Hello everyone...Could Use expert Opinion

collinbluffs

Hello everyone, I'm new here to the forum. I've had my Panther Chameleon "Cliff" for about 6 months now and he's doing fabulous! Only thing is, I'm not positive on the Locale of my Panther. I'm thinking he's an Ambanja, but I could be wrong. Can anyone help me out? My avatar is a closeup of his face when fired up, looking at my little baby female...lol...

Here are a few picture of him while fired up.

Attachments

• Cliff.JPG
    Cliff.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Cliff Fired Up.JPG
    Cliff Fired Up.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Cliff on fence.JPG
    Cliff on fence.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 159
Hey Collin,
I can't be 100% positive what locale your panther is. He is still young, but he does look like a sambava to me, i am not sure. Here is a link to Prism Chameleon's breeder page. It is pretty detailed on the description on each locale.

http://www.prismchameleons.com/Breeders.html

I took a look at the site and I think you are right. The Sambava's head colourations match cliff the most, especially on the crown. I appreciate your reply and your link.
How long should I expect Cliff to take to earn his full colourings? He's nourished properly and an awesome husbandry.

yeah an ambanja would probably being showing more of a yellow then a white in the lip area and I think they all get that distinctive Y in their barring, which yours seems to have but it looks split into two pieces sort of, my first guess was also sambava from the red/oranges, green and white we see on him

you'll know for sure when he's full grown I guess, generally they say at about 1.5 years old they're pretty much finalized in the color department from what I've read

i have a ambanja at the same age and he looks nothing like that he has yellow lips and his greens are constricted to the bars

Hello Colin, where are you from? Where was the chameleon from?

Posting photos of him while calm, sleeping, in front of a mirror may reveal more clues.

Judging from the way Collin spell "color" as "colour" and started this thread like 4 in the morning (eastern US time). I am thinking UK.

Hello Colin, where are you from? Where was the chameleon from?

Posting photos of him while calm, sleeping, in front of a mirror may reveal more clues.

Hello Will. When he is sleeping in a totally calm state, he is a super pastal orange colour. The picture that I posted of him on the fence was a totally different day and hadn't been fired up from the little female.
I'm in Ontario Canada and when I asked the pet shop, they said he's most likely an Ambanja blue.

Here is a picture from a few months back when he is sleeping.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry Will, I had to downsize the photo. Here it is. This was over 2 months ago, late at night while he was sleeping. He goes more pastal orange then this now.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 155
Will Hayward

Hey Will, I love your site. I looked at your photos and picture #20 totally represents Cliff. What Locale is picture #20?

By the way, I plan to breed in the very near future and I think we'd be able to swap bloodlines once I have babies, considering you are probably from the Toronto area? I'm from Woodstock.
I'll be investing about $6000-$8000 into my project to start out. A nice insulated and heated 14x31 shed with auto misting system. They'll all be housed in 18x18x60 enclosures. I'm going to start off with:

2.2 Nosy Be
2.2 Ambilobe
2.2 Ambanja
2.2 Sambava
1.1 Nosy Misito if I can find a pair

Will Hayward. Please see my other thread.

I posted a picture of my panther sleeping. Also, I looked at your pictures on your site and cliff looks a lot like picture #20. Please check that other thread and reply back. Thanks for your help.

Derrik

Thanks colin.

The chameleon in the photo #20 would be from northern Ambilobe area. However, this locale is not being bred in Canada (it is now, but not around the time you had you chameleon). Based on your location, the availability of locales in Canada and the photos, I'm going to put my guess on Maroantsetra, which are very similar to Sambava (and also Tamataves- kind like a geographical mix of the two, as it lies between them) which I see you had previously guessed.

How old is your chameleon? If its still under 18 months, then I'm leaning just as much or more towards Maroantsetra.

I'm located in Burlington. I attend all the expos this side of Canada. www.reptileexpo.ca

Thanks for your reply Will. My Chameleon is roughly 16-18 months old. I got him at roughly 1 year old. He was a trade in to the pet shop that sold him to the customer. This Chameleon is super tame and such a sweetheart. I won't be breeding him as I can't be 100% sure of his locale or if he's a cross breed.

Can you help me with another one? My little female I bought at superpet when she was roughly 2-3 month old. She's now about 4 1/2 months old give or take. Kind of a steep price for her but I just had to have her when I seen her. The guy that was selling her to me thought she was a male... They aren't too informative there. I had to tell him no, she's a female.

Could you take a guess at her locale for me?
Here she is Will.
A really do appreciate your help.

Attachments

• Cleo1.JPG
    Cleo1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Cleo2.JPG
    Cleo2.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Cleo3.JPG
    Cleo3.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 124
Being that hes a store chameleon with unknown history, its possible it is a hybrid. But some more photos could give us better guesses. Try for: sleeping, at a mirror, near a female, outside in full sun, basking. Whatever stimulation used in each photo, let them be exposed to it for several minutes to see full colour.

Don't be trashing Superpet employees- you could be talking about me unknowingly. At the age you received her its very easy to mistake the sex to the untrained eye.

i would be warie of breeding the girl because if you accidently hybrinzed you could screw up a line of pure locales.(also make shure the males locale first

i would be warie of breeding the girl because if you accidently hybrinzed you could screw up a line of pure locales.(also make shure the males locale first

Yeah, I won't be breeding these 2 panthers. These were pets that I wanted because I love Chameleons.
I'll be breeding 100% pure locales when I'm ready to buy in a few months time. I have to get everything built and all set up and in perfect working order before I place any orders for my Chams.

I plan on giving my business to whoever I think has the prettiest Chameleons and best deal. This is what I want as a minimum to start out:

2.2 Nosy Be
1.1 Ambilobe
1.1 Ambanja blue
1.1 Sambava

I'll have 20 cages, 18x18x60. 10 will be empty, but not for very long hehehe.

Back
Top Bottom