Hello, help deciding on a chameleon

OldDeadeye

Hello, my name is Patrick and When I was younger I had 3 different types of chameleons; Panther, Jacksons, and a Veiled. I would like to get one now that I am older.

I wanted to get a panther but they are very expensive now days. I was considering a carpet chameleon. Right now the local reptile shop can not get veiled chameleons. Whatever I decide to get has to be ordered in so I don't get to see it first.

So, I wasn't sure if certain types of chameleons do better in captivity than others and what I should get?

I had a couple other questions also;

Is the cage carpet safe for chameleons or should I just leave it out?

Do I need to put a plant in there or can I use just fake branches and leaves?

Should I use RODI water for them or use tap with conditioner?

I have no problem feeding live food, but I was wondering if those canned crickets and other things would also work on one of those vibrating dishes?

Thanks.

You said..."I wasn't sure if certain types of chameleons do better in captivity than others and what I should get?"...some are easier to keep healthy in captivity. The usual ones recommended are the veiled and the panther. Carpets are a little harder and generally don't live as long.

You asked..."Is the cage carpet safe for chameleons or should I just leave it out?"...IMHO its hard to keep clean and bacteria free...so I never use it....in fact for most chameleons I don't use any substrate.

You asked..."Do I need to put a plant in there or can I use just fake branches and leaves?"...I use real non-toxic well-washed plants in mine. Some people use fake branches/leaves and have no trouble with it though.

You asked..."Should I use RODI water for them or use tap with conditioner?"...I have used tap water that I leave out overnight so that the chlorine dissipates for years and have had no problem. I don't like to use most treated waters because they are missing the minerals.

You asked..."I have no problem feeding live food, but I was wondering if those canned crickets and other things would also work on one of those vibrating dishes?"...I only ever use live insects.

Thanks for the information. I think I decided on the carpet chameleon and depending how I do with that one, I will get a panther later on. I think everything will be fine, I have kept a great number of exotic reptiles in the past and a number of difficult to care for marine animals.

Thanks again.

Just a thought...

If the pet store has to order it special why can't they get a veiled? The market is flooded with them. You will find way more information specifically on veilds than on any other species. Why not order one yourself directly from a breeder. You will be able to get whatever kind of cham you want and see pics of it first. Good breeders will also give you any advice you need, while pet stores, even ones knolegable in reptiles, generally know nothing about chameleons. It's good you are on the forums and researching, since chameleon husbandry has come a long way in the last few years.

He showed me the list of reptiles he can get and no veileds were on it. The carpet chameleons were all gone too. I think I will just go ahead and get a panther, he was able to show me some pictures from a breeder of some. But since I am still looking, do you know of any good websites that have and show veiled chameleons for sale?

I also went out and got a larger fresh air habitat, I have 2 heat lamps, 1-150watt daytime, 1-60watt ceramic for night, and a 18'' reptisun 5.0, but I think I might get another reptisun 5.0 bulb and fixture to cover more of the cage. I have been having trouble with temperature, it seems to be awfully cold in my house, but I am working on it before I get a chameleon. I will have a dripper soon that I had to order and the vitamines, herptivite and the calcium with D3. I have some fake leaves and branches but was going to look for one of those ficus plants, can you get pretty small ficus trees? I don't know what will fit in my cage, it is the 30x30x18 cage.

Is there anything else I need?

Back
Top Bottom