I cant tell you. Every vet is different. I can tell you that just keeping a chameleon is very expensive. She does not look good and sleeping with the lights on is not good. Do you dust her feeders with supplements? What does she eat?

She looks young?
I do, I feed her around 7-8 crickets and I do dust them with calcium. But ever since she’s been acting strange she also hasn’t been eating as much. The crickets I got today she showed zero interest in, she just kept sleeping.

Is it for sure her eggs? I also read sleeping during the day could be stressed? I’m kinda freaking out but I’m definitely calling the vet first thing in the morning.

She definitely appears to be gravid (pregnant). Has she had a lot of stress lately? Stress combined with no spot to lay eggs can both contribute to egg binding

I do, I feed her around 7-8 crickets and I do dust them with calcium. But ever since she’s been acting strange she also hasn’t been eating as much. The crickets I got today she showed zero interest in, she just kept sleeping.

Calcium with or without d3? Do you use a multivitamin? What type of lights do you have? It would be easier if you copy and paste the form and fill in your answers.

Make a vet appointment and in the meantime fill out the attached form and add photos.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
A females veiled chameleon, she’s about a year old and she was placed in my care about 9 months ago, she is handled about 3 times a week. I’m feeding her crickets and meal worms- occasionally a horn worm. I use repti calcium. I mist her around 4-5 times a day for around 5 mins. I do see her drinking, and we do have a dripper. She has a screen cage currently no real plants. Her temp is usually around 72-75 and her humidity is 45-50%.

See my feedback in red

A females veiled chameleon, she’s about a year old and she was placed in my care about 9 months ago, she is handled about 3 times a week. I’m feeding her crickets and meal worms- occasionally a horn worm.

Cut out the meal worms they have no real nutritional value. What are you gutloading the crickets with?

I use repti calcium. Calcium with or without d3? Do you use a multivitamin? What type of lights do you have?

I mist her around 4-5 times a day for around 5 mins. I do see her drinking, and we do have a dripper. She has a screen cage currently no real plants.

what size is her cage? An adult veiled should have a minimum of a 24x24x48” cage. Live plants help with humidity and veiled also eat them.

Her temp is usually around 72-75 what’s the basking temp? Should be around 85

and her humidity is 45-50%.

Did you put the lay bin in yet? She's going to die if you don't do something to help her like yesterday!
If the bin was in there now with a hole dug in it for her to go into to lay her eggs she might lay them... If she shows no egglaying activity by morning then you need to get her to a vet before she becomes too weak to be helped...if she isn't already. This IMHO is an emergency.

Your husbandry issues can be dealt with after/if this crisis is resolved.

That’s an egg bound Cham, no getting around a trip to the vet.

@Emilyautumn24 where do you live? We can help you find a Cham vet. We’ve got lots of keepers here eager to help you but you’ve got to give us a complete help form.
I live in Lee’s summit Missouri. She is not doing good at all. Her limbs are weak and she is very weak and won’t eat. I laid the bin and I’m hoping she goes to it. I’m searching for the best vet. I would really appreciate the help

Back
Top Bottom