Hello Just got a pair of Chams had a few questions

This will be my last post on the forums just an update,

Despite numerous attempts to convince my friend to let me keep the male and daily visits to her house the male chameleon has died.

She is still convinced it wasnt her fault. She told me she believed he died because he was seperated from the female and missed her or that he got a bacterial infection.

The female is doing ok she is looking for a place to lay as we speak I put about a foot of bedding in her enclosure. She is eating and drinking.

Im so sorry guys no matter how hard you try or you want to sometimes reptiles end up in the wrong hands of owners who could care less it kills me to think that I sent that male off too death when she picked him up. Im so sorry Im I cant bare it. If the female does lay eggs I will not hatch them because my friend will demand half and I will not allow that. Please forgive me and know that I tried and will continue to try with this female

God Bless

Laura

I'm so sorry to hear about the male...I was in a similar situation when I worked for a vet. We had a newborn kitten that the mother had no milk for; we took turns taking the baby home, to feed it every hour. When the owner finally took it home, she couldn't be bothered to wake up to feed it ("I have to go to work!") and it died. I wanted to kill!

I hope the female lays OK; you've checked out all the breeding forum stuff, right? Maybe you can tell your "friend" that the eggs/babies are all claimed, or maybe someone else can take them? Does anyone else know if they'll ship OK?

It would be a great shame to not have these captive bred offspring of delipis, as delipis are very commonly imported as wild caught, each new set of captive bred clutches are important to the captive population needed to sustain and slow the import of wild caught specimens. Laura, I strongly urge you not to dispose of the eggs, to put efforts into hatching them, continuing to participate on this forum and make strong relationships.

If your friend demands half, then is she someone you want as a friend? The issue would be different if she had not been the cause of demise for the chameleon she took. By being responsible for its death, she has in my opinion, and others here will support this, forfeited her claims on the potential resulting offspring. If the male she took was still in good health when the babies hatch, then plans would be as according.

Another point to be raised, you will not hatch them because your friend will demand half- and you do this because you are sure they will all die I assume. But you are not even letting them have the chance. If you cannot face your 'friend' and tell her that she deserves none of the eggs, give her half of the eggs once laid, and incubate the others yourself. Through her lack of attention and carelessness, the eggs should surely not survive anyways, and you would have the upper hand.

By giving the eggs to her upfront, you are not entitled to give her half of what you hatch.

Ok guys

The female has laid this morning. She was up on the branch drinking so I removed the eggs. I didnt count them yet though Looks to be about 20. She went back to the bottom though could she have more.

A local shoparound here breeds chameleons. I know they guys very well. They said they will take the eggs and incubate them for me. I only asked for some of the babies in return. My friend doesn't even have to know about it.

I will post more later when I get back from school

Glad to hear that you decided to give the eggs a chance!

Hopefully the female is done laying them. What did she do when she went back down to the bottom?

Back
Top Bottom