Hello, I'm new here.

Haze367

Hello,
I have been looking and reading around here for just over a month now. I'm currently setting up a Medium size Dragon Strand Breeder Cage for a chameleon I plan on getting next weekend at the Pomona Reptile Show. (Going to pick up a Kammerflage Cham) I really love all the info and ideas i have gotten from here so far! So much to learn. I just wish i was more creative to attempt some of these things i see.
Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and say "Hi".

Happy New Year Everyone!

Welcome to the forums! I have a dragonstrand breeder cage and kammerflage kreation panther as well! The enclosure is badass to say the least and the Kammers are some of the best in the business. There are a ton of threads with photos of everyone's set-up, make sure to start your own once you pick the guy up.

Hello,
I have been looking and reading around here for just over a month now. I'm currently setting up a Medium size Dragon Strand Breeder Cage for a chameleon I plan on getting next weekend at the Pomona Reptile Show. (Going to pick up a Kammerflage Cham) I really love all the info and ideas i have gotten from here so far! So much to learn. I just wish i was more creative to attempt some of these things i see.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Happy New Year!!! There is a ton of good info on these forums, so just absorb all of the info you can!
Happy Chameleon Keeping!!! :):p:D:p:D:)

Hello,

Happy New Year Everyone!
It is only fair to warn you that you will need another enclosure for your next chameleon when you fall for the "Chameleon Effect"!!! Happy Chameleon Keeping, and Happy New Year!!! :):p:D:p:D:)!

Welcome to the forum and soon to the world of chameleons!
Do you know about supplementing, feeding/gutloading insects, proper UVB and basking temperature?
i still need to read more on supplements, feeding / gutloading. i have read all the basics of it but today and next couple days will be for these things. i will need to figure out what i want to do and what to keep all the different feeders in or if i want to try my hand at breeding certain feeders to help keep monthly food cost down abit. I am aware of the UVB and basking temps. i have the cage currently running now to see daily and nightly temps and humidity, minus the auto misting system (waiting until the show to hopefully grab one). in the mean time just hand misting twice a day for approx. 1 min. but with these stupid meters i have there is a 10-20% variance im not sure what is correct. either way i cant keep the humidity up past 40% as of now.

Oh yeah I see that. Looks very nice! Lucky cham you have there. Happy new year and good luck!
Thanks, Happy New Year. i cant wait to get my little guy.

It is only fair to warn you that you will need another enclosure for your next chameleon when you fall for the "Chameleon Effect"!!! Happy Chameleon Keeping, and Happy New Year!!! :):p:D:p:D:)!
I'm sure that might become the problem. lol Happy New Year!

The enclosure looks great! Locale would depend on the colors you like.
Happy Chameleon Keeping, and
Happy New Year!!! :):p:D:p:D:)
Thanks. yeah, i'm really unsure and torn on which coloring i would like. they're all so beautiful. i'm leaning toward more reddish although i like the blues also. lol Are any Locales known to be more docile? i been reading it really is dependent on the individual cham itself. but i also read that Panthers are more docile then other species of chams. so was thinking maybe certain locales could vary in such a way!?

i still need to read more on supplements, feeding / gutloading. i have read all the basics of it but today and next couple days will be for these things. i will need to figure out what i want to do and what to keep all the different feeders in or if i want to try my hand at breeding certain feeders to help keep monthly food cost down abit. I am aware of the UVB and basking temps. i have the cage currently running now to see daily and nightly temps and humidity, minus the auto misting system (waiting until the show to hopefully grab one). in the mean time just hand misting twice a day for approx. 1 min. but with these stupid meters i have there is a 10-20% variance im not sure what is correct. either way i cant keep the humidity up past 40% as of now.

As I mentioned in your ( I think it was yours anyway lol) other thread, go to Wal-Mart and grab one of the accurite temp/ hygrometer combos. I don't leave mine in for extended periods of time but I do have a couple places in my cages that stay dry enough during misting if I want to spot check. Compare that to your digital zoomed one and you'll have a good idea on where you sit afterwards. Then keep the accurate in the same room for ambient room readings.

Thanks, Happy New Year. i cant wait to get my little guy.

Happy New Year. It's a blast watching and learning your chams personality once you get them

I'm sure that might become the problem. lol.

It's a good problem to have if you have the space lol. I went from one to four (temporarily 5) in a month and a half with plans for at least 2 more as the females become available. There is also a wish list I have going with my wife of three other species besides the panthers we have/ plan on having :eek:.

