help a new cham owner - Maryland avians and exotic veterinary care?

Hi all, we just got a baby panther from a breeder on Morph market. Breeder said he's 3 mos old but he's so tiny I'm half scared to death. Looking for a vet in my area for an initial check-up and to have one just in case. Used the resources on Cham Forums and 2 of them reference Lisa Carr with Maryland avian and exotics vet care. Cool, cool. But then I go to see business reviews and I cringe. The're bad. Another practice I found through a Google search (neighborhood veterinary associates, Clarksburg, MD) has awesome reviews, overall, but not about reptile care specifically. I don;t know what to do. We recently lost a different pet so my anxiety levels are off the chart. What are your thoughts on selecting a vet given the choices above?

I'll take some pics in his cage. Took him out this morning to weigh him (2 grams, TWO) but didn;t think of taking pictures and I'm not comfortable taking him out again. He's a fast little bugger, the enclosure has tons of small branches, difficult to navigate so for him it's probably like the apocalypse has come when I stick my hand in and try to get in front of him.

20220709_133740.jpg
20220709_133404.jpg
20220709_133501.jpg

Dr. Stahl is one of the best in the US if not the world. Keepers from everywhere drive to see him. He may be a little drive but he is worth it.

Stahl Exotic Animal Veterinary Services
4105 Rust Rd.
Fairfax VA.22030
703 281 3750

For sure a little one. So make sure your feeding tons of tiny feeders..

What is your temp below the basking? I would lift that fixture up off the cage in case baby screen climbs the top. You do not want it hotter than 75-80 max for one that small.

Tell me about your UVB what type of fixture and bulb strength? What is your distance bottom of fixture to the screen and then screen to the branches?

For sure a little one. So make sure your feeding tons of tiny feeders..

What is your temp below the basking? I would lift that fixture up off the cage in case baby screen climbs the top. You do not want it hotter than 75-80 max for one that small.

Tell me about your UVB what type of fixture and bulb strength? What is your distance bottom of fixture to the screen and then screen to the branches?
I was thinking about lifting the heat bulb fixture as well. Below basking temp is 73. Basking is 85-90. UVB is Reptisun T5 5.0. 3 inches fixture to screen, 5 inches screen to branch.

I was thinking about lifting the heat bulb fixture as well. Below basking temp is 73. Basking is 85-90. UVB is Reptisun T5 5.0. 3 inches fixture to screen, 5 inches screen to branch.
Ok so basking has to be lifted. Baby is going to dehydrate with basking temps that hot. Even an adult male should only be kept 80-85.

With the T5HO fixture... That will be good. This will keep baby out of dangerously high UVI levels on the screen and at an approximate 3 UVI at the branch which is what you want.

This site will help you a lot https://chameleonacademy.com/
And if you go to the podcast page he has done some episodes on babies as well.

Dr. Stahl is the only vet that has ever been recommended to me. However being in western Maryland has been difficult to get there. There is a place in Westminster called Feathers,Scales and tales who I’ve used for a rescue I had. Dr. Paul was knowledgeable about Panther Chameleons. He actually quizzed me on care which made me feel comfortable. He was just making sure I had the right answers. I also found their pricing to be very reasonable.
Dr. Stahl would be my first choice, but if you need an alternative, there you go.

Back
Top Bottom