Thanks. yeah, i'm really unsure and torn on which coloring i would like. they're all so beautiful. i'm leaning toward more reddish although i like the blues also. lol Are any Locales known to be more docile? i been reading it really is dependent on the individual cham itself. but i also read that Panthers are more docile then other species of chams. so was thinking maybe certain locales could vary in such a way!?

It is pretty much up to the cham on personality there lol. Though personally, I think part of it depends on the breeder they are coming from. Blue Lightning, nosy be, (came from @Matt Vanilla Gorilla), Ares and Athena, ambilobe, (came from @eric thompson) and all three are about as docile as I could ever expect them to be. I got Blue already in his teen attitude stage so it was a quick learning curve for me with him lol. He was everything Matt promised me he would be. As we got to know each other at first he seemed like he was going to be a mommy's boy preferring my wife over me. For the last month though he's been a daddy's boy preferring to hang out on me over my wife lol.

Ares and Athena are still young and I've had them since 12-5. Both tolerate handling though Ares is a bit more skiddish then Athena still. Athena will take crickets, silks and bsf off my hand. Ares wont hand feed yet, he watches me put food in then hunts it down instead lol. Both will come out and hang out with us while we watch tv though. I haven't had a chance to get them out in the sun with the "cooler" temps we've been having. I suspect that is why Blue prefers me now is because I'm typically the one that took him outside when the weather permitted. How ever to contrast the three, Blue and Ares will "perv" out on their perches and watch us watching them where as Athena doesn't do that 99% of the time lol.

Wit Donder and "Peanut Pot", nosy be, came from a local breeder that breeds geckos, beardies, chams and hedgehogs. I've had them since 12-16 so really not that long. I'm having to take my time with them and stick to the "norm" as far as handling them. They definitely weren't used to being handled at all. They are starting to come around and just this past weekend Wit Donder took a bsf and some crickets off my hand. It won't be the end of the world if she ends being a watch her do her thing if that's what she wants but something you should prepare for if the one you pick out ends up being that way. I liked the look of their sire and they are healthy so I'm ok with it. So these two females are the reason I said I think part of it depends on the breeder they come from.

As far as your red and blue, a nosy be male with red rain, ambilobe male or possibly a tamatave male would fill both colors. It would be a guessing game until they started showing colors of course though unless you bought one already starting to color up. Last I saw @NHenn (Canvas Chameleons) had some ybbb ambilobe babies for sale. I think the sire was Hiccup (?) but he would have to verify that and availability. He's been pleasant with me on fb messenger on a couple of questions I had regarding his nosy be availability and ordering a enclosure through them. Sadly for me, he only has eggs atm and I found a deal on 4 reptibreeze xl so it didn't go any further then that yet though lol. I'm semi stalking his availability looking for one of his nosy be females to hatch and become available at some point :D. I don't know if @eric thompson (chameleons101) has any left from the two clutches I got mine from but they have ybbb and a purple bar sires if he does. I don't know if @Matt Vanilla Gorilla has any currently as I'm looking for two specific females from him lol.

Ended up longer winded then I intended so I apologize for that :(.

Since you don't plan on breeding, maybe consider a locale cross? The Kammers have several breeders (my guy is a son of Tormund Giantsbane). Each shed is a different story, my guy has changed so much since I got him at 4 months old.

@Haze367 said...."i still need to read more on supplements, feeding / gutloading. i have read all the basics of it but today and next couple days will be for these things"...if you do a search on this forum you will find lots of good information on both.

You said.... "i will need to figure out what i want to do and what to keep all the different feeders in or if i want to try my hand at breeding certain feeders to help keep monthly food cost down abit".... there's lots of good information on this site about all of this too.

You said..."I am aware of the UVB and basking temps."...sounds like you'll be well prepared!

You said..."i have the cage currently running now to see daily and nightly temps and humidity"..., good plan!

You said..."just hand misting twice a day for approx. 1 min."...you should run a dripper during the day too IMHO.

Haha, I suppose but I enjoy my littles though so it's not that bad. My wife enjoys them enough that she has decided after our fur babies pass away she wants nothing but chams in the house now if that tells you anything lol.
i had recently put my 2 fur babies to sleep this last year (aug 16yr old dog & oct 19yr old cat).

Since you don't plan on breeding, maybe consider a locale cross? The Kammers have several breeders (my guy is a son of Tormund Giantsbane). Each shed is a different story, my guy has changed so much since I got him at 4 months old.
The Kammers is definitely who i choose to go with! Always great reviews!

i have BIG dripper i will hook that up tonight and see how it does. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